Making a New Template Plan

Kbird1

1st, Apologies to those who read the start of this in the other Thread , I thought whatever info I could get may help others in the future but they may not find it buried in that another Post.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16243-mystery-materials/?do=findComment&comment=136635

My current Template was started in X7 and so I wanted to rebuilt my Template Plan Starting with a Clean Profile.Plan but I don't want to reinstall X9, to get a Clean Profile Plan,  in case it messes something else up by setting everything back to CA's OOB ( Out Of the Box)  settings again...... eg Preferences, Defaults etc.  .

Chief does not provide a Download of just the Default Templates that come with CA X9 unfortunately, So I Contacted Support per Dermot's suggestion in the Other thread and they have provided me with the Default Imperial and Metric Profile Plans , which I have renamed, so you can place them in your Data\Templates Folder without overwriting anything you have in their now. 

I have Zipped them both into one file for download  here : CA Default Profile Plans.zip

Now about Making a New Template from Scratch using these files ,

what can be re-imported without possibly messing up a "Clean Profile.Plan" or re-introducing possible Problems ?

1.        Anno Sets
  2.        Layers Sets
  3.        Macros
  4.        Wall Definitions
  5.        Toolbar Configs
  6.        HotKeys
  7.        Line Styles

anything else ?  or none of the above ? 

I am thinking Importing the Defaults would possibly be a bad idea , but I am thinking about all the work in there like Text Styles etc , or are they included with the Annosets or Layersets anyway? or is there no point importing them without the Defaults? 

I am curious what others have discovered and if there is a "Best Practice" for this since CA suggests redoing it with every new version of Chief.

There is some good information in several KB Articles but I am hoping for some good Info from other Forum Users too :

Plans

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00463/creating-and-using-a-plan-template.html

Layouts

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03018/setting-up-layout-template-pages.html

Thanks,

Mick

Thanks, Mick, for following thru with this topic and uploading the default CA plans. Will be interested to see what others do as I typically use the "safe as" method and don't start a new template with every new release of CA - I do start a new template with some releases though. I, too, am interested in the items that can be "safely" imported from older templates/plans.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 0:49 PM, Ridge_Runner said:

Thanks, Mick, for following thru with this topic and uploading the default CA plans. Will be interested to see what others do as I typically use the "safe as" method and don't start a new template with every new release of CA - I do start a new template with some releases though. I, too, am interested in the items that can be "safely" imported from older templates/plans.

Looks like it must just be you and me Mike who want to do this for X10 ....... 

I have found a few Issues using older Templates , like the new Header Labels not working without a re-frame , and Component List feilds not populate in the ML if you use a X9 or earlier Template.

M.

I've suggested before that settings be stored separately, and a template be made up a group of settings.

A base template supplied with each new version would have a group of settings layered on top, but not be part of the template itself.

Eric:

that sounds like a good solution ...

Lew

On 12/23/2017 at 1:58 PM, Kbird1 said:

I am curious what others have discovered and if there is a "Best Practice" for this since CA suggests redoing it with every new version of Chief.

I've been making new templates each version since X7.

Through versions I've had no issues importing Annosets, Layer Sets, Hotkeys. I keep walls in the library and don't mess much.

At first I let 10 migrate everything but reverted at some point- to an OOB as I was not happy with the toolbar migration so am going to redo those.

Only started on the X10 templates before work got in the way. Anno sets, layer sets, hotkeys and macros  came in ok (some macros renamed themselves-I don't have as many as some of you use though- Joe and Michael can answer issues there best). I'd already had to make adjustments for those sub categories I'd added to the item list with X9 as I was able to substitute OIP field for those. The new expanded OIP options may affect that.

I'd already taken to keeping fewer plan templates and importing defaults from other plans as need. Have never had a problem with that, just wish that more of the defaults could be imported. The few cases where I tried importing defaults into 10 were ok but haven't checked all that completely yet. (changes to windows and floors could matter)

Thanks Mark , appreciate it , that is good info to help me get started .....I am thinking I should reinstall X10 and not let it migrate X9 this time ..... but am aware of the Time involved to do that and set everything up again how I like it....

