Exterior Dims of inside items

mtldesigns

I know we can story board dimension, but its not the real clearest thing I've used in my experiences (it basically just throws a line out there across the elevation). In the old days, a hidden line representing floor or ceiling was drawn, and we dim'd to that.  Is there any way to do this with CA from within the model, or do I need to draw hidden lines manually?  

I was able to replicate a Storypole dimension setup manually in X7 with the existing tools that looked the same as the previews for X8 at the time but it was totally manual however there was something nice about level of control it gave.  I used cad lines for some of the snap points but even though I have not tried it yet a cad detail from view could be overlaid for all the snap points you would ever need, but again not live, but maybe that is what you are looking for as it does have it's benefits.

I figured I would have to do the old fashion way with cad lines.  Was hoping there was a live "show floor or ceiling" button in an elevation view that I was not aware of.  Thanks for confirming what I thought.  An overlay, hmm.. guess I can try that too.

It depends on how detailed you need to be but most of the the critical elevations can be looked up quite quickly and cad lines set to those elevations.  I usually always double check those numbers anyway so in effect you are saving a step.  Have a play with the cad detail anyway and see how it goes.

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding the question, but a few things come to mind...

1. You can use normal dimensions which will snap to a whole ton of your various elevation points even if you don't see any of the related lines.  You can then check Draw Elevation Marker if you'd like.
  2. You can clean up the Story Pole Dimensions by adjusting extensions, line styles, markers, text, etc.
  3. You can avoid the CAD Detail step by simply moving your camera so that it cuts through the house.  Place all your dimensions by snapping to the cross section lines and then drag your camera bag outside the building.