managing symbol library

djhplanning

Can anyone give some advice to how to properly manage my symbol library when running the program on 2 separate computers.  Want to have the same current library available on both machines.  How to keep the library up to date with the newest symbols added, etc.  If I add a new symbol on one machine, how can it be updated on the other one and visa versa.  Maybe a shared file for the library on something like Dropbox?  

On 11/27/2017 at 2:35 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

Set the path in Preferences > General > Folders > My Data Folder

I have mine set to D:\Dropbox\Chief Architect Premier X9 Data\

It looks like my Chief Architect Premier X9 Data file is 4.72 GB and looks like I would need to upgrade my Dropbox space.  Is this file size close to the size of yours?  Looks like I need to set the path to all the files in the data file and not just the library file?

13 hours ago, djhplanning said:

It looks like my Chief Architect Premier X9 Data file is 4.72 GB and looks like I would need to upgrade my Dropbox space.  Is this file size close to the size of yours?  Looks like I need to set the path to all the files in the data file and not just the library file?

My Dropbox Folder contains almost 30 GB with the Chief Data Files ( X8 & X9) plus Chief Projects going back several years plus a bunch of other stuff.  I have a Dropbox Pro Account which has a nominal cost for up to 1TB of space.

Setting the Path to the Data Folder is all that's needed.  Dropbox will contain all the subfolders automatically.

Google Drive , now called Backup and Sync has 15GB free ( with gmail account) , I don't use it this way myself , but assume it works similar to Dropbox.

OneDrive is only 5GB these days too , now they took away bonus space too

5 hours ago, jonboy112352 said:

Joe 

In using dropbox does chief slow down at all.. I am told that could affect the program speed??

Chief on my system loads a 3700 sq.ft. house and all libraries in about 5-6 seconds.  Using Dropbox basically has no effect on the speed because it's just a folder on your system.  When something is changed in that folder, Dropbox updates that to the cloud and then updates other computers that are sharing.  Essentially everything is kept up to date on each system and you are just working locally.  The updates are handled in the background.