Joist Hangers for ICF Walls

tswitos

Community,

I have been watching a lot of Chief training videos on how to make walls, foundations, and floor joists, and I am trying to figure out a way to integrate joist hangers into the ICF wall to connect the floor joists.  In the real world, the footer is poured first, then the ICF wall erected, reinforced, joist hangers inserted, and braced, then concrete poured into the ICF wall.  The ICF wall will start on the footer and rise all the way up to the ceiling of the room, (and this will include the encapsulated crawl space), for example, 13 feet high.  And the joist hangers will be, for example, 3 feet above the footer.  Can Chief do this?  Thanks in advance.

I have inserted an example of an ICF with a floor joist attached.

joist-holder-3.JPG

I found this image from an older post, and it shows one type of hanger that comes with Chief (ICF wall ledger at floor), but that is not in my library.

joist-holder-4.JPG

You seem to want a CAD detail, and I am not sure your trial version can import CAD details or libraries of them.  You should be able to, from scratch, create any CAD detail you can imagine.

Did you solve your building issue?  Are you able to model a structure with the floor structure hung from the wall, rather than platformed onto it?  Wood-frame platform construction is Chief's default.  To do what you want with ICF construction you are going to have to learn some settings specs that balloon walls and make floor frames that hang to them.

I gotta ask this, about Softplan.  Do their trial version CAD details have all the ICF ones you need for your whole project?

• Upvote 1

Chief could be used for what you want no problem. It will be all about settings in defaults to get what you're after. You could place joist hangers from the library for the floor joists. The Simpson ICFVL is to support the ledger and found in Simpson catalog in library. I don't think you can use the SSA catalogs with trial version though. 

• Upvote 1

GeneDavis,

For SoftPlan, I have not been able to locate CAD details yet.  I have been spending most of my time learning Chief.  I do like the ribbon based GUI in SoftPlan vs all the pull-down text menus in Chief.  But I guess you have the custom toolbars in Chief, which helps speeds up the process.

7 hours ago, justmejerry said:

Chief could be used for what you want no problem. It will be all about settings in defaults to get what you're after. You could place joist hangers from the library for the floor joists. The Simpson ICFVL is to support the ledger and found in Simpson catalog in library. I don't think you can use the SSA catalogs with trial version though. 

I don't think the trial version of Chief has the joist hangers.