Something coming through the roof, I think its a gutter

rispgiu

I made a Room Polyline ( room under Turret), converted it to a Slab and then set each step's height and stretched each successive staircase layer out after using copy and paste in place to add the 3 steps.....

If you need the plan let me know....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

I made a Room Polyline ( room under Turret), converted it to a Slab and then set each step's height and stretched each successive staircase layer out after using copy and paste in place to add the 3 steps.....

If you need the plan let me know....

Thank you for the explanation. I am working on it. I'll let you know if I need the plan. 

Hello all and thank you for your help on this project. 

The developer I am working with just informed me today that he wants the roof to be a 6/12 and the ceiling no higher than 8ft. 

Also no brick, since he is planning for this plan to be more of a starter home. 

So I am thinking about re-drawing something much simpler. 

I will put this plan on hold and finish it when I have some free time, I will update this post with final pictures and possibly video when done 

Quite the change ....hope he is seeing you right for the time spent so far.....

Well you have a Plan to use as a template , change Level 1 to 8ft stud and put a simple 6/12 gable roof on it and see what he thinks before going too far .....sort of like " you thinking something like this ? " so you don't waste too much more time....

M.

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Quite the change ....hope he is seeing you right for the time spent so far.....

Well you have a Plan to use as a template , change Level 1 to 8ft stud and put a simple 6/12 gable roof on it and see what he thinks before going too far .....sort of like " you thinking something like this ? " so you don't waste too much more time....

M.

yes definitely a big change. What I did he pretty much what you suggested. Now that this design is approved so to speak, I am moving on to the next problem. 

He is asking for the ceiling to be vaulted. given that it is a gable roof I created the one sided gable with a ceiling plane. However on the door side the roof is cutting into the entrance. Any suggestions? 

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 7.25.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 7.25.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 7.27.22 AM.png

CA will do Vaulted Ceilings Automatically if you uncheck the "Has Ceiling" box in the Room's DBX ....looks like you did these manually?

Did you leave the Dutch Gable over the front Door area?  only other reason I can think that it is shaped that way unless done manually?

M.

1st thought looking at image above would be to swap the roofs  , give the garage a hip and house a gable , so garage isn't so prominent in Street view or make both gables...cheaper to build too usually and a double gable looks nice ...to me at least...

M.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

1st thought looking at image above would be to swap the roofs  , give the garage a hip and house a gable , so garage isn't so prominent in Street view or make both gables...cheaper to build too usually and a double gable looks nice ...to me at least...

M.

That's a good thought. would you extend the gable to be over the front door as well ?

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

M.

What do you think about something like this? 

Any thoughts on the roof? 

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 7.52.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 7.53.16 PM.png

13 hours ago, rispgiu said:

What do you think about something like this? 

Any thoughts on the roof? 

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 7.52.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 7.53.16 PM.png

For that design , I think I would lower the pitch of the Garage roof to match the Front Entry's (3-4deg.? to shingle minimum slope)  so you see less Shingle.

Columns are nice but in a budget Build add Costs that could make that front Room bigger instead of a Porch ...porch could be added as a Custom Addon/Upsell , by extending main roof forward and start other RH Gable higher so it picks up the front Door too perhaps.

Can also do something really simple , and once again add Upsells like a Nice Corner Column on porch , Shingles and a Bellyband to make the front look more "Custom"

Depends on the Builder's budget and Costs locally , I am guessing 6/12 Roof  is cos local Lumberyard has them in Stock , so they are Cheapest. And on 1st time Buyers expectations in your Area.....  the 1st Pic is probably tooooo Cheap :)  so  2nd pic and perhaps a nice column instead of railing in pic.

M.

Bella_Storia_Simple.plan

capture61.JPG

Capture62.JPG

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

For that design , I think I would lower the pitch of the Garage roof to match the Front Entry's (3-4deg.? to shingle minium)  so you see less Shingle.

Columns are nice but in a budget Build add Costs that could make that front Room bigger instead of a Porch ...porch could be added as a Custom Addon/Upsell , by extending main roof forward and start other RH Gable higher so it picks up the front Door too perhaps.

Can also do something really simple , and once again add Upsells like a Nice Corner Column on porch , Shingles and a Bellyband to make the front look more "Custom"

Depends on the Builder's budget and Costs locally , I am guessing 6/12 Roof  is cos local Lumberyard has them in Stock , so they are Cheapest. And on 1st time Buyers expectations in your Area.....  the 1st Pic is probably tooooo Cheap :)  so  2nd pic and perhaps a nice column instead of railing in pic.

M.

Bella_Storia_Simple.plan

capture61.JPG

Capture62.JPG

Thank you sir, these are really nice. 

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

For that design , I think I would lower the pitch of the Garage roof to match the Front Entry's (3-4deg.? to shingle minium)  so you see less Shingle.

M.

Bella_Storia_Simple.plan

capture61.JPG

Capture62.JPG

Btw, you were correct, 6/12 is what they are asking for :) 

It is just one of the Hardi Shingle Panels from the South Folder , I usually use the Single shingles but for a budget build the Panels are less costly labour wise.

(you can check in he Plan i posted too)

The Bellyband / Watertable  is just a P-Solid , since  Iwas only doing a few pieces across the front but if you want it all the way around the House use this method :   (quicker and all auto positioned)

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00070/adding-a-belly-band-to-a-structure.html

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2017 at 11:44 AM, Kbird1 said:

It is just one of the Hardi Shingle Panels from the South Folder , I usually use the Single shingles but for a budget build the Panels are less costly labour wise.

(you can check in he Plan i posted too)

The Bellyband / Watertable  is just a P-Solid , since  Iwas only doing a few pieces across the front but if you want it all the way around the House use this method :   (quicker and all auto positioned)

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00070/adding-a-belly-band-to-a-structure.html

Thank you 

On 12/3/2017 at 0:53 PM, solver said:

Mick knows this, so this is directed at the OP.

You can also draw connected CAD lines in plan and convert to a Molding Polyline. 

Draw them out from the walls, then drag and snap to the wall. Set height and add molding. Add breaks for doors etc.

Thank you Eric