What to do about Undo?

Tdgdesign

Hi all. New to X9 from like V10.0something. The undo command back THEN was a major shortcoming of this program. It still is today. Might even be worse, IMO. I am currently renting-to-own this program and overall am very happy with a lot of the new  features that have been added over the years but this lack of functionality with the Undo command is a major disappointment. It really impedes the creative process when you're constantly thinking about how long it will take to Undo the commands you need to implement in order to test drive a new design element. Having to constantly save and reboot is a major pain in the butt. On top of that you cant even see what commands you are actually undoing while it is lagging out or if the undo command was even recognized by the program at all. This is simply awful. I think this issue is what keeps Chief in the minor leagues. To be able to do and undo on the fly is critical for good design.

I am really considering terminating my rent-to-own over this unless there is some workaround I am missing.  I have tried turning off all unnecessary elements, layers, etc and it really doesn't help. I am running on a very capable laptop that blows through all of my other design programs - AutoCAD, Sketchup, Revit, etc. It can even do heavy Raytracing without effecting my work in Chief or any other applications running simultaneously. Interestingly enough the Undo command doesn't get worse while Raytracing - its just always horrible,

I really want to add this program to my tool box. If anyone has any help on this or news of CA attempts to fix this issue  I would greatly appreciate it!

Have you called tech support? Undo was very much improved with either X8 or 9 (can't remember) Just tested mine again- most objects are almost instantaneous, roof planes are a bit hitting 2.5 seconds on my machine. I have maximum undos set to 100, that used to be a bottleneck and had to be kept lower. Maybe another setting?

I have been using, teaching, tutoring and developing this software since the mid-nineties. Your description and my experience DO NOT MATCH. This has never been an issue for any version for me. If you have a negative opinion and outlook towards Chief, there is little I can do or say to change what you have already decided is true. That is all I have to say, you do what seems best for you.

DJP

I have ALWAYS had issue with undo taking a very long time, especially when the plans get large. I have an associate with 2 M.2 drives run in RAID 0 and undos are very quick. Very slow on my system and very quick on his. Just sayin'.

They supposedly made it quicker for (perhaps) X9? but I could tell no difference in length of undos.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I have been using, teaching, tutoring and developing this software since the mid-nineties. Your description and my experience DO NOT MATCH. This has never been an issue for any version for me. If you have a negative opinion and outlook towards Chief, there is little I can do or say to change what you have already decided is true. That is all I have to say, you do what seems best for you.

DJP

David - I said quite clearly in my OP that I really like Chief, minus this issue. But this is a big issue It reminds me of the days of hand sketch without a good eraser. Not good. I have seen many posts about this being a problem, so I know its not just me. Maybe we all have a setting incorrect somewhere? instead of giving me attitude maybe try and add to the conversation in the hopes of resolving the issue? 

I recently got a 500GB Samsung M2 for my main OS Drive and undo is Quicker  but I would like to see a Drop down list , like in a web browser to go back , so you can skip 10-20 undos if you want to as I currently have it set to 50.

One thing that Helps for me, as my Documents Folder is located on my HD (D:) not the M2 , is to make the Chief Undo and Temp Folders , via the Preferences>Folders Option to reside on C:\  ( the .M2)

Capture71.JPG

Capture70.JPG

• Upvote 1

Kbird - a drop down menu would be great! Or even just a simple dialog box somewhere telling you what command it is currently undoing when you hit Ctrl-Z. As it stands now its a crap shoot - sometimes I over undo which is really irritating. I have all of my folders on my hard drive as I thought that might be the issue. I have plenty of space on the drive as well. Ill try calling tech support and report back. 

8 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Good to know for future reference Mick - thanks.

I wouldn't buy an M2 just for this  ....there is a difference but I was already on a EVO 850 SSD , ( M2 is theoretically 4x faster than a SSD ),   if the OS is on a HD still then yes it would help I think.  I wanted more space , so spent the extra on a M2...

Mick.

2 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

Kbird - a drop down menu would be great! Or even just a simple dialog box somewhere telling you what command it is currently undoing when you hit Ctrl-Z. As it stands now its a crap shoot - sometimes I over undo which is really irritating. I have all of my folders on my hard drive as I thought that might be the issue. I have plenty of space on the drive as well. Ill try calling tech support and report back. 

Having the Plan and other Files on the HD is fine , a Hardrive is fast enough for that , having the Temp and Undo Folders on an SSD helped me with Undo Speed, been doing that for a few years...  see above.

You haven't filed in your Signature ( see mine for how)  so I don't know your Specs.

Mick.

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I wouldn't buy an M2 just for this  ....there is a difference but I was already on a EVO 850 SSD , ( M2 is theoretically 4x faster than a SSD ),   if the OS is on a HD still then yes it would help I think.  I wanted more space , so spent the extra on a M2...

Mick.

I already have an EVO SSD for all my files and undo is a general problem for me, mostly with large files.

• Upvote 1

Yeah sometimes the cursor indicates your Undoing, other times it doesn't. Redoing takes just as long so it gets very frustrating. I don't understand how a program that has been around as long as Chief and is competing in a such a  competitive space still has such a major structural flaw.

32 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

...I don't understand how a program that has been around as long as Chief and is competing in a such a  competitive space still has such a major structural flaw.

Beyond me as well but not everyone seems to have a problem judging by the comments above. For me? Major issue that I have just learned to live with, among quite a few 'major structural flaws'.

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Beyond me as well but not everyone seems to have a problem judging by the comments above. For me? Major issue that I have just learned to live with, among quite a few 'major structural flaws'.

Any tips on how to live with it? Now Im just doing a ton of "save-as" but it gets really cumbersome after awhile. By the way - is that you surfing in your profile pic? :)

Just now, Tdgdesign said:

Any tips on how to live with it? Now Im just doing a ton of "save-as" but it gets really cumbersome after awhile. By the way - is that you surfing in your profile pic? :)

I 'live with it' by just waiting for each 'undo'. Yeah that's me surfing in El Salvador a few years ago.

Yeah I talked to tech support and its basically "in 3d camera mode you're gonna be slow but in plan view you should be fine" - which is essentially the case for me. Gets slower and slower as my model gets more complicated. They did say that the undo functionality continues to be on the radar.  Think we need to just keep hounding them with suggestions,

Nice on the surfing! I surfed in Guatemala and El Salvador a few years back to.

6 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Having the Plan and other Files on the HD is fine , a Hardrive is fast enough for that , having the Temp and Undo Folders on an SSD helped me with Undo Speed, been doing that for a few years...  see above.

You haven't filed in your Signature ( see mine for how)  so I don't know your Specs.

Mick.

Hi Mick

6 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Mick

Here is my system info( I think) :

Intel i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8gHZ, 2.81 gHZ

12 GB Ram

1GB Hard drive

GEForce GTX 1070 8 core graphics card

I am guessing that is a 1TB ( terabyte) Hard drive  , not 1GB , in your Computer , ( laptop? or desktop?)  which is partly why Undo is slow as it operating off , what is probably a slower 5400RPM Hard drive instead of an SSD or M2 Drive.

You can copy and paste you Specs into you signature along with the CA Ver.No so that people answering questions in the future have that ino and you don't need to retype it.

see mine for the quick how to, to do yours..