roof tile 3d

trasimeno64

4 hours ago, trasimeno64 said:

With chief architect you can create Portuguese tiles in 3d?
If you have a tutorial.
Sorry for the bad English.
Hi and thank you so much.

roof tiles 3d.jpg

It can be done using custom symbols for the tile which would then be applied to a distribution region.  I've done it and it works fairly well as long as the model isn't to big.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It can be done using custom symbols for the tile which would then be applied to a distribution region.  I've done it and it works fairly well as long as the model isn't to big.

I saw it on the old forum.

Here's a couple of pics where I used my Mission Tile Symbols.  The are a little more complex symbols than Chopsaw's but the key is to have the object dbx reference "From Roof" and specify "Flush Mounted"  My Symbols are tapered so they overlap as they go up the roof slope.  Chopsaw's symbols would need to be set at an angle to get the same effect.  That would be done in the Symbol dbx by rotating about the x axis.  I would suggest about -2 degrees.  It would just take a little bit of experimenting to get the right angle.

Mission Tile Roof Example.JPG

Mission Tile Roof.jpg

Mission Tile Symbols.jpg

• Upvote 1

Another thing to consider is how the tiles are placed.  There are basically 2 options:

1. Place one Symbol and use the "Multi-Copy" Tool.  This allows different spacing in the x & y directions but can be a bit tedious.
  2. Define a "Distribution Region" matching the Roof Plane and assign the Symbol to it.  In this case the spacing can only be the same in both directions.  I think I've seen a suggestion to allow unequal spacing in a "Distribution Region" which would eliminate that problem.  Otherwise the Symbol has to be designed so that equal spacing gives the desired result. 

It's also possible to use a "Distribution Path" and the "Multi-Copy" Tool to get unequal spacing since each has it's own values.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Ecco un paio di foto dove ho usato i miei Simboli di piastrelle della missione. I simboli sono un po 'più complessi di quelli di Chopsaw, ma la chiave è quella di avere il riferimento dbx dell'oggetto "Da Roof" e specificare "Flush Mounted". I miei simboli sono affusolati in modo che si sovrappongano mentre salgono sul pendio del tetto. I simboli di Chopsaw dovrebbero essere impostati ad un angolo per ottenere lo stesso effetto. Quello sarebbe fatto nel Symbol dbx ruotando intorno all'asse x. Vorrei suggerire circa -2 gradi. Sarebbe sufficiente fare un po 'di sperimentazione per ottenere l'angolo retto.

Mission Tile Roof Example.JPG

Mission Tile Roof.jpg

Mission Tile Symbols.jpg

it's just what I wanted

thank you very much for helping.

Here is part 2

I did not find a shortcut for side 2 but it seems like there should be one so I am open to suggestions but it seems the starter row can be reflected but then you must create a Right version of the symbol rotated 2.5° in the other direction and apply it to the Polyline Distribution Paths on the back side of the roof using the same logic as the first side.

Many thanks to Joe for contributing.  And please be sure to post any further questions and the results of the project so Chief can see how things are done in your country and improve the software accordingly if necessary.

Chopsaw,

This is how we handle the lowest or starting tile course:

Bellcast batten: (Tilting batten) A batten installed on the toe of the rafters in a vertical line with the plum cut, to keep the eaves course of tiles on the same rake as the other courses. (The fascia board usually serves this purpose).

This causes the starter course to be at the same angle as the rest of the tiles - otherwise it is noticeable and doesn't look particularly good.

The tilting batten is taller than all the other battens - or as the quote says, the fascia is often used for the same purpose. 

Chopsaw,

Notice that I have 3 symbols.

• Field Tile (assigned to Distribution Region)
  • Rake Tile (assigned to Distribution Path on both Rakes - mirror for right side)
  • Ridge Tile (Multi-Copied along Ridge)

With your "S" Tiles, you just need to add a Rake Tile for the left side. 

In addition, if you set the angle of the tiles in the Library you won't need to do nearly as much editing and the overlaps will be consistent as long as you don't mirror the them in the wrong direction.  Getting the Symbols correctly set in the beginning is key to minimizing the pain.

Thanks guys,  The extra details help a lot as tiles are not so common in northern climates for some reason.  There may be other little things necessary depending on the roof design but I can see that the Bellcast batten makes perfect sense for installation and would fill the gap in the fascia that I was trying to avoid in the illustration.  Not sure why the Ridge Tiles could not use a Distribution Path Joe ?

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Not sure why the Ridge Tiles could not use a Distribution Path Joe ?

There's no reason at all.  Any way to place them linearly works fine.  The reason I don't usually use a Distribution Path is so I can reverse the "overlap direction" at the center of the ridge if I want.

BTW, This same system works for Flat Tiles, Shakes or Shingles.  Usually we can handle those with just a texture and bump map but there are some cases where a more accurate 3D appearance is needed.  The nice thing about these symbols is that there's really no need for separate "Rake Tiles".