Create "loose" manual framing?

Autumn1

Trying to model a 1950's "Nail together roof truss" with trial version X9 Premier. I understand that the ceiling joists & roof rafters are "tied" to their respective planes and so can't be moved (By me anyway).  Is there a way to create a "2x4" out in "space" that I can move anywhere I want and at any angle as if it were a truss "web member". Can I stick frame a truss and then "CAD Block" it into a "CA Truss" -OR-Draw a "Premier Truss" and then "blow it apart to model my "as built" truss? Pretty sure there is a "Wall to CAD" feature in which you could create and move WALL 2x4's but it's dissabeled for the tiral version. 

Do yourself a favor and model it in Sketchup, then import as a symbol.  What you seem to want is a multi-component assembly that is grouped as the truss, and Chief isn't the right tool for doing that.

Not sure if a trial version of X9 will let you import a .skp.

You can readily model rafters and ceiling joists and ridge beams in Chief X9, but you'll have to tell us more about the components of the "1950s nail-together truss" for us to advise better.

44 minutes ago, Autumn1 said:

Trying to model a 1950's "Nail together roof truss" with trial version X9 Premier. I understand that the ceiling joists & roof rafters are "tied" to their respective planes and so can't be moved (By me anyway).  Is there a way to create a "2x4" out in "space" that I can move anywhere I want and at any angle as if it were a truss "web member". Can I stick frame a truss and then "CAD Block" it into a "CA Truss" -OR-Draw a "Premier Truss" and then "blow it apart to model my "as built" truss? Pretty sure there is a "Wall to CAD" feature in which you could create and move WALL 2x4's but it's dissabeled for the tiral version. 

I could be misunderstanding but Chief has a built in Truss tool. You can just build the truss and then add, delete, or modify individual members in elevation or in the truss detail.

Thanks Gene. Very simple roof but not most common rafter detail. I model roof by clicking "boxed eave" as well as "Flush Eve" and then raising above plate 16" . I also uncheck "birdsmouth" and check "Trusses". 

Then I can place a 2x6 ceiling joist across room and it extends out 34" so that ceiling drywall & soffit overhang plywood attach to same 2x6. Then 2x4 rafters create a simple triangle "truss" with a 2x6 bottom cord that is on top of wall plate and extends out 34" for boxed eve. (Not the more typical 2x4 rafters that slope down below top plate) 

When I look at cross section it looks like Premier creates some kind of "attic wall" surfaces. Not sure why. 

Michael - I have tried using the programs trusses and it comes real close with a "king post truss" but I can't figure out how to move or add cross members such as a short "energy heal" of sorts. 

Edit Truss Detail ?  I am able to create a Kingpost Truss with an energy heal that is 97% perfect. If I mess with the truss envelope in cross section it moves the energy heel pc. into weird shapes and areas. I see the "truss detail" cad drawing but can't figure out how to make any changes. All I need is to drag both ends of bottom cord out to meet rafter tails and create boxed eve. Is it possible to take a go to meeting using a Premier Trial download? ! Roofs are never "easy".