foundation details / learning

crosscutter55

how can i show ( floor overview) & dimension  ( left to right ) anchor bolts for the sill plate ? I want to place the anchor bolts so they do not effect the floor joist  layout 

I purchased this great program so i could detail everything . Detailing has alot more advantages then just leaving it up to a sub to determine even a simple question !!

I want everything as neat & precise as possible !!  If a anchor bolt is installed i want them all the same exact dimension from the front & back of the sill plate . Because of this detail topic it also brings up other questions even to me , should i put one bolt closer to the rim joist & one closer to the interior of the wall ? This would compress the sill seal better . Someone even mentioned the sill plate joint , which i feel should be under a joist & a tight joint also . 

As these details are worked out they always make see other issues that can be overlooked , not to mention how they help me learn more tricks to this great program !!!!

NEVER TRY & TEACH A PIG TO SING , IT WASTE YOUR TIME & ANNOYS THE PIG

• Upvote 1

Set the joists out with a Framing reference @16" spacing ( or as needed ) 1st and then place the 1st bolt between the 1st and 2nd joists and multiple copy it with a spacing of 16" ( or 32" or 48") and it should be between the joists all the way down the foundation. 

*** Note: This  is just an example spacing explain how to do it, as I think 1 bolt every 48" and each side of Corners is actually Code in most Areas.

here i just used a pink cylinder so you can see it easily....

Capture22.JPG

Capture23.JPG

I'm anal about the anchor bolt layouts.  Done manually by me, I detail locations and also where the mudsill joints go.  All done so as not to compromise joist bearings.

I see no point of using 3D to place them.

The reason I locate and detail sill joints is because I want a bolt somewhere near every end.

I for one, could not imagine showing the placement of ABs on my plans. I call them out of course and note that the ends of plates should have one AB 12" or less from ends or splices and call out the needed distance between them but, calling out the exact position seems like way too much work for no gain.

The contractor should be knowledgeable enough to be able to place them on his build. And to know the best place to start his framing.

Do they seriously not know enough about building that they need their hands held like that?

Andy.

It's there for the builder to clearly communicate to his concrete sub, what he wants done.

Walls are almost always poured by the sub's crew and no one else is there.  If not spelled out clearly, the bolts will be plopped in at rough 4' centers, and in wall centers.  Done right, mudsill installs are quick and easy.  Done sloppy, it's a mess.

Andy,

Welcome to 2017, today anyone unemployed is a builder around here. The builders rely on the newest subs to know what they are doing!! Problem is both have no clue, but charge the professionals fee for half A#% work.

I just finished a plan for design build - builder. who's architect for the past three years went to work for his daughter and son in-law. His architect was a guy that taught him self chief architect and was good artist....... The builder was a car salesmen and wife is relator....

You got it cost plus 10%.........no reason to stick to budget and or costs down...... With what he did to me on the plans if he is doing that with every sub, he should be,,,,,,,,,, well another thread sorry for soapbox.......

Today more detail the better, with all the unknowing builders and subs............

Builder use to know how houses where built and did their jobs, today they are just middlemen good with paper work. And prefers plans that do not show them what they should have done......

The slack for bad subs should not be taken up by designers.  Specifying the exact location of every anchor bolt is a waste of time.  If one of my cad guys did this on a plan, I would probably fire him or risk having that builder never use us again.  In the real world, plans are expected to be created in an efficient manner.  I have often gained new clients because the former designer was putting TOO MUCH detail on the plan or as the builder calls it "CRAP".  That bad sub crew you speak of is probably incapable of reading any plan, much less one that specifies every bolt.

5 hours ago, AndyGump said:

I for one, could not imagine showing the placement of ABs on my plans. I call them out of course and note that the ends of plates should have one AB 12" or less from ends or splices and call out the needed distance between them but, calling out the exact position seems like way too much work for no gain.

The contractor should be knowledgeable enough to be able to place them on his build. And to know the best place to start his framing.

Do they seriously not know enough about building that they need their hands held like that?

Andy.

Exactly. Our builders and framers know exactly what they need to do to get past the city inspectors. If not, I would recommend getting another framer or builder because you'll probably have problems.

While the intent to be helpful is admirable, showing every anchor bolt has significant liability attached to it. Some mudsills may require 48" o.c. Other shear walls require 32" o.c. In earthquake areas, I've seen it get down to 8" o.c. You get everything shown, then a window location gets changed slightly at the last minute and your "Type 44" shear wall goes to a "Type 33" and now the anchor bolts are shown in the wrong place. A mudsill gets notched because of a pipe, and your anchor bolts are in the wrong place. If the bolts were placed according to your plans, YOU are the one who may get to pay for the work to correct the wrong placement, assuming that the building inspector catches it. (And around here, the competent ones often do.)

Usually, a detail (EXAMPLE ONLY) similar to the attached takes care of everything. 

Anchor Bolt.jpg