Ray Trace - Glowing edges

D11-Design

Dear All,

5a281c867ffed_render3.thumb.png.483042ca2ba7367695ac6284deca1b19.png

This is a 50 pass render with only sunlight turned on. Ambient occlusion: min. 0.1 max. 2.0.

My problem is obvious: the glowing edges at the northern part of the image. Have tried adding a foundation + roof, no success.

Any ideas? Will try to solve the issue with Affinity Photo, but it would be much more efficient if raw ray traces looked OK. I have seen ray trace images with sunlight with no glowing edges so there must be some solution (the issue only occurs when sunlight is on).

The side of the hood also doesn't look quite client-friendly. Someone suggested adding spot lights, is that the only way to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Gabor

Just took a quick look at your plan. The roof could be a problem as there are no overhangs on several of the sides, try building this again. With the foundation it needs to have a floor, the foundation you have seems to be just a slab type. You may need to change this so you can assign an actual floor to it.

Graham is way more knowledgable that I at this, as matter of fact I am trying to learn from his work. I agree with him, I looked at your plan and after rebuilding the roof and the foundation I ran a quick RT and I did not get the same light issue as you did.

Unfortunately I'm on a timeline and I need to run a RT for a project of mine and I could not finish rendering yours. 

Also I ran mine with uniform intensity at 1.5 and I unchecked the use camera view settings. 

I hope this helps

Hi rispgiu,

Could you please put the modified plan here.

I have added the roof but it does not show in the camera view inside the room (outside the roof is visible). Could that be a problem?

I have tried the plan in the Let's ray trace thread and it worked. When I removed the roof, there was light bleed, when I added the roof, it was gone (!). The only difference I noticed is that the edge of the roof is visible inside.

So I am still not able to fix the issue in my plan.

Do you have Premier? I have Interiors, I believe that can be the issue. Whatever I place outside the room (house) it is not visible through the window.

However, in the plan from the Let's ray trace thread I can place objects outside and they are visible (perhaps that plan was made with Premier?). So because the roof in my plan is not visible inside, it means it is not taken into consideration during Ray Tracing?

Or any other idea?

In photography I would say you were "blowing the highlights"   you are way too bright and your intensity level is way high too.

Contrast is 100% cos you left it on Auto etc under Tone Mapping

Rebuild the Roof on Auto , you have tried adjusting the planes,  as this works for me.... I don't have all your textures like on the ottoman etc. so 50 passes only took 1.22 Minutes , (1280 x720)  my usual 10 passes took 17 secs ...maybe the fastest I have seen , no textures helps apparently :)

Capture30.thumb.JPG.3a17d7e124d3f83af7fab7661de1e35d.JPG

Take a look at these Settings for a Starter , hopefully you have X9? , you have not filled in your signature so people know your specs....see mine below for a how too...

Csoport_2B.plan.zip

• Upvote 1

I thought you had set the Windows to Opaque glass ? but didn't check, I know Interiors can't generate a Sky ( I don't use it much anyway) but I had assumed you still had Backdrops ? 

I can turn it on in your plan but I have Premier. Interiors can't do Terrain etc either which maybe why they don't let you place objects outside.

3D>3D view defaults>Backdrop

you may want to look at what you can and can't do in Interiors....

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x9feature-matrix.pdf

Capture31.JPG

1 hour ago, D11-Design said:

Hi rispgiu,

Could you please put the modified plan here.

I have added the roof but it does not show in the camera view inside the room (outside the roof is visible). Could that be a problem?

I have tried the plan in the Let's ray trace thread and it worked. When I removed the roof, there was light bleed, when I added the roof, it was gone (!). The only difference I noticed is that the edge of the roof is visible inside.

So I am still not able to fix the issue in my plan.

Hello, I didn't have all of the textures you did but here is the file with roof and foundation. The file that Mick provided you with might be better than mine, you may want to try that one first. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. 

Csoport_2B.G-R.plan.zip

the biggest issue is the Tone Mapping Settings ...just way to bright.... I set set it up something close to Graham's Post here ....

Tone Mapping "ON"

Contrast 35%

Intensity 35%

Softness 4%

Color Correction 0%

Brightness 48%

Contrast 70%

Saturation 50%

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/14512-lets-ray-trace/?do=findComment&comment=123490

Please note I always do my ray traces with photon mapping turned ON as it looks much more realistic to me.

I am now starting to believe the issue could be fixed by upgrading to Premier (which ray traces outside objects, such as the roof as well). So the roof would put shadows in the way of sunlight, not like now when the roof is not visible which I think means the roof is not there when ray tracing.

Alternatively, I am curious about the upcoming X10 (because this light bleeding is clearly a rendering bug in X9, let's hope it will be sorted out in X10). Someone mentioned a new function called physical rendering. Do you know anything about that? Or when X10 will be out?

You can get a hint about PB Rendering in the X10 Preview Video, but it's public release is 4-6mths away I'd think , usually comes in the 1st or 2nd quarter of each year and as long as you have current SSA you get the upgrade free , so no reason not to go full version now , there is an option to Rent Premier too.

Yes Photons on in all above pics but Caustics Off as they increase the time factor ......

Send your Plan to TS and get a few answers , as I see no reason Interiors shouldn't be able to do a good RT of an Interior, The Bleed is a known problem with the RT engine if there is no Roof or Floor system/foundation , not sure it classifies as a Bug though since the light needs something to bounce off and contain it...

M.

Gentlemen,

look at this:

5a293d195665d_render8.thumb.png.c686947fc08db107996f473d749dba4e.png

I have figured out the solution. I need to build a roof when a new plan is started.

When I added the roof in the existing, furnished plan it was not visible in the camera views and therefore, it was not ray traced.

I had to start a new plan, draw the walls again and copy all the furnishing. When I copied the camera from the original plan, the roof was still not visible! However, when I placed a new camera in the new plan, the roof was there and the ray trace is finally OK...

Thanks for all your help!