What are your thoughts about Chief X10's new 'Plan Views' feature?

HumbleChief

Seems like a great feature to me. I would think one could set up a plan template with all the saved plan views ready to go and just switch between views for almost all of the design tasks.  Layouts could be further set up and adjusted as well even though that's possible today. Just curious about others' view on this new feature.

very nice indeed.

multiple layout sets all at once.. def will help with efficiency.    

and.. changing layout view port shapes.

can't wait to see what else was implemented from all of our suggestions from the past year.  

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I don't understand plan views? I mean, I already have my layout pages populated with dummy floor, framing, roofing, electrical, elevations, crossections and other views that are sent there from annotation sets and referenced by page in the project browser. I replace the dummy plan with my new plan when I need a new layout.   Then I use my layout to navigate back to my plan views with corresponding annotation sets.

It seems plans views creates more steps to achieve the same thing, but it's all new to me, so I'm sure I'm missing something.  Anyone know what's more efficient about plan views?

5a87a840c5a7f_LayoutTemplateprojectbrowser.thumb.jpg.8ab7da4ee6cf272c790f91b506eeda2d.jpg

Saved plan views work very similar to the way layout boxes work.  They basically capture all of the same info. 

If you have a system that already works for you, you don't really need to change. 

Here are some advantages:

Saved plan views don't require you to always work with a layout open. 

You can switch between different saved plan views using the new toolbar dropdown.

You can open and close them using the project browser. 

You can have as many plan views open as you like and they're more independent of each other now. 

You can create new ones by saving any plan view at any time. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Saved plan views work very similar to the way layout boxes work.  They basically capture all of the same info. 

If you have a system that already works for you, you don't really need to change. 

Here are some advantages:

Saved plan views don't require you to always work with a layout open. 

You can switch between different saved plan views using the new toolbar dropdown.

You can open and close them using the project browser. 

You can have as many plan views open as you like and they're more independent of each other now. 

You can create new ones by saving any plan view at any time. 

You can switch floors with your desired Anno Set Layer set already set up. This is a GREAT feature IMO.

Here's a video Eric linked from another thread which explains a lot of the intricacies within Plan Views.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2421/saved-plan-views.html

Nice job Chief.

I just only downloaded X10 yesterday but one observation is that if you were experiencing sluggishness from having a layout open while working on your plans then “Plan Views” is the solution for you. 

I can have multiple views open and there doesn’t seem to be a difference in performance. 

I also like the automatically suggested titles when you click on “save plan view”.