Removing old versions of CA from HD

Korel_Design

My "C" drive is a 250GB SSD. While doing some PhotoShop work last night I ran out of space on my HD. I had the "C" drive set as my "PS Scratch Drive" (temporary storage). I presently have 65GB of free space on the "C" Drive. I have now set in PS Preferences my "D" Drive as my Scratch Drive. Drives "D" & "E" are both 2TB Hard Drive with plenty of space. I looked at what all I have installed and I have all versions of CA all the way back to X3. The X3 Data Folder in Documents is over 10GB in size itself. My Question is; Would it be non-prudent to remove the older versions from my machine if I never use them and have no plans to ever use them any longer?

I only keep back two versions for the first 6 months of a release, then only one old one. I can install older ones in a pinch if I really needed to. A few folks here, like David Potter, keep all versions going back to forever. Maybe he'll chime in with what he does or you could search forum and it may already be somewhere.

I also only keep a couple of the latest versions on the C-drive, but I keep all the old  data folders , and job folders ,on my 4tb backup drive. You never know when an old client might call for more work,. and it has happened a lot ,or you might work on a neighbor's house with the same floor plan.  I find that older plans are easily brought forward to a new version with minor mods. I never go back and actually use the older versions. Oh, also backup everything to Carbonite for extra protection even though I have never had to use it.

For now, just delete the old versions you no longer use or need BUT you also need to be looking at a long-term solution for the size of your drive "C" (it is way too small as it is). My drive "C" is 500 Gb and is totally full already (I keep really old versions of Home Designer and Chief on a separate hard drive that runs Windows XP). I do have Versions X1-X9 on my "C" drive.

DJP

Thanks David, So true about the size of the C drive. It's a SSD and not a partition so it suppose to be super fast or something. I think I can actually pick up maybe 25 to 30 GB by deleting the older versions. I don't do others work and only my own so having an older version is really not any issue. Next time around my C drive will be at least 500GB.

Later Dude,

JK

I deleted the program files of the old X3 through X7. I moved the Data Files from the Documents Folder to a special folder on my D Drive where I have tons of space, just in case. Is there a way to have CA point to the new location of the Data Files without having to someday maybe move them back? Or is it easier to simply move them back?

On My Computer with a 250GB SSD I use windows ability to move Library Locations to another Drive eg D: and E: where there is plenty of Space , eg the Documents Folder , Pictures folder and also Videos. Music etc , all things that don't need the SSD speed usually. I also have OneDrive and Google Drive ( now Backup and Sync) on E: .

Open your User Folder scroll down to say Pictures , right Click it and Use the Location Tab in the DBX that pops up to move the Files to a new Folder on D or E Drive. Click apply and say yes to move all existing folders to the new Folder.

Doing this with Documents mean the Files for Chief are still in My Documents and Windows knows it is now on D: Drive for eg so you don't need to change Chief Preferences.

M.