How do I create automatic stumps/posts

CA-User

We mainly design raised homes on stumps. I have been placing my own stumps in the internal section, which is time consuming. Is there a way to replicate a Deck so it has the automatic stumps, but have the inside set up with the internal defaults? 

Is it also possible to have automatic corbels?

Dalby rear.jpg

Very Nice Chopsaw , thanks for the Stump Symbol too, makes this easy to setup, this method seems to work great.... I haven't experimented enough to find out what the downsides are if any yet?.....

Not sure what you mean by " Too bad that railing walls can't be saved " though  , I made some changes , so they were how I'd want to see the Pilings and Beams in 3D, and changed a few of the railing settings eg no half post and saved the Wall to the Library, and was able to reuse the New Pilings Wall ( as I called it ) in a new plan.

Here is my Plan and the new Wall type to look at :

Treated Pilings Wall.calibz

Piling Wall Plan.plan

Capture85.thumb.JPG.e3e63b897823b0d1cbd4ff3a1a052f0d.JPG

Edited by Kbird1
Updated Files

Very Well Done Mick,  I was just thinking that now that I am learning how to manipulate railings a little better that there are likely many more variations for railings than interior and exterior walls for a house and wouldn't it be great if we could edit and save them like regular walls.  But it looks like I will have to set up a Library file until that time comes.

Chopsaw,

I'm not sure what you did because I haven't got access to Chief.

Why are you using a symbol?

From memory, my method used the newels as the stumps - very easy to change the spacing, size, materials, etc.

ie, to change the timber stumps to brick piers.

Glenn,  Symbol was for two reasons, multiple materials as we don't very often put timber below grade here in Canada and also the symbol allows it to be below grade without messing around after it is placed.  I should have showed you a better view.  It could even have a post saddle to meet code that way.

Below grade Railing Stumps.jpg

Chopsaw , I just updated my files above as I noticed the new Wall was not reporting correctly in the Wall Type Drop down box  , it should now show in the Wall Types Dropdown as 6 x 8 Piling Wall.

better to to get the new file if you tried the old one, as I think the old one was using one of your standard wall names xxxx.x.4_ND ? which may mess your Wall Types up , not sure ?

I guess you know that once you draw the 1st section of wall in the Plan , it is then available to edit via the normal dropdown too?

M.

Yes I see that now Mick,  thanks for the tip, it seems that my test plan was not completely polished as it was a brand new Idea from Glenn that I had never tested before.  ND is my framing only railing ( No Drywall ).  So it is a good Idea to make a custom named wall type for each library railing or is it simpler to just edit the Library name as I think the wall types could get excessive for me.

I found had to Rename the Wall in the Wall Type Dropdown , resave it to the Library and then it used the Correct name in the Dropdown , so I updated the files above , I guess you  can rename it that way to anything you like too :)  .....

I guess if you dropped it into your Template Plan it would always be available Correct?

4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I guess if you dropped it into your Template Plan it would always be available Correct?

Yes but does that not screw up your material list just like my Wall Legend that had real walls in it.

Not if it is not in the Legend , not that a couple of feet in the legend is enough to throw the ML off enough to effect anything as far as pricing goes. And it would still be in the drop down though for use if needed.

I just tried it you can actually drop it in from the Library , then delete the wall you drew and it will remain in the Wall Types Dropdown List , and doing this in the Template, then saving it, means you will always have it accessible.

How are you doing your legend out of interest?

M.

Good to know about the template plan,  so it is worth while giving it a unique wall type and name.  Good work.

I resorted to cad for the wall legend and unfortunately that was before I realize it could be done with cad detail from view.  Oh well learning pains but at least they don't all show up in camera view over in the yard any more.

12 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Good to know about the template plan,  so it is worth while giving it a unique wall type and name.  Good work.

I resorted to cad for the wall legend and unfortunately that was before I realize it could be done with cad detail from view.  Oh well learning pains but at least they don't all show up in camera view over in the yard any more.

:)  that was why I was curious , it always seemed to be in the way , so my current Template Plan doesn't have one....

M.