x9 freezes when 3d camera view closed

DianeP

Anyone else having problems with x9 semi- locking up when you go to CLOSE a 3d overview or floor camera?  I say semi locking up because the file can still be saved and the various tools are available, but the mouse locator disappears in the drawing window.  I can't really use anything.  The little white mouse arrow is only visible around the edges of the drawing space and disappears inside the drawing space.  3d views are beautiful and open quickly, don't know why they won't close.  They aren't tied to a layout view.  Only solution is to shut down CA and reopen it and then your good to go until the next time you try to shut down a 3d camera view.  Been happening for about a week and a half.

My advice is to contact Tech Support as this is not a widespread problem it is probably a problem, hardware or software wise on only your computer. The first place I would look and handle is your video card's software drivers. Make sure they are the most up to date ones offered by your video card manufacturer. Secondly, I would look at my mouse software drivers; same thing make sure they are the latest version. How long has it been since you thoroughly cleaned out your computer case interior? Accumulated dirt and dust can wreak havoc on a PC's performance and stability. You have a computer problem, not a Chief problem.

DJP

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DianeP said:

Anyone else having problems with x9 semi- locking up when you go to CLOSE a 3d overview or floor camera?  I say semi locking up because the file can still be saved and the various tools are available, but the mouse locator disappears in the drawing window.  I can't really use anything.  The little white mouse arrow is only visible around the edges of the drawing space and disappears inside the drawing space.  3d views are beautiful and open quickly, don't know why they won't close.  They aren't tied to a layout view.  Only solution is to shut down CA and reopen it and then your good to go until the next time you try to shut down a 3d camera view.  Been happening for about a week and a half.

I have also been having this exact same problem. It started for me just a few days ago. My program is doing the exact same thing and I have tried the same solutions. I submitted a case to Tech Support this morning. I will post what I hear back from them.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for checking with Tech Support.  i think there  was a Windows 10 update about the time mine started acting crazy.  I used to think the problem had to do with the library browser because it would freeze up once I selected something to put into the drawing.  That isn't happening anymore,thankfully.

Decided to submit to tech support, as well, so they wouldn't think it was just you having the issue.  

• Upvote 1

Now that you mention that, I had a notification earlier this week that my computer had updated overnight, too. I have updated my submission to Tech Support to let them know this was a common factor for both of us - hopefully just a setting that needs to be changed from the update! Will let you know as soon as I hear something.

I seem to have gotten the issue resolved on my computer. It was an issue with an updated version of the video card on my computer. Tech Support gave me instructions on how to revert to an older version of the video card and everything seems to be working great again now! I will just copy and paste my conversation with tech support here and you can see if you happen to have the same video card. If you don't, you may want to contact tech support yourself to ensure you get the proper version to get things working for you again - but hopefully this will get you on the right track at least. These posts start from the most recent so you'll want to start reading from the bottom. Hope this helps!!

Support Answer -

Katherine Kory
Friday, Nov 10, 2017 - 07:54 AM PST
Hello Travis,

As I suspected what you are seeing does fit with this issue we've seen before and it appears to be bad drivers possibly in combination with Windows 10 updates starting in June from Nvidia. As a result, I would suggest rolling back your graphics card driver (for your 1060 card) to one from May (I would check in with Nvidia on the process for doing this as this goes a bit beyond the realm of our tech support department but you might be able to download the May driver and install it so it overwrites the current driver).

I did take the time to find the May driver for you that should work but I have also included the manual driver search information below.

May driver: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/119399" target="_blank">https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/119399

To find the May driver I would go to this page and use their manual driver search (the options would be Geforce, Geforce 10 Series, your 1060 card, English, and All). The results will bring up a number of different drivers but the ones at the bottom should be the May drivers you are looking for.

Nvidia Manual Driver Search Page: https://www.geforce.com/drivers

If after you do roll back to a May driver and you are still having issues, please provide us the latest graphics card information so we can continue to work on finding a solution for you. So far our customers with the same issue have not reported any issues using that May driver so it should work for you. We are still looking into a more permanent solution going forward though.

Best regards,

Katherine
Technical Support Analyst
Chief Architect
Joseph Hellvig
Friday, Nov 10, 2017 - 07:45 AM PST
Katherine,

Here is what I have:

OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer: GEForce GTX 1060/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 385.14
Video Memory: 4095 MB
Driver Date: 7-30-2017

- Support Answer -

Katherine Kory
Friday, Nov 10, 2017 - 07:30 AM PST
Hello Travis,

We have seen these symptoms before, but in order to determine if you are having the same issue I was wondering if I could get some more information on your graphics card.

When you open Chief Architect go into Edit -> and down to Preferences. In Preferences in the left column click on Video Card Status and let me know what you have next to the following items:

OpenGL Vendor
OpenGL Renderer
OpenGL Version
Video Memory
Driver Date

Best regards,

Katherine
Technical Support Analyst
Chief Architect

• 2 months later...