CAD drawing not showing up in file

sweetmelissa

Hi, I have created a few CAD dxf files that are seemingly not correct because when I send them to a laser company (to have the pieces cut out) I am being told there is nothing on the file.  Would someone please open them up in a CAD program, look at my CA drawing or whatever else and tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you.  I will attach a pdf of what it is supposed to look like, the CA plan and the dxf file.  MANY THANKS!!

BUTTERFLY A pdf.pdf

Butterfly A.dxf

Butterfly A.plan

I opened it in AutoCAD and it was empty.  I opened my new file in AutoCAD and it is there, all though, as usually (based on 0,0), one has to 'zoom extents' in AutoCAD to see it.

I didn't put anymore time into why it isn't showing up, just created a new one...path of least resistance. :)

Mine open up fine in CA.  I don't have an autoCAD program.  We sent test files to a friend/draftsman who originally said they were empty; but the last one I sent to him he said was fine; so I sent them on to the company who then said they were empty.  The steps I am taking when I export it is as follows: I click on "file/export/current view/export(with no changes made to defaults)/change type to dxf/save.  Possibly I need to change something to the defaults that come up when I export it?? Can you tell me the steps you took to save your file to dxf that opened correctly. I attached the window that gives me options when I export.  I am brand new to this... been using CA for a month or so.  I wouldn't know which settings need to be changed when exporting to a dxf. Thanks for you time.   

dxf export.PNG

One thing that may be helpful would be to move your original drawing closer to the 0, 0  origin point in Chief as the Chief importer will do that automatically but other programs may handle it differently.   Sorry I don't have auto CAD to test with.

Melissa (name?), I followed the same steps, however, I have a few different settings. Without taking more time to investigate, not sure why yours didn't work the first time. Eric's suggestion of using the viewer is a good idea.  I check all my exported cad files before I send them out.

Capture.JPG

Ok, I will find a free viewer, move it closer to the 0,0, and try your exact settings which seem slightly different than mine.  I need to make this work.  There's no reason I should have to pay someone else to do these simple drawings. Any other suggestions are welcome.  

Melissa :)

Ok, it didn't seem to matter if I moved the start point to the 0,0 point.  However, when I saved the dxf with the exact settings as Ben's and opened it up on my trial version of a CAD file viewer, they showed up!! if you don't mind, will you check to see if they show up for you (anyone with the capability) and let me know?

Butterfly B new.dxf

Butterfly C new.dxf

Circle A new.dxf

Butterfly A new.dxf

I was told just a little bit ago that the reason my files weren't showing up is because I was drawing a black line on a white background in CA and autocad programs/viewers have a black background.  The drawing was there, but because it was a black line on a black page you couldn't see it.  So, I think that by checking the "export autocad index colors" which is not checked by default made the difference.  ... Just wanted to clarify in case anyone else runs into the same problem.    

1 hour ago, sweetmelissa said:

I was told just a little bit ago that the reason my files weren't showing up is because I was drawing a black line on a white background in CA and autocad programs/viewers have a black background.  The drawing was there, but because it was a black line on a black page you couldn't see it.  So, I think that by checking the "export autocad index colors" which is not checked by default made the difference.  ... Just wanted to clarify in case anyone else runs into the same problem.    

Yes, that is the purpose of the index color...just too lazy to explain it. :)  But to redeem myself, the reasons for the other settings I have:

1. I take the fills off because the fixtures or other fills will be whited out and it dominates the black screen of AutoCAD. 
  2. I choose an earlier version of AutoCAD because not everyone has the most up to date version and this ensures they can open it without me having to go back and re-export it.
  3. index colors: you explained.

I'm sure the help file explains it better and in more detail. (but again, too lazy to look it up).

All the best.