X10 is forcing Macro renaming if you edit one, 1st letter cannot be a Capital...... at 1st I thought I had a keyboard issue :)

M.

47 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I copy all items from my old template plans to the new profile plan and import some of the other items shown

So you copy and paste anything in your X9 template into a fresh Plan made with the X10 default Template?

I assume you mean things like Section cameras, text boxes , CAD Details etc  , or does your Template also act as your "warehouse plan" and you have all sorts "ready to go"

M.

One other thing I started doing in 9. I keep one plan template with the OOB anno sets. To keep the anno set list more manageable I split them up, one for new construction, one for remodel. Every now and then I've needed some adjustments. When I do that I export the sets and can import them into the template with the OOB set. Just less confusing for me. 

Perry, do you copy saved "room elevation" cameras from one template to another, or do you even use those for things like cabinet elevations? I know some use full section cameras for cabinets. The room elev cameras are some of the ones I have trouble with. They seem to "remember" cabinet labels (discussed in a thread some time back). I thought about just putting them inside a "generic" 4-walled room in the template but some of the recent threads on other potential issues has me reconsidering that option (no enclosed rooms in the template plan was the recommendation).

I had accumulated too much stuff in my X9 template. I had lots of trees and bushes, both 3d and 2d, that surrounded my project pad, to look good in renderings. But I think that was 50k worth of memory right there. When I made the fresh x10 template I saved those off in my User Library. Since the X10beta 2 release I must have already tweaked and resaved my template 30 times.

All my standard details are in my Layout Template. It's too time consuming to reimport them when needed, so they stay there. I delete the ones I don't need. That might not work in the future because I am HOPING Chief will eventually figure out an easy way for easy LIVE callout labels for details and elevations just like they have for sections, that doesn't require playing with macros and invisible leader lines. I might have to switch them to be part of the plan file.

33 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Perry, do you copy saved "room elevation" cameras from one template to another, or do you even use those for things like cabinet elevations? I know some use full section cameras for cabinets. The room elev cameras are some of the ones I have trouble with. They seem to "remember" cabinet labels (discussed in a thread some time back). I thought about just putting them inside a "generic" 4-walled room in the template but some of the recent threads on other potential issues has me reconsidering that option (no enclosed rooms in the template plan was the recommendation).

Yes I have many wall elevation cameras ,and many elevation-section cameras saved in my template plan also. off to the side, then just move them into place or delete them as needed. The room problem is there but very easy to change and not a problem for me, just remember to set your default rooms first thing so when you name your rooms all the defaults come with them. Don't create your slab or raised floor until you have named the rooms first

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Don't create your slab or raised floor until you have named the rooms first

Found this out the hard way. For the life of me I can't seem to understand the monolithic slab generation. Even with my floor defaults set I still get some squirrely floor elevations from room to room with defaults set that seem to change by themselves. But I don't want to hijack this thread. I think it may have something to do with the "save as" work flow I use and CA's "remembering" room settings from prior plans.

5 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Found this out the hard way. For the life of me I can't seem to understand the monolithic slab generation. Even with my floor defaults set I still get some squirrely floor elevations from room to room with defaults set that seem to change by themselves. But I don't want to hijack this thread. I think it may have something to do with the "save as" work flow I use and CA's "remembering" room settings from prior plans.

I would like a better way to have floor defaults in Chief b/c they are in floor defaults ,and room defaults, and framing, so when you name a room the room defaults apply. Too many default places., I think it';s confusing

23 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I would like a better way to have floor defaults in Chief b/c they are in floor defaults ,and room defaults, and framing, so when you name a room the room defaults apply. Too many default places., I think it';s confusing

+1 amen to that !

14 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Perry, do the room defaults over ride the others as a general rule?

When you name a room, I believe the room defaults override any other defaults from framing or floor defaults, that's why I name the rooms first after that then the floor defaults can change them. Some people do not name rooms so I guess then the framing and floor default would apply--vary confusing if you ask me.. I use several types of room defaults for 1st and 2nd floors b/c they usually have different floor types like bedroom 1st and bedroom 2nd and all the other types of rooms needed.