Floor Joists Extend From to Second Floor Beyond To Where There Is No Second Floor

HumbleChief

I also get this all the time and reported it as a bug for a few versions now, wish they would fix this soon. Try to delete all your joists direction annotations  and replace them with new ones. Sometimes that works for me but not exactly sure why it happens.

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

for me the 2nd floor framing is always shown on the 1st floor, how else would you show posts to beams and floor beams.

uhhhh on the second floor? With note like 'post below' or even 'beam below' like my structural engineer does. Probably makes sense the way it is - just doesn't fit my little brain.

11 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Second floor framing is the first floor clg framing in my neck of the woods. Always shown on the first floor, as the first floor framing in shown on the foundation/basement floor.

Same here.  I also show any cantilevers for the above floor with a reference set of the exterior walls.

Regardless of one’s perspective or desire we Obviously draw in chief based on how it is programmed so, I will “Get used to it” but will welcome seeing a complete framing design video by one of the many users who have chimmed in on the thread. I stool side with Humble Chief regarding all points made in his video.

all the best and Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you. 

I sent the plan file in to tech support and they really went over and above the call to address the problem plan. I think it might be worth your time to see the changes suggested and made to facilitate the final, and correct framing plan. Tech support will not usually fix a plan sent to them but made an exception because of the strange behavior. STELLAR tech support as always!!!

Below is the problem as described by Tech support. I left out some unneeded commentary.

"* Multiple Bearing Lines around the cantilever instead of a single Bearing Line polyline.
* Too many Joist Direction Lines.
* Nothing defining the lower left corner of the Floor 2 platform on Floor 1 (no walls or bearing line).

...needed to delete and replace the Joist Direction Lines several times before the program finally grasped what it was supposed to be doing. 

Notice that there are two Bearing Lines polylines and two Joist Direction Lines only. And, notice that these Joist Direction Lines do not touch the Bearing Lines or the walls defining the platform they define. There is no ceiling framing over the left side of Floor 1 because of the height of the roof planes."

Plan attached below.

FLOOR_JOISTS_1_edited.plan

I tried to edit the original floor plan after a quick glance at the corrected plan and it framed perfectly. The framing in this case disregards the second floor platform and frames according to the bearing lines only (apparently). It looks like the bearing lines need to completely surround the area(s) being framed which might be obvious to most but the help from tech was so very helpful and should make future framing tasks much, much easier. Another huge thanks to Tech support!!

I agree that it originally seemed "odd" to me to show the 2nd floor joist framing on the 1st floor. But the more I used CA the more I came to realize that this method actually worked better because I was able to see and edit the joists and the walls that supported them in the same view. I could reference the 2nd floor walls also in that same view and I eventually became comfortable with that approach. The more I learn how CA thinks (20 years now) the easier it is to accomplish what I want to do - just don't fight it; like someone else said, "it's just another tool - use it the way it was designed to be used - right or perceived wrong."

• 1 month later...

Just had this problem on a plan and finally got it to frame correctly. 

I deleted my joist direction line for the second floor platform, which helped, but my joist direction was wrong, so I noted the bearing walls as such in their structure tabs. 

This made the joist go in the correct direction.  I will add a cad line w/ note to show the joist direction.