Roof design

glkirk

Hello,

Name is Gary, from Va Beach VA

I am an old time Revit user but want to convert to Chief for numerous reasons.

Have 2017 X9

I have an as built I want to draw.

It was built in 1906 so its balloon framed and this alone could cause problems for me as to how the rafters bear. (I think they bear on a plate on top of the ceiling joists.

Is it wise of me to think I could post an address so it could be googled and what I have now (not sure how to do either yet)?

I see the attachment link below, does that attach the whole file!?

Thanks!

Ya, wasn't sure if I could plan on sending the whole file. (Next to impossible in Revit)

The address is 321 W 32nd Street Norfolk VA 23508

You will see that it has a bay window config on the second floor but a squared off cornice, pigeon walk, (as I call it) and a gable above that.     At an 11/12 pitch.

You will also see that it has a couple more gable walls on this 2 and a half story home. (Large attic!)

More I think about it- I think the ceiling joists cantilever to make the soffit,  and the rafters bear on a plate on the ceiling joists.

Anything I could get to help me get a fair start on this would be appreciated.

Home.plan

I do not think it is balloon framed.  It has a bowed area that does not continue to the main roof.  The roof return (the lower roof plane) stops it.  That means there would be a header over the opening to the bowed out area.  You have this on your plans level 2.  The ceiling may be the same level as the rest of the floor or it may lower a bit.  If it is lower, you can place an invisible wall coming straight across and make the bump out a separate room with a lower ceiling.

I gave it a shot...

I created the gable on the front...just tried to make it look like the house.  I used attic walls on level #3...but allowed them to have "room definition"...this helped create the wide soffit.  The soffit and the "floor" of the attic room don't exactly line up...you will have to make some small adjustment...but, it works somewhat.

Someone with more experience may chime in with a better solution...

5a4aa34e78124_HomeFix1.thumb.png.797706ce24c24c1cd502427f2ebaf1c4.png  5a4aa3515e388_HomeFix2.thumb.png.32ba3f7c4c28347f47a5c4e2964b782f.png  5a4aa354742fa_HomeFix3.thumb.png.42a88bf21cbf39fc0366a2f431820463.png

Home-fix1.plan

Home-fix1.plan

OK,

Again, thanks for the help.

I have been able to maybe manipulate your roof but when I try to finish it up, it doesn't draw like yours.

I see yours has a 0 birdmouth height, but it is grayed out for me to change.

Is there a way to "create similar"?

Im wondering if I am to make your roof the default? Not sure how to do that yet!

Don't see a way to build the roof from the attic level?

Now the file wont load!

It is fundamental that you also tell us what version of Chief Architect Premier you are using (Eric suggested that you add that data and perhaps a little about your PC or Mac in your "Signature" for your posts). You access and edit that in your "Profile" for the Forum.

If you have version 8 and someone edits your file in Version 9, you then would not be able to open and edit the file, it is important!

DJP

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry

Its X9

Funny thing, that is one reason I am learning Chief-because different versions Revit don't collaborate.

Anyways, I'm working on this roof- have raised the roof 8.5", its close but not quite there.

Now I understand about the signature thing! I will go there and fill out now.

Thanks

5 hours ago, glkirk said:

I'm sorry

Its X9

Funny thing, that is one reason I am learning Chief-because different versions Revit don't collaborate.

Anyways, I'm working on this roof- have raised the roof 8.5", its close but not quite there.

Now I understand about the signature thing! I will go there and fill out now.

Thanks

I guess you didnt? :)    I see no Sig    see mine for how....

CA can read older version files but not newer , no idea about Revit

M.