Creating Mirrors of Different Shapes

BFogarty

Working on a small bath renovation, the owner is choosing to add some ADA elements.  I am  attempting to create a mirror that angles down, so if a person is in a wheelchair, they'll be able to use it.  Inside the plan I have 2 blocks, one shows a mirror reflection, the other is in a polyline solid that I've created in the shape I'd like to have as a mirror.

When I change the shape to anything other than a square or rectangle, I lose the mirror reflection.

Am I attempting to do something that just isn't going to work?

Plan is attached.

Thanks!

Kelley_Bath_Renovation.plan

You are right , for some reason the Poly Solid won't hold the Mirror material , if the Solid isn't rectangular in shape ,

The easy Fix was to add a 1/8" thick 3D Box in Front of the Solid and Rotate it to the same angle as the Solid ... 5° I think?

Since I had it made, I blocked it and then dropped it into a Blank plan and made a symbol out of it for you, hope it helps....

Angled Mirror_MHD.calibz

Capture86.thumb.JPG.5faf7eb5962995622467cc45cfe63b0e.JPG

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You are right , for some reason the Poly Solid won't hold the Mirror material , if the Solid isn't rectangular in shape ,

The easy Fix was to add a 1/8" thick 3D Box in Front of the Solid and Rotate it to the same angle as the Solid ... 5° I think?

Since I had it made, I blocked it and then dropped it into a Blank plan and made a symbol out of it for you, hope it helps....

Angled Mirror_MHD.calibz

Capture86.thumb.JPG.5faf7eb5962995622467cc45cfe63b0e.JPG

That's awesome, thank you very much!

18 hours ago, BFogarty said:

Working on a small bath renovation, the owner is choosing to add some ADA elements.  I am  attempting to create a mirror that angles down, so if a person is in a wheelchair, they'll be able to use it.  Inside the plan I have 2 blocks, one shows a mirror reflection, the other is in a polyline solid that I've created in the shape I'd like to have as a mirror.

When I change the shape to anything other than a square or rectangle, I lose the mirror reflection.

Am I attempting to do something that just isn't going to work?

Plan is attached.

Thanks!

Kelley_Bath_Renovation.plan

I think you found a pretty strange little quirk that I've never noticed before.  Easiest fix IMO is to convert the p-solid to a solid and then explode that solid.  You will then get the reflections.  To make things easier on yourself you can block those faces while they are still selected so you have a single object.  You can then paint the other faces with whatever material you want and possibly convert to symbol or add to library as is. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think you found a pretty strange little quirk that I've never noticed before.  Easiest fix IMO is to convert the p-solid to a solid and then explode that solid.  You will then get the reflections.  To make things easier on yourself you can block those faces while they are still selected so you have a single object.  You can then paint the other faces with whatever material you want and possibly convert to symbol or add to library as is. 

I was thinking the same, but just wasn't sure.

The original p-solid I made would've have mirror reflections on all different sides/angles, wasn't sure if the program could support that.