multiple configurations in cabinets and showing dimensions?

sweetmelissa

I only draw custom cabinets at this point and I haven't been doing it too long.  Used 2020 for a little while and now CA so my experience is limited.  My question is regarding what you find is best for drawing cabinets with multiple configurations and ensuring that dimensions are shown for each section in the elevations.  If I use one cabinet and split it into 3 sections (which is wonderfully easy) it doesn't show the dimensions of each section.  If I use 3 cabinets and adjust stiles to make it look like one custom cabinet the dimensions will show automatically (a little more work for me).  I love the ease of splitting one cabinet multiple times, but need the dimensions.  Am I missing something? Another way to place dimensions without placing individual cabinets? Thanks for helping. 

Chief isn't really the same sort of Cabinet detailing as 2020.  There is no provision in Chief to completely detail and dimension cabinet faces automatically.

However, it is possible to create a CAD Detail from View of a Cabinet Face (Cabinet Doors and Drawer Fronts Layer off) and then use manual dimensions to do all the necessary dimensions.

All my cabinets will be custom.  Here are some pics of the issue.  As you can see when I placed individual cabinets (with stiles adjusted to be equal in between each set) it shows the dimensions.  When I place one base cabinet and divide it up in the specifications it doesn't show the dimensions of each section.  Creating a CAD detail and then using manual dimensions sounds like extra work, which at this point I don't even know how to do. :) So, am I to understand that the only way to show dimensions of cabinet portions (whether base or uppers/tall) automatically is place individual cabinets?  What is the advantage of being able to easily divide up a cabinet into separate sections if that is the case?  I'm confused. Sorry, if I'm sounding ignorant.  I'm really just trying to figure out the best way to do this.  

indiv..PNG

combined.PNG

1 hour ago, sweetmelissa said:

Another way to place dimensions without placing individual cabinets? Thanks for helping. 

If you are using Chief Premier then you can use Detail from view to be able to dimension openings.
I use an annoset/layerset that turns off what I don't want to have in the CAD detail. Usually no walls, casings, doors windows or appliances AND NO cabinet doors. You can do it with just a layerset but I have the annosets for different scales.

Once done, clean up errant lines, dimension as needed, select all and set it to it's own layer (CAD Openings or such).

Then select all and copy it back into your elevation using PASTE and HOLD postion make the layer visible and LOCKED. This allows you to see if you changed something and the dimensions are off.

Alternate method is to copy cabinets to a special room for the purpose of getting dimensions. Same procedure BUT you can't readily tell if you changed dimensions. So it's a bit riskier. Using either method the dimensions are NOT LIVE- that is if you change the model they don't change- they are just dumb CAD lines. So you would have to redo them.

Detail from view.png

Live elvation with Detail on layer.png

Cabinets placed in another room for detail.png

screen.png

Grabbed the wrong ones for the first two, didn't notice but you get the idea.

IF you do not have Premier download one of the free 2D cad programs out there (or buy a cheap one) export as DWG, then import. Problem with that is copy and paste and hold is not reliable.

22 minutes ago, sweetmelissa said:

Sounds like the least time consuming and easiest, given my general lack of knowledge/experience and the time it takes me to figure things out, would be to place individual cabinets for each section of a custom cabinet. 

Maybe for expediency but in the long run, it's well worth learning a little up front and developing a system. It will save time and prevent mistakes.

Can save time keeping common configurations in your user library and "replace from library" then tweak to suit current conditions. Once in a while I just fish out old plans for details.

Last I knew 2020 (I have V9) won't dimension openings either.

Mark, I am learning more everyday. Creating layer sets is not something I have mastered yet, however I did try to follow your instructions above and remove the cabinet doors which then allowed me to dimension the sections, which didn't take as long as I thought it would! Thanks for the education! 2020 allows you to do "line to line" dimensions, so a long as the lines of the cabinets show up in the elevations you can manually measure the sections.  It's a pain in the butt to make sure you get the exact lines for exact measurements.  I am not a 2020 fan.  

dimensioning sections.PNG

19 hours ago, sweetmelissa said:

2020 allows you to do "line to line" dimensions, so a long as the lines of the cabinets show up in the elevations you can manually measure the sections.  It's a pain in the butt to make sure you get the exact lines for exact measurements.  I am not a 2020 fan.  

dimensioning sections.PNG

Up to V9 that only works for inset cabinets, not overlay doors. It takes forever, prone picking the wrong line, difficult to adjust and every now and then they would simply disappear if you switch tabs. (as did notes). Impossible to get a CAD editable elevation.   

I first used v5.6? In 2000 and worked with it exclusively till 2011. Continued his use it sporadically for able 3 years. 

The biggest mistakes I made learning Chief were continuing to use 2020 and thinking it should work like 2020. Once I put 2020 completely behind me and tried to understand how Chief thinks progress became rapid. 

Please correct me if I'm off base here. I believe the difficulty arises due to the type of objects these are, they are not cad type objects and as such dimensioning is similar to that of symbols, the bounding box determines the dimensional snap points, not the object held within. As a bounding box only has it's outer edges and center that's all you can dimension to. For cabinets there must be some type of bounding box nesting that allows you vertically to dimension separately the toe kick, counter top and the overall box in between. For width you can only dimension the left, center and right of the overall cabinet(bounding box).

28 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Please correct me if I'm off base here

No you are not off base, that is exactly what is going on. They may someday be able to allow snapping to openings the way we can to toe kick but for now the answer is Detail from view. I do it all the time, no big deal other than keeping it current to the model.