How cool is this

NiceTry

Can we please see some video footage of this...as I see zero evidence of this on the net.... This is obviously going to be the way we do things in the near future, and I see no evidence whatsoever of Chief supporting this (they really should if they want to remain relevant).

• Downvote 2

8 hours ago, NiceTry said:

This is obviously going to be the way we do things in the near future...

I think you're playing it kind of fast and loose with the word "obviously".  It might look kinda cool but I personally don't want one.

We've had all sorts of tablets and touch screens available for quite some time now for Chief as well as a multitude of other apps and many people (myself included) simply don't like to work that way for a variety of reasons. 

Anyway, perhaps the reason you see no "evidence" is that there is no good reason to show any evidence.  Its not rocket science.  As far as I can tell its just a giant super expensive tablet.  There are people using Chief on smaller tablets.  Just not many people probably in the market for a $10,000-$20,000 tablet I imagine.

Yeah, the whole Ideum thing goes WAAAAAY beyond a touch screen, and I concur that a simple touch screen wouldn't bring much to the table.  But what I presented in the first post is another thing altogether.  I encourage you folks to understand just what Ideum is and what it can bring to the table in terms of usability.  Thanks for the video, it shows a great touch screen interface that Chief is working with.....Ideum tables are so much much more than a simple touch screen though, and I really hope they work on implementing it, as the current level of tech that Chief is throwing out to the market is just stale, especially to us Mac folk (CLUNKY Windows app on a Mac....guys....please)

• Downvote 3

I honestly can't think of a reason I would want to use one of these fandangled contraptions. LOL Back when they first released the HP TouchSmart desktop all in one computers, I hoped on board and bought one. Big price, Low Low quality. I love technology, but I just can't see a feasible reason I would need Ideum table. The price of these things are insane... 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rosco2017 said:

I honestly can't think of a reason I would want to use one of these fandangled contraptions. LOL Back when they first released the HP TouchSmart desktop all in one computers, I hoped on board and bought one. Big price, Low Low quality. I love technology, but I just can't see a feasible reason I would need Ideum table. The price of these things are insane... 

Amen brutha.  Besides the  lack of a rational need for one, a lack of want, and the insane price;  there are still a ton of other reasons why they could actually be a bad idea that have nothing to do with the technology itself… things you might not think of until after you've made your poor decision… 

-Where are you going to put the thing?  And how will it be affected by the glare from various lights and windows where you work? 

-If you are like me and have your desk covered with various crucial notes, brochures, folders, pens, pencils, calculators, staplers, etc.  where the heck are you going to put those things?   Are you going to be happy about walking somewhere to get to those items or turning around every three seconds to access them at your other desk? 

-Do you really want to be swinging your arms all across that big desk all day long? Or does a simple keyboard and mouse start to sound like a welcome reprieve?

-Got cupcake frosting on your fingers?...

You guys have made great points.  But here's my take.

How would this drafting table make me more productive for the money?  How would drafting with my fat fingers on a touch display be more precise than a mouse pointer a few pixels wide?  Would I be trading the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome for muscular stress?

I can certainly see the glitz of having one of these as an exhibit medium.  I also see some benefit of visualizing more details on a 65" 4k display, but I could also get a less expensive 65" monitor.

Unfortunately, Ideum's site basically talks about specs, which I LOVE, but nothing on ROI from an architectural point of view.

• Upvote 4