Objects slowing down file

AmandaBrady

Since upgrading to x9, I've been experiencing some major slowdowns when adding certain objects into a file. I can't quite pinpoint what or why, so wanted to hop on and see if anyone else has had this problem as well.  I'll be working away in a plan and all is well and good, quick editing in 3D as far as changing materials and textures goes, even with a plan full of lights turned on. I'll start to add in furniture and it seems certain objects just completely bog down the file to the point that I can barely work in it. I'll delete all of the furniture objects and the file is still super slow until I basically start over from scratch. 

I have quite a few of the manufacturer libraries downloaded and will pull from those, but have not added any objects of my own into the library. 

Any insight is appreciated. 

Some objects have really high face counts and should be avoided.  You can also purge unused materials from the plan materials list.  Imported pictures, especially pdf files will also bog down a system.  Another issue can be live updated views in a layout.  It may be a combination of a lot of things.  Other culprits include, too many lights, too many interior design items, too many cad blocked items.

13 minutes ago, AmandaBrady said:

I've narrowed it down to items from the Wayfair Trade catalogue,

I've used some Mesh reducing software on troublesome symbols. There are a few freebies out there. I don't do it often enough to recommend one since I never remember which one I use (might be Meshlabs??) You want one that lets you see what you get so that the symbol still looks decent. Would have to export the symbol on it's own first before opening in the app.

1 hour ago, AmandaBrady said:

Thanks Javatom. 

No imported pdf files, all lights removed, zero cad blocked items in the file. 

I've narrowed it down to items from the Wayfair Trade catalogue, and based on how realistic they look I'm assuming they'd have a high face count?

The Wayfair Cataloque was converted from their Sketchup files which tend to have very high face counts especially for anything with round or curved Surfaces....

eg  CA's Gourd lamp is 2600 faces whereas Wayfair's Roanoake Lamp is 19500 faces , that adds up if you are doing a Whole interior....

But anything with Curves will tend to slow things down if there is enough of them, eg Oval vanity sinks vs Rectangular , CA's models tend to have much lower face counts so are usually better to use if a difference is noticed, as many Manufacturer's models start as Sketchup Models 1st and they aren't adjusted for CA's requirements.

you can check face counts by opening the symbol (pencil and chair icon) rather than opening the item's DBX normally.