modifying legends

crosscutter55

I unblocked an electric legend and would like to change it to a simpson tie legend > when i try & place one of the simpson items in the approiate column it only show that item looking down at it i want to be able to see that symbol in a persepective veiw , can this be done & if so how 

Here are a few tips...

When you drop a 3D symbol into the plan you will be viewing that object from above.  Here's a couple hangers for example...

5a1701b12105a_Pic1.thumb.jpg.4deb47f5f92bb1779957791f9f9257ea.jpg

If you would like to re-position those hangers you will have to select the object, click on the Open Symbol tool (little chair) and then adjust the Rotation settings...

5a17025da5e78_Pic2.thumb.jpg.f1169e169061839d08489b19c38061d7.jpg

...just select the axis around which you would like to rotate, the desired rotational increment, and then click on the + and/or - buttons until its positioned right where you want it.  You'll probably have to fool around with it for a bit to get a hang of which axis to use and which direction to rotate but this will rotate your symbol in 3D.  To get that information to update to your plan view though you will need to click on the 2D Block tab and then click Generate Block.  This will generate a new CAD block...

5a17039c9512b_Pic3.thumb.jpg.224fcf854723794e2a87037c897b3a2b.jpg

You can then simply use those 3D object or you can use the actual blocks that were created by opening up CAD Block Management, selecting the appropriate block and then clicking Insert to drop that block into your plan.

OR you could use an entirely different and more automated approach by utilizing a schedule.  There are many forks in the road with this one but here are the basics...

As they're set up, the 3D Simpson objects are Hardware symbols which are not reported to any schedules.  I'm not sure but I personally kinda think this may have been a mistake to set them up this way.  At any rate, the most effective method to get these into a schedule is to just add these symbols one by one to your own user library as the need arises but as Fixture symbols instead of Hardware symbols.  To do that...

• Drop one of them into a blank plan, take a 3D view, click on Tools>Symbol>Convert To Symbol, and add to your library as a Fixture.  Give it the appropriate name and then add it to your user library.  I'd probably recommend you create a special Simpson folder and place it in there...5a1708a56d859_Pic1.thumb.jpg.77a5b4012c8925db3a6c3c9213ef1b97.jpg5a1708f7e2824_Pic2.thumb.jpg.e144f13d1d428a5cb209a1d04f97451c.jpg

Now when you drop that symbol into the plan it can be included in a Fixture schedule.  The beauty of using a fixture schedule is that it can be used as an actual schedule with quantities, locations, etc.  or it can simply be used as a legend that is limited to only hardware that is actually being used in the plan.  There are all sorts of ways to control what is included in the schedule and what sort of information is displayed.  If all you want is a generic legend you can include the the 2D and 3D columns and its all totally automated whenever you drop one of those objects into your plan...

Sch.thumb.jpg.2a63982e650a83d5d4e56a5b9d716e70.jpg

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

OR you could use an entirely different and more automated approach by utilizing a schedule.  There are many forks in the road with this one but here are the basics...

As they're set up, the 3D Simpson objects are Hardware symbols which are not reported to any schedules.  I'm not sure but I personally kinda think this may have been a mistake to set them up this way.  At any rate, the most effective method to get these into a schedule is to just add these symbols one by one to your own user library as the need arises but as Fixture symbols instead of Hardware symbols.  To do that...

• Drop one of them into a blank plan, take a 3D view, click on Tools>Symbol>Convert To Symbol, and add to your library as a Fixture.  Give it the appropriate name and then add it to your user library.  I'd probably recommend you create a special Simpson folder and place it in there...5a1708a56d859_Pic1.thumb.jpg.77a5b4012c8925db3a6c3c9213ef1b97.jpg5a1708f7e2824_Pic2.thumb.jpg.e144f13d1d428a5cb209a1d04f97451c.jpg

Now when you drop that symbol into the plan it can be included in a Fixture schedule.  The beauty of using a fixture schedule is that it can be used as an actual schedule with quantities, locations, etc.  or it can simply be used as a legend that is limited to only hardware that is actually being used in the plan.  There are all sorts of ways to control what is included in the schedule and what sort of information is displayed.  If all you want is a generic legend you can include the the 2D and 3D columns and its all totally automated whenever you drop one of those objects into your plan...

Sch.thumb.jpg.2a63982e650a83d5d4e56a5b9d716e70.jpg

Nice solution Mike... useful for other items too I'd think.

M