Panelled Archway using Cabinetry

anvl369

Hello CA gurus :)

I cannot figure out how to get door panels on the BOTTOM of a cabinet - see .jpeg of where I am and what I'm trying to accomplish.  The cabinet dbx box only allows panels on sides of cabinets, or matching front and back.  I thought I could change the axis of the cabinet but I haven't found that little treasure  - if that's even possible..?.. Thanks!

PANELLED ARCHWAY FROM BOOKCASES.JPG

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, anvl369 said:

Chopsaw you can't make a door lay flat in the right axis.  That was my first try.

Yes.  You can but its a little tricky if you don't understand how to use Stretch Planes/Zones.  This might be the simplest method...

1. Drop the door or drawer front into a blank plan as a freestanding fixture.
  2. Resize the panel as necessary
  3. Take a 3D view and convert to symbol
  4. Drop the new symbol into your plan and rotate it onto its side by clicking on Open Symbol and then using the rotation settings.
  5. Before closing out the Symbol Specification dbx, click on the 2D Block tab and click Generate Block.
  6. Click Okay and then put the new symbol into position.
  • Upvote 2

Sorry, I was not that clear.  As usual, there are two ways to solve a problem.  I merely made a new cabinet 1" deep and 12" wide and 83" high to be just higher than your door casing.  I then made a new cabinet with door panels and shelves as per your design and the height you need (24" w x 12" deep x 96" I assume). 

The first cabinet is then placed on the side next to the second  (front) cabinet.  Mirror that to other side of door.  Add 2 wall cabinets above and you have your design.

Late to the party as was on the train. Assuming you want panels on the underside of the section above the doorway? Similar to Michaels solution (and Chopsaw) it's a symbol. Instead of just using a cabinet door I used an entire cabinet- used a wainscot panel door I had and a back insert door to make the verticals line up with the front. Did not mess with stretch zones- here's plan with finished piece at 72" and the parts used.

screen 015.png

Over door box all.plan

Alaskan_Son that was very easy!...and it's scalable - thank you!!!....here's what it looks like :) 

Now if there is a way to make that panelling section without the joints (as it would be in real life - like they do at the factory) that would be a miracle.

Great day I learned something new :)

PANELLED ARCHWAY FROM BOOKCASES 3.JPG

1 hour ago, anvl369 said:

Yeah I think you're right Mark Mc.  It'll just be an added bonus when the cabinets arrive :)

You misunderstand. What you want is not  a miracle, it's easy.

I gave you does what you want. In this thread it's a complete cabinet with no seams converted to a symbol. In the symbol thread I showed you how to make a single piece with multiple panels with no seams- place one of those in a blank plan and convert to a symbol the way Michael said to do.