Wall material not changing when I change default?

dskogg

There should never be a need to redraw your wall.  Just open the "offending" wall, click on the Materials tab, select the Exterior Wall Surface material, and check Use Default Material. 

Please Note that there are multiple ways to change your wall surface materials...

• You can change the material in your wall definition
  • You can change the material in the wall's Materials tab
  • You can change the material by using the spray can.  This has the unique advantage of being able to change just a portion of a wall if that wall is part of more than one room or otherwise being divided into multiple sections by intersecting walls; otherwise, this is the same as changing the material in the wall's Materials tab. 
  • You can change the material by using the ROOM's Materials tab.

Either way, you should be able to fix your issues by simply selecting Use Default Material either for individual wall(s) or for the entire room.

Admittedly, there is one material control that I currently don't understand (and I'm not sure whether or not I ever understood it)...The Materials Defaults>Walls(Exterior) material.  This settings seems to control nothing.  The only benefit it seems to have is that it can give you a quick shortcut to the desired material if you should choose to control the material using your exterior room. 

The spray can doesn't need to cause any headaches at all if a person familiarizes his/herself with how it works and uses it in the appropriate mode and situation.  If used properly, it is by far the fastest and most effective way to change materials for a ton of situations.  In the case of walls...

Colors.thumb.jpg.a624c7441eda832e3d454905a18c35f2.jpg

That's one wall (as it should be) with 6 different colors.  I can't see in what world it would be a better idea to set up and use 6 different wall types or apply 6 different material regions. 

19 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The spray can doesn't need to cause any headaches at all if a person familiarizes his/herself with how it works and uses it in the appropriate mode and situation.  If used properly, it is by far the fastest and most effective way to change materials for a ton of situations.  In the case of walls...

Agree completely.   I do wish there were a short cut to select a wall and just switch all materials to default.  (rather than having to open a few more DBX's)  

Something I use, is I make all my initial drawings in lower detail to keep client focused on the mass and shapes at first.   I go into my wall dbx and change wall material to a custom material which looks like graph paper.    Then, when we get further along, I change the walls to appropriate type.  Very easy from the wall definition panel.   I then add accent walls and siding changes as necessary.

I'm not talking about painting an interior wall color, I'm talking about painting an exterior surface material, it's been nothing but trouble  for a lot of people here for every version I've ever seen. Most people don't know how to get it to change back.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:37 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

I'm not talking about painting an interior wall color, I'm talking about painting an exterior surface material, it's been nothing but trouble  for a lot of people here for every version I've ever seen. Most people don't know how to get it to change back.

Did YOU know how to change it back prior to Post #5?  If so, why not tell people how to do so rather than simply encouraging them not to use the tool?  It seems to me like that approach is just perpetuating this problematic ignorance you speak of.

Regarding the exterior wall surfaces more specifically...I just used the interior wall surfaces because it was an easily understood example.  Truth is that the material painter can be used effectively on exterior wall surfaces just as well as interior wall surfaces and again there are a number of situations where this is true.  Is it always the best way?  Absolutely not.  And should everyone use it?  No, but I would encourage everyone who wants to be truly proficient with the product to try and understand how and when to properly use a tool rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater. 

To each his own, you have to do what works best for you, but if we stop using all the tools that CAN cause problems we'll never be as productive as we could be. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Did YOU know how to change it back prior to Post #5?  If so, why not tell people how to do so rather than simply encouraging them not to use the tool? 

Yes and have known ,how to, forever, it is a fact, for many years, that this problem has caused many people ,PROBLEMS, that they didn't know how to fix. There should be an easier way. I'll bet Chief also gets a lot of calls about this.

• Upvote 1