How to create wall trim

ladycoralie

Hi. I've seen a picture where there is a wall trim around the middle of a vaulted room that continues along the loft above. I'm not sure how to achieve this. Does anybody know what it is called as I can't figure out what to look for in Chief's tutorials? I've included a picture. You can see it between the windows in the Great Room and it continues along the edge of the loft. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?

Thanks.

wall trim.png

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

You are using X8 now is that correct ?  I can post a test plan if you like.

Room Molding DBX.JPG

1 hour ago, solver said:

When you create the Room Molding Polyline, you should get this dialog. Enter the elevation for the top or bottom of the molding, or just use large offsets as Chopsaw shows.

ct1.thumb.jpg.7d82f81d66b0a6a6106e7e99a9649764.jpg

Hi Chopsaw and Solver. I'll have a go at both of these methods now and see how I go. I went "Aha!" when I saw them. Hopefully I can do it.

Cheers and thanks.

Okay, I think I've managed to do it. I can't do it as seemlessly as in the photo example eg. Have the molding perfectly in line with the top and bottom of the windows and balcony, but I think it looks okay. Not perfect. Just okay. However, I can't get the molding on the bottom of the balcony in the little corner. I'll attach a pic. and you can see wood underneath the rail where the staircase is. How does one fix that please? I must have done something wrong there. I've attached my plan as well. ( I accidentally uploaded the wrong plan first time. Sorry)

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

balcony niche.jpg

The_CraftsmanRedo1.plan

Edited by ladycoralie
Attached wrong plan first time around. Doh!

Hi Chopsaw. I opened up your plan and tried to replicate it, but it won't do it. I have double checked the measurements in the dbx and they are the same. So it is a bit of a mystery. Do you  mind if I carry on with your plan please? I have your dbx attached and have copied it. Can't figure out though.

Chopped Molding.jpg

This is the secret right here : Room Molding Polyline 5a1bb3dddc447_RoomMoldingPolylinetool.JPG.3ed885a226fcacfd9e7849fae46dda58.JPG and it will allow you to substitute the existing Room Molding for the manual one.  Give it a try when you select the room but if you can't work it out you are welcome to use my plan and continue on or copy the two items into your original file.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

This is the secret right here : Room Molding Polyline 5a1bb3dddc447_RoomMoldingPolylinetool.JPG.3ed885a226fcacfd9e7849fae46dda58.JPG and it will allow you to substitute the existing Room Molding for the manual one.  Give it a try when you select the room but if you can't work it out you are welcome to use my plan and continue on or copy the two items into your original file.

Hi yes, I used that tool, but I must be doing something wrong. You don't have to fix this problem, but when I tried to make the molding fit between the doors and windows near the fireplace, I can only get one side to show it, even though both are the exact same measurements for windows and doors and the same height above the floor. Weird. But thanks for letting me continue with your plan. I'm trying to get this finished to send off to an architect tomorrow so we can start on building our house ... finally. thanks so much Chopsaw.

Not quite sure what might have happened but they are a little glitchy at times.  You could just delete and make a new one and see if it works a second time or select it in plan view and see if it is hiding behind the drywall or something.  You could also make a break in it and bump it out over the fireplace if you wanted to break up the extra height of it. Or maybe not.

• Upvote 1