Something coming through the roof, I think its a gutter

rispgiu

I am new to chief and this is my very first project. I suppose I should have started with something easier but everything has been pretty simple with the exception of the rounded roof over my porch. There is something coming through it. I delete the roof and rebuilt the roof several times, I changed the roof shingles but nothing seems to help. 

I think its a gutter because when I try and change the roof to other materials and try and change that object my gutters will change their color as well. 

I checked and my room has the gutter option unchecked. 

Any help or idea? 

Thank you in advance. 

Untitled 1.jpg

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Posting your plan file will make it easier for someone to help.

It helps if we know what title (Premier, Interiors) and version (X8, X9 etc) you are using. You can add this info to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. Doing so makes it always available, and this info is often key to providing a good suggestion

Thx I just added to my profile as you suggested. 

I'll have to work on an actual signature :)

I am using X9 Premiere

Zoom in and click on it. Then note what is selected in the bottom ribbon. It is probably a roof plane part (like a fascia) and probably due to the roof planes not joining properly. After you select the roof plane, open it go to the materials and change the color of the fascia for that roof plane to red or something and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

Zoom in and click on it. Then note what is selected in the bottom ribbon. It is probably a roof plane part (like a fascia) and probably due to the roof planes not joining properly. After you select the roof plane, open it go to the materials and change the color of the fascia for that roof plane to red or something and see what happens.

I did as you suggested. It is a fascia. 

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

It maybe a Fascia Board if all the Roof Planes are not Connected properly at each facet of the round , letting it "pop out" 

best idea is to post a copy of the plan though in these cases....

How do I post the plan?

3 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

How do I post the plan?

close the Plan in CA X9 1st and then you can just drag and drop the Plan file right into the bottom of the Reply window where it is light grey.

saving a copy to your desktop 1st ,with a slightly different name , is maybe the easiest way to do that....

it is a gutter ...... turn off roof planes in the 3D view  to see it ....see below....

and you need to re-join the roof planes on the RH side of the round.....

I Need to dig a bit deeper to find out which roof plane it is that is causing it....

Capture78.JPG

Capture79.JPG

***EDIT.....OK I found that you have maybe 10-12 little Roof planes at the Apex which you need to delete....

I would make both the Dutch Gables the same size  as well , ie match the house one to the garage one....

Capture77.JPG

46 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

it is a gutter ...... turn off roof planes in the 3D view  to see it ....see below....

and you need to re-join the roof planes on the RH side of the round.....

I Need to dig a bit deeper to find out which roof plane it is that is causing it....

Capture78.JPG

Capture79.JPG

***EDIT.....OK I found that you have maybe 10-12 little Roof planes at the Apex which you need to delete....

I would make both the Dutch Gables the same size  as well , ie match the house one to the garage one....

Capture77.JPG

Thank you for your reply, this really helps. 

Looks like you got it :)

I agree with Eric , the Roof looks a bit strange.... looking from the Front or Curb view ......the added advantage of the "Cricket" he shows is that it will help slow the water down during heavy rainfall , so the small gutter at the bottom is not overwhelmed ...that is a large piece of Roof, coming down into a small 2' foot Gutter and it is right at the front door , so you don't want it overflowing.

you will likely need to use manual roof planes to change it around.....

you seem to be using a old Buechel Stone library I don't have that in my Library....  or maybe i have the old one?

M.

Thank you for your 

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Looks like you got it :)

I agree with Eric , the Roof looks a bit strange.... looking from the Front or Curb view ......the added advantage of the "Cricket" he shows is that it will help slow the water down during heavy rainfall , so the small gutter at the bottom is not overwhelmed ...that is a large piece of Roof, coming down into a small 2' foot Gutter and it is right and the front door , so you don't want it overflowing.

you will likely need to use manual roof planes to change it around.....

you seem to be using a old Buechel Stone library I don't have that in my Library....  or maybe i have the old one?

M.

Thank you for your reply about the roof. I will try and work on it on how to fix it. 

About the stone, it says it was copyrighted in 2016. Is it the old one?

Sounds like you have the X8-2017 Library , I may have the X9-2018 one? both are free , Maybe Buechel updated their catalogue to currently sold products?......

https://3dlibrary.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?r=site/detail/1020

actually it maybe related to the fact you "painted" the stone on instead of changing the material to that stone in the Pony Walls Definition ?  as it says it should be red brick ...once I changed the ponywall to the correct material it turned up okay in 3D views , but you  will also need to change the ponywall to the 6" type , as there is a 6" wall above a 4" wall now and you can see the issue that causes in the garage by the door.   

one other small quirk in CA you likely don't know is you MUST have an interior Casing , even of garage doors in the DBX (dialog box) normally if you don't want a casing set all the sizes to 1/16th inch or the Door Jamb and Casing don't show properly in 3D.....(looks like it flickers or is too thin/see through)

BTW either the garage floor is set too low  at -26" or the Terrain is too high as your Drive way is cutting into the Garage doors about 6" up the door... easily seen from inside the garage if you set the main door to show open in 3D

M.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Sounds like you have the X8-2017 Library , I may have the X9-2018 one? both are free , Maybe Buechel updated their catalogue to currently sold products?......

actually it maybe related to the fact you "painted" the stone on instead of changing the material to that stone in the Pony Walls Definition ?  as it says it should be red brick ...once I changed the ponywall to the correct material it turned up okay in 3D views , but you  will also need to change the ponywall to the 6" type , as there is a 6" wall above a 4" wall now and you can see the issue that causes in the garage by the door.   

one other small quirk in CA you likely don't know is you MUST have an interior Casing , even of garage doors in the DBX (dialog box) normally if you don't want a casing set all the sizes to 1/16th inch or the Door Jamb and Casing don't show properly in 3D.....(looks like it flickers or is too thin/see through)

BTW either the garage floor is set too low  at -26" or the Terrain is too high as your Drive way is cutting into the Garage doors about 6" up the door... easily seen from inside the garage if you set the main door to show open in 3D

M.

Thank you very much for the input, I truly appreciate it. 

1 minute ago, rispgiu said:
4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

M.

About the wall, if I change the lower portion of the pony wall to stone front it adds concrete blocks to the back of the stone. Is this normal?

I was wondering about the terrain, something didn't seem right :)

6 hours ago, rispgiu said:

sound like you just choose the wrong wall type for the lower part of the pony wall ...try Brick-6 and change the brick to the Grey Ledgestone....

select the terrain and open it and uncheck automatic height and set your own say 28" since floor is -26 in the garage  ... the terrain DBX assumes automatically a negative value since the main floor height is 0"...

54 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

sound like you just choose the wrong wall type for the lower part of the pony wall ...try Birck-6 and change the brick to the Grey Ledgestone....

select the terrain and open it and uncheck automatic height and set your own say 28" since floor is -26 in the garage  ... the terrain DBX assumes automatically a negative value since the main floor height is 0"...

Got it, thx. I am still struggling with the roof. I am looking at tutorials and trying various things.