CA sometimes wants to close after deleting an object

cv2702

Sporadically, after deleting an object (no precise pattern discerned so far), CA will want to close, thankfully first asking if I want to save changes.  It seems to happen after a long period of work and many interactions.  I usually cancel the closing and am able to continue work.

This may be particular to my setup, so I'm not expecting anyone to invest efforts in helping out.  I'm just posting to see if others have experienced something similar.

Your situation sounds very familiar to problems I have had in the past but have not experienced for a while now.  My computer was also randomly freezing up and after many hours on the phone with Dell and Microsoft I found a technician that recognized the problem and it seems to have also reduced my frequency of glitches in Chief.  I had no idea that temp files need to be deleted regularly but it seems to help a lot with overall system performance.   If you are also not familiar with that I can post my instruction sheet that I got from Microsoft.

If you have a long string of undo's they are stored in your temp files and seem to cause issues with chief in my experience.

I forgot I had changed the default Temp folders for Chief , I made two new folders in the Root of C:\ Drive and then changed the locations to them in Chief in the Preferences>>General>Folders ...... not sure if that is what helped or not but it has been better lately....

Capture11.JPG

Capture12.JPG

• Upvote 1

I did this after seeing posts here about issues with the Undo and Temp Folders....perhaps it was your previous posts on the issue a while back?  and things do seem better if not 100% cured...

One thing that seems to cause it is if you delete things too fast it seems to me ,you need to let Chief finish the delete before you click on the next thing and hit delete again....At least it seems like I can cause if if I go delete crazy in a test plan for example to start again...

It possible i have something bad in my library which causes that lockup but I am not sure how I woould figure that out as Chief's error messages are so obtuse I am not sure if anyone can figure out what caused the issue....assuming it is not a hardlock up and I get nothing...