Why pay SSA ?

Electromen

I've been a loyal supporter of CA since 1997.  Every year I pay the SSA.  The last two years I paid $495 each, $990 total.  If I hadn't paid last year and kept X8, my cost for two years would only be $556 in the current sale.  It's a greater savings if you upgrade from X7.  CA is rewarding customers who are derelict and punishing their best customers.

It does sound like its a bad deal to stay with SSA

Having SSA gets you access to certain library items

its gets you priority tech support at no additional cost

probably some other benefits

if you don't use any of that then it may be worth it $ wise to skip an upgrade

you also lose out on all the new features while skipping and then end up pay for them anyways

when you finally upgrade

it is a choice

I prefer to stay current

Lew

29 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

It does sound like its a bad deal to stay with SSA

Having SSA gets you access to certain library items

its gets you priority tech support at no additional cost

probably some other benefits

if you don't use any of that then it may be worth it $ wise to skip an upgrade

you also lose out on all the new features while skipping and then end up pay for them anyways

when you finally upgrade

it is a choice

I prefer to stay current

Lew

I want CA to succeed and bring new innovations to the software.   They need money to do that.

I also want to be treated fairly as a loyal customer.  

36 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

You can rent ArchiCAD 21 for about $1,000.00 per month or get AutoDesk Revit for $2,200.00 PER YEAR! or 3D Studio Max for $1,470.00 PER YEAR!. 

Considering that, Chief seems cheap to me.

DJP

I owned AutoCad about 15 years ago.  It's not the cost I'm talking about, it's giving people who do not keep SSA current, a better deal than loyal customers.

Greg,

You're missing a few things in your calculation.

During those the year that you kept SSA current, you:
1)  Were able to take advantage of improvements to the program, which should have resulted in improved efficiency. Let's say the improvements save you 1/2 hour per week. Equals 25 hours per year or at $50/hour benefit = $1,250 per year.

2) Got "free" tech support that otherwise would cost you $125/incident. I probably call Chief tech support at least twice per year. = $250 benefit.

3) Got to use Chief's "cloud" for 3D viewer and Panoramic viewer. I use this all the time. How to price is unknown, but definitely has a significant value, at least to me. (People who let their SSA's lapse don't get this benefit.)

So, you got all of these benefits, PLUS extra library content, over the past year for an extra $434. I'd say SSA is still a heck of a deal. Also, you are now able to deal with learning the new features of X10 alone, rather than learning X9 plus X10 new features both at the same time, which some might find to be a daunting task. 

[And to DJP; I don't know where you got the notion that an ArchiCAD rental is $1000/mo. (More like $273.34/mo. https://archvista.com/product/archicad-rental-monthly/)]

• Upvote 1

Pay it or do not pay it, the choice is freely yours or are you actually trying to start a user revolution or just looking to bolster your already made up mind and choice?. In any case, I am already tired of seeing this thread on a Help Forum (er Gossip corner and complaint desk). Merry Christmas to all otherwise.

DJP

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

Pay it or do not pay it, the choice is freely yours or are you actually trying to start a user revolution or just looking to bolster your already made up mind and choice?. In any case, I am already tired of seeing this thread on a Help Forum (er Gossip corner and complaint desk). Merry Christmas to all otherwise.

DJP

The truth is, I've tried to pay my SSA several times this month.  Every time I sign in and hit pay, I get this message.

"A customized invoice is not currently available for your SSA renewal.

If you would like to learn more about the status of your SSA, please e‑mail or call Sales at 800‑482‑4433 or 208‑292‑3400."

After attempting to pay again yesterday, I received the discount post card in the U.S. Mail.  That's when I made the comparisons of costs.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

I think Chief is trying to put everyone on Auto pay, I had to call and take me off that b//c I don't even have the same card I used last year (changed banks) and there is no way to change it online.. I still haven't got any renewal notices and I usually pay early. Remember, if you have drawn any jobs in X10 as a beta tester, you must pay or you will not be able to access those new jobs.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:27 AM, Electromen said:

The truth is, I've tried to pay my SSA several times this month.  Every time I sign in and hit pay, I get this message.

"A customized invoice is not currently available for your SSA renewal.

If you would like to learn more about the status of your SSA, please e‑mail or call Sales at 800‑482‑4433 or 208‑292‑3400."

After attempting to pay again yesterday, I received the discount post card in the U.S. Mail.  That's when I made the comparisons of costs.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Please give our Sales Department a call regarding your SSA invoice not being available.  There can be a few reasons why the invoice is not available.  We can be reached by phone at 208-292-3400 or email sales@chiefarchitect.com

Derek

Chief Architect Software

I started with Chief 3.1 back in "95" and have upgraded every version earlier they didn't have SSA and when they upgraded the program you had to pay the going price and the upgrades weren't that often roughly about  1 1/2 yrs apart i believe, although I don't use it as much as I used to I still do SSA and am using X9 as it still wows customers which to me is well worth the price