my recommendation is don't use McAffee

my recommendation is to use Norton

I've been using it for decades and I surf the web veraciously

some will say it is a resource hog and a decade ago that was true

but it was re-written and wins the awards every year

stay away from Kepersky - Russian spyware

https://us.norton.com/norton-security-antivirus

Lew

Personally, Windows Defender is the best for Windows when it comes to anti virus protection. If you are concerned about things like Ransomware then none of the anti virus programs are going to provide adequate protection if any at all. Ransomware is not a virus per say, they are programs that take control of you system and are disseminated via e-mail attached executable files, executable macros in spreadsheet and word type docs or web pages. To protect against this you need to scrutinize e-mail attachments and for web pages you can run your browser in a sandbox environment that runs the browser in an isolated virtual space, if a ransomware type thing pops up then you just have to close down the sandbox, delete it's contents and the ransomware is gone.

1 hour ago, DavidJames said:

I'd suggest using AVG instead. 

I use Avast Free now and Malwarebytes Free, have for years .... Avast bought AVG this year I think it was....I used AVG for years till it also became a resource hog and very intrusive but still use it on an old XP/Vista Machine where it is still ( or was) supported.