Cabinet Default Issue

SallyMac52

I may be missing something here or it could be a glitch.  If anyone else has an answer I would appreciate your help.

I've changed the default cabinet prior to beginning my plan (below Cabinet Default 1), however the old default is still showing when I choose a material (below Cabinet Default).  Also when I place a side panel the panel is the old default (below Cabinet Default 2).  How do I remove the old default?

I put the screen shots below showing the set up.

Cabinet Default 1.JPG

Cabinet Default 2.JPG

Cabinet Default.JPG

Post the plan please to get better help, also add version of software and some information about your computer to your signature..... but this should get you started.

• The largest number of cabinet defaults that are dynamic (anything listed with (D) after it), those that will change across the plan when you change a default setting are those from the Build menu (or those you made and placed in your library that are made from those) The other cabinets in Chief's library will be dynamic for "some" defaults and simply don't follow others even when first placed in plan. I simply avoid those cabinets entirely to get more consistent results. The easy way to do that is to make a couple of dozen of your own cabinets and place them in the library,.
  • The default material for cabinets and doors needs to be set both in the cabinet default AND the material default. If it is only set in the cabinet default and you select a new door that uses"plan default" it will use the MATERIAL default NOT the cabinet default. (yeah it's a PIA)
  • Side panels need to also be set in the cabinet default, separately from the door style. That is done in the accessories tab.
  • Always use doors in the library that are set to "use default" (which will be the material default) so always select that before adding a door symbol to your user library.

I've posted the plan. I am using Premier X9, sorry I meant to mention that in my initial post. 

My company uses Merillat cabinetry exclusively and since Merillat is one of the manufacturers it works very well for me. 

I looked for an Accessories tab in the default settings to set the panel, but did not see it in the main list or in the cabinet listing.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

I did change the default material, but it made no difference.  Is it because I am using a manufacturers cabinet?

Thanks for all the help.

Sally

X9 Premier

Intel Core i5-6300U CPU

Bellmeade_Builder.plan

1 hour ago, SallyMac52 said:

I've posted the plan. I am using Premier X9, sorry I meant to mention that in my initial post. 

My company uses Merillat cabinetry exclusively and since Merillat is one of the manufacturers it works very well for me. 

I looked for an Accessories tab in the default settings to set the panel, but did not see it in the main list or in the cabinet listing.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

I did change the default material, but it made no difference.  Is it because I am using a manufacturers cabinet?

Thanks for all the help.

Sally

X9 Premier

Intel Core i5-6300U CPU

Bellmeade_Builder.plan

Side panel in the accessories tab of the cabinet defaults-5a32cdeb1eadc_screen017.thumb.png.fe7acd7c0b4b243bfe429c6b2a28e92c.png

I don't have a Merrilat Catalog on my machine so you have to change that yourself.

Material defaults- NOT in the cabinet defaults but here5a32ce3ba6abe_screen018.thumb.png.111c0efd46890b203db0cf1000ac63d6.png5a32ce4345a1b_screen019.thumb.png.9649538078c4344aa3a186aa32446912.png

Plan with "Material Default-Cabinet and Cabinet Door/Drawer updated to Maple Cotton-Tuscan. Checked and it works.

That was the point I was trying to make and I realize it is %)()& confusing. Setting the default material in the "cabinet default" will work UNTIL you change door style. A new door style will usually be set to "Use Default" and believe it or not that DOES NOT mean what you set in the cabinet-simply put it sucks but now you know.

Bellmeade_Buildeer_def.plan

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

That was the point I was trying to make and I realize it is %)()& confusing. Setting the default material in the "cabinet default" will work UNTIL you change door style. A new door style will usually be set to "Use Default" and believe it or not that DOES NOT mean what you set in the cabinet-simply put it sucks but now you know.

One of my areas of frustration in CA - too many places to set "defaults." My simple mind just thinks, "If I set cabinet defaults they should be under cabinets and not materials also." Maybe this is logical for some but not for me.

47 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

One of my areas of frustration in CA - too many places to set "defaults." My simple mind just thinks, "If I set cabinet defaults they should be under cabinets and not materials also." Maybe this is logical for some but not for me.

Amen

22 hours ago, MarkMc said:

The easy way to do that is to make a couple of dozen of your own cabinets and place them in the library,.

Mark, yes I avoid the CA Library cabinets too, but it's frustrating that the "Build" menu has only base and wall cabinets, not sink bases, drawer units etc. When you say make your own and place in library, are you saying those cabinets will now behave like the ones in the "Build" menu? Can you please expand on this advice? Thank you.

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

make your own and place in library, are you saying those cabinets will now behave like the ones in the "Build" menu? Can you please expand on this advice? Thank you.

The major problem with the Chief library cabinets is they are traditional overlay AND box construction is NOT dynamic. If your business is anything like mine (I've sold maybe half a dozen trad overlay kitchens in 20 years) it means you have to change the construction every single time on any of them,

Top row drawer height is also not a dynamic default so that has to change for brands and/or construction type. Finally there is no "B" drawer (lower drawer, large drawer) default anywhere. Lastly the automatic labels work for some cabinets in some brands.

My method- make a shortcut key for each type of cabinet i the build menu (CB; CW;CT) My cab default width is 15", toe and top drawer by brand, labels vary by brand (longer topic)

Make a plan for a brand/construction. Make the cabinet you need in the plan and save it. Ovens, trash, any pullouts, micro cabients, if you use multiple susan types, talls, a few panels...like that. You can always add to it.

Set the label for each cabinet to match your brands catalog. To make your life easier later in the procedure-type each label into a table or spreadsheet.

Make sure everything is set to use default-side panel, door, hardware, all materials, like that.

Then make a folder in the user library (library management is another long topic)

NOW- with both Chief and your spreadsheet of labels open (two monitors or tiled side by side) Select a cabinet-add to library (another shortcut key for me), when it gets in the library it will simply say base cabinet or wall cabinet. Select it, press f2  (to rename) go over to your spreadsheet, select the label, ctrl + c (to copy), back to chief, ctrl +v to paste it

Do that for each cabinet.

If you need another brand or construction then open that plan you saved and change the cabinets, save as, and add them again.

In use design with just the cabinets from the build menu, keep in mind what you want to put where, then use replace from library (shortcut key) to get the cabinet you have stored and place it there. Gotta go now