Importing files

rikdekker

21 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I would want either 3DS or SKP.

Hey Alaskan, someone should figure out how to sticky your trick about deleting surfaces and converting to symbol to separate material ID's when the import is just one color...thats something rikdekker is going to run into here. I can't find that post

This is very frustrating.

When I bring the symbol in as 3DS the materials import but sizing is messed up even when I specify size. Also: some of the elements are way out of place.

When I use SKP then I can get the size to cooperate but the materials won't import.

On 12/15/2017 at 11:14 AM, rikdekker said:

This is very frustrating.

When I bring the symbol in as 3DS the materials import but sizing is messed up even when I specify size. Also: some of the elements are way out of place.

When I use SKP then I can get the size to cooperate but the materials won't import.

This varies from model to model dependent on the author of the model. Some authors package there items properly bound together, others assumes the software on the down-loaders end will compile the same way they export.

In past if I am in dire need of a particular model which is blown up and out of proportion or all over the place, I end up fixing the file myself in 3ds max.

Keep in mind poly/face counts are crucial for chief to work correctly. Knowing your end goal will help to advise you on process. If you intend to design in chief and export or render elsewhere then use existing furniture as place markers. If you intend to design and raytrace in chief then be very mindful of poly counts.

Importing materials from a sketchup file works with a few tricks. Alaskan Son has a post some where about it. It's very time intensive though

On 12/15/2017 at 8:59 AM, Renerabbitt said:

Hey Alaskan, someone should figure out how to sticky your trick about deleting surfaces and converting to symbol to separate material ID's when the import is just one color...thats something rikdekker is going to run into here. I can't find that post

Hey Rene,  here's that thread I think you're referring to...

I think this one is definitely worth looking at though as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Thanks for your responses.  I got busy with the holidays and have been off this thread for a while.

Like everything else the more I play with the stuff the easier it will get.

I have learned a lot on this project and will definitely keep this thread as reference for the next project.

Hope to find some time to just play around with it but finding time is a whole other topic for another thread.

Best wishes for 2018! 

Rik