Change wall layers when exporting floor plans

MikeDupuis

I am using X9 and having been exporting floor plans into Autocad for various purposes.

I would like to be able to set the layer that the wall lines will be on once exported.

At the moment they go onto separate layers for each wall type and layer of that wall.

I would like to have all the framing for all wall types on one layer, drywall on another, etc

There is no easy way to accomplish what you want. When I export to AutoCAD, I don't normally use the Split Wall Assemblies Into Layers option - as you've observed, it provides far too many layers with unhelpful names. There is a painful workaround:

1. Set up you wall definitions to use a unique color for each "component" of the wall assembly (or as many of the components as matter to you):

walldef.thumb.PNG.a1a9eabf6d2403e766d5f3cbf2c8dde4.PNG

2. Export to AutoCAD, and don't split the wall assemblies. You'll get something like this:

exportresult.thumb.PNG.9dcc8275fd9f3dc121960f16a0c700cf.PNG

3. In AutoCAD, create and set up your layers as you like:

layers.thumb.PNG.57b273ad1166e33ad41b68426b5f33ef.PNG

4. Then use CHPROP with a color filter to select the components and assign them to the appropriate Layer and the color to BYLAYER:

chprop.thumb.PNG.548569d00327fcfc85ae7974c4544bfa.PNG

5. This series of operations gives you what you want, albeit it requires some setup in Chief that may, or may not, be worth your time:

result.thumb.PNG.6117b884685e4f9d9eca5835f908c0a2.PNG

I think I'll request a solution to this in the Suggestion Forum. Good luck.

Robert,

Thanks for that.....I am already doing a similar thing

Tried using custom linetypes but they do not get exported when sending out to Autocad

The current plan is to do exactly what you describe and I am going create a lisp routine to automate the process.

Do you get overlapping/broken lines for the walls on the floor plans, even worse on exported elevations.

I've never exported elevations. Plan views do require clean-up. Most of my exports are used by subs (MEP, civil, etc.) who don't really care how pretty the linework is - they use them as a background to lay out their own work. If you're exporting to folks who need to manipulate your work, or if you need to manipulate it before passing it on, then I feel your pain. Writing a LISP routine should be quick and help automate the process - the real work is in setting up Chief to provide the export in a format that works for your process.