Brick Pattern In Vector View

luckyudesign

Go to solution Solved by Barton_Brown,

I am trying to show a raised brick accent (not sure of correct term) around some windows. I used the window dialog box, casing, set the depth etc, and used a brick material. In the standard view, it shows the brick wrapping around window the way it's supposed to be. In vector view, the one that's more important for elevations etc, it shows it all running the same way instead of turning on the sides. How do I fix this?

Les

post-321-0-01349600-1405787890_thumb.jpg

post-321-0-36107400-1405787912_thumb.jpg

When sent to layout pattern lines that are while will then not show or print.

To get brick or other patterns showing as you desire you need to make a "copy" of that material and then turn the pattern and texture file, 90d from the original, then the lines will follow that customization.

DJP

I understand turning the pattern 90 degrees. What I don't understand is the same material shows right in standard but wrong in vector. I guess the only way to do this to windows is make a manual molding (read, time consuming).

les

Les,  if you properly adjust BOTH the texture (standard view) and pattern (vector view) for the copied material you should get what you're after.

That's correct.

You can have the same texture in the same plan but they will each need their own properties if one is to be displayed in a different direction

Keep the "normal" brick as it exists, but make a copy of it for the secondary brick's use.

Then change the copied texture as you would like. That's how you can succesfully have brick with two different angles and direction.

I understand that the texture and pattern are different. However, if I change pattern so it is right on the sides of windows, it would be wrong on the top. In other words, say we have a trim with wood grain, the wood grain would run only one way in the pattern view. If the pattern is horizontal, it will be wrong on the sides of window. The interesting thing is chief recognizes this is standard view but in vector, the one which is more important for elevations etc, the trim is as one piece around window and the pattern only runs one way. So, the only way to make it right, is to make a vertical molding and a horizontal molding and apply it to each window as needed, which like I said earlier, is time consuming. In other words, the automatic settings you can do in the window dialog for casing only works if you are painting the trim or for rendering. In my case, I want to show on the elevations how I want the brick to be laid around the window. I was hoping someone would know of a quick easy way they could share with me. 

Thanks,
Les

• Solution

Les, I understand the problem you describe and can easily replicate it. 

As you have probably already determined, the problem seems to be with how CA deals with molded polylines (which I think is how they create their window casings). Anyway, you can also duplicate the issue you have by drawing a square 3D molded polyline in elevation view. Applying a brick material to the molded polyline displays similarly to the window casing in 'standard' and vector views. Because of this, I think you may be stuck with using something like a polyline slab to create the horizontal and vertical casing segments. With these you can control the direction of the 'pattern' in the material dbx edit section.

As you are probably already aware, you could convert the polyline slabs into one library symbol which would reduce the tediousness of applying it to all the windows.

Sorry I'm not much help other than to reinforce the idea that the problem seems to be how CA deals with the pattern file when applied to molded polylines.

oh, and if you haven't already submitted a defect ticket to Tech Support, this issue certainly qualifies...