Water colour renderings vs raytrace...

dskogg

HI everyone, there is always a lot of discussion about ray traces and how to make them look good.

In my opinion total waste of time when you can get a rendering using the water colour after setting up the scene

with your max 8 lights that conveys the design very well...

Here is an interior and exterior..comments?

woolsey link dbl oven cabinet option.jpg

water colour exterior.jpg

• Upvote 1

I agree completely. Some of my clients can't seem to get beyond the colors and textures of a RT or standard view; they can't even get to the design elements if I don't have "their" materials dialed in already. Even then they may not like what they see even when I have used their ideas. While that can be a good thing it is also a tremendous time waster; time that cannot be billed and compensated for unless there is an upfront agreement (which is, like...almost never!).

My greatest struggle with watercolors is the fact that, being vector camera based, they show extraneous lines in the floor at invisible walls, ceilings, and wall junctions, among others. These type of anomalies do not show up as bad in raytraces and standard views; the textures and intersections are blended much better in those.

Yes the extra lines...annoying, my perspective on this is it is a artistic rendering and it is meant to 

convey a design. I keep the extensions on and keep the lines squiggle on..here is the settings i use.

So in the end it is quick and artistic so i put up with the lines as there could be construction lines visible in a water colour.

I guess i would tell customer if asked that this is to convey the design intent.

wc rendering settings.JPG

2 hours ago, CJSpud said:

I love the water color with lines as well.  My only issue with using this approach is I don't like the extra lines that are generated in many of these views.  What is the best way to deal with those?

You can change material definitions to remove or reduce the pattern lines or you can simply temporarily Toggle Patterns to help with many of the lines.  Really quick example...

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

On 11/22/2017 at 8:54 AM, Ridge_Runner said:

I agree completely. Some of my clients can't seem to get beyond the colors and textures of a RT or standard view; they can't even get to the design elements if I don't have "their" materials dialed in already. Even then they may not like what they see even when I have used their ideas. While that can be a good thing it is also a tremendous time waster; time that cannot be billed and compensated for unless there is an upfront agreement (which is, like...almost never!).

My greatest struggle with watercolors is the fact that, being vector camera based, they show extraneous lines in the floor at invisible walls, ceilings, and wall junctions, among others. These type of anomalies do not show up as bad in raytraces and standard views; the textures and intersections are blended much better in those.

Regarding the materials issues with your clients this is why I never offer any color views until we gave the design settled on.

Too much focus on materials and colors and no progress made on the actual design of the project.