Opening custom template

dhurst

I set up a template plan and layout for everyone in the office to use on new projects.  Each designer has their own Chief Seat, but the template is saved in the network folder.  This is the message that comes up when anyone other than me (the originator) tries to up up the new plan or layout.  What am I missing on setting up the template?  I have set everyone's path on the Preference folder, new plan, to the appropriate file.

template problem.jpg

19 minutes ago, dhurst said:

I set up a template plan and layout for everyone in the office to use on new projects.  Each designer has their own Chief Seat, but the template is saved in the network folder.  This is the message that comes up when anyone other than me (the originator) tries to up up the new plan or layout.  What am I missing on setting up the template?  I have set everyone's path on the Preference folder, new plan, to the appropriate file.

template problem.jpg

Is everyone's network drive the same letter?

BTW, I would have just used Dropbox with a shared folder.  That way the template is stored on each user's computer and synched whenever it's changed.

Dropbox is really easy to use.  Each computer gets a Dropbox.  Folders can then be assigned to the Dropbox which causes the contents to be uploaded to Dropbox.com.  Any folder can be shared with other users and the contents will automatically be synched to all computers.

The advantage is that everyone is working on their own copy.  Whenever a change is made and saved, that file is uploaded to Dropbox.com and then synched to the other computers.  

I would suspect that the network Drive is not setup correctly or the address in the Prefs. is not correct ie it also needs the server name as it is currently looking on each local computer for g:\ Drive not the network , unless you have mapped a network drive to g:\ Drive on every other computer too?  (I would use something higher myself like X: )

//ServerName/g:\G6000\6100 etc etc

ServerName can be the IP address too

//192.168.x.x/g:\G6000\6100 etc etc

I think you are asking the question on the wrong forum. This is most likely a terminal server configuration issue not a Chief issue.

I assume you can log in on your terminal and everything works?

Can other users login on your terminal and have it work?

Can you log in on other users terminals and have it work?

Can you browse to the path on each workstation as each user and see the file?

Most likely you need to talk to a a terminal services expert on this issue. 

Terminal server essentially means you are working on a remote desktop which is very different from a mapped network drive. If I had to guess I would think it's a user permissions issue not a network path issue.

I get the same message that dhurt gets and I mentioned this issue a month or so ago, and I am on a stand alone.  If I open a new template going thru chiefs pull down menu and pick ANY temp-plate, even the ones out of the box I get exactly same thing.  It opens a temp-plate that has nothing attached.  No wall defs, no dim sets, nothing.   But if I go to my C drive, (see below for path), and pick a template and open it that way, it loads correctly. My preference settings are right and have always worked before, so to me this means a bug.  I was thinking it might be linked to a Windows 10 upgrade about the same time. Because I have other issues too, like most of my catalog parts are black and white in the preview browser whereas they always showed a material type before. And all of my background views rendered purple. 

temp.PNG

prefernce setting.PNG

temp 1.PNG

temp 2.PNG

On 12/21/2017 at 0:55 PM, dhurst said:

template problem.jpg

1. Could be that there is a lock on that file (template).  Use Computer Management/System tools/Shared folders/Open files to see if the file is already opened and by whom
  2. Could be a security issue.  Look at the Properties/Security tab of that file and check the permissions.
  3. As others have mentioned, could be the path is not resolved.  From Windows Explorer on a participating PC, try to navigate to that directory.  If you can't, the error message should point to the cause

• 9 months later...

I'm linking a thread where I had a similar problem on most of my textures.  Turns out the issue is that I was running my undo and temp folders on a ram drive for increased speed reading and writing undo files.  Chief does say in the user manual that changing the data paths in preferences>general>folders can cause performance issues.  If your network setup involved changing any of these data paths, then this may be your problem.