Lumion 8 rendering teaser video

Charles

7 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Hi Scott,

Happy New Year! Sounds as if you are having a lot of fun with Lumion 8, looking forward to seeing some of your results. 

Happy New Year to too! Only briefly as I have been very busy with Design projects and have been blessed in that area with more than I expected to be doing at this time. It's a bit of a mixed blessing as I would like to spend time in Lumion and dig in deep. I love modeling but really want to transform the model into a realistic animated show piece but have to focus on my customers first. I'm already booked for the next few months  and have and interview next Friday for another remodeling job so... Life is Good! Have you the time to delve into Lumion? 

Here is a video i found recently on a Lum 8 render - just nuts how realistic it is now.  I jumped on the Lum 8 bandwagon due to seeing they were nearly on par with Unreal.

and then here is the vid of him working on this.

32 minutes ago, mrscott said:

I think those of us the have it we were all trying to tell everyone that Lumion 8 TRULY IS "What you see is what you get!" And unlike Chief, VERY INTUITIVE TO LEARN AND FUN TO BOOT!

Welcome aboard!

On 1/7/2018 at 6:35 AM, mrscott said:

Open, Load, and push the button. UTTERLY AMAZING!!!!!

You say this, but I haven't seen any examples from you.  If its really that easy, can you just quickly render a scene and post an example?

30 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You say this, but I haven't seen any examples from you.  If its really that easy, can you just quickly render a scene and post an example?

Sure! Just been VERY busy get plans done for paying clients. Only break briefly to respond to these msgs. I will do one better.... how about a video show the actual process?

Later!

18 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Johnny, it’s not playing! 

it plays in VLC but is only 2 secs long. ( 1mb file )  WMP didn't show anything....

Movies and TV App plays it too and showsa pic when finished unlike VLC

M.

Yep.  Kinda what I thought.  Its all super easy and super amazing and soooooo much better than Chief, and soooo much more intuitive, but so far no quick examples demonstrating how easy it is.  It should only take a couple minutes right?  I'm gonna go ahead and call BS.  Lumion is just like every other piece of software, it costs money, it takes time, and it always seems super easy till you dig into it.  

I have no doubt that it turns out a better end product than Chief but to be fair, you're definitely paying for it, both in time (learning and modeling) and money.

P.S.  I've seen plenty of Lumion examples from seasoned users.  Those ones don't count.  What I would like to see is the "Open, load, and push the button".  I won't hold my breath.

• Upvote 2

On 1/8/2018 at 6:23 PM, Kbird1 said:

it plays in VLC but is only 2 secs long. ( 1mb file )  WMP didn't show anything....

Movies and TV App plays it too and showsa pic when finished unlike VLC

M.

Will have to try on desktop and not iPhone.

thanks

Lumion is very easy and quick.  I am still running 6.  Not sure if upgrade is in order as 95% of the stuff I do actually I 'dumb down" the final product.

Here are a few renders with only chief materials and modified in Lumion.  Very little lumion time.   All edits can be seen in real time so light adjustments are super easy.  Movies were not even done on best resolution.  Took about 10min to render.

Wish I could justify upgrading to the latest.  Still on fence since I rarely get anyone who wants more than my typical chief WC and line stuff.  Most builders only want black and white too as clients are hard to keep focused.

Id say the render was pretty good.  Fin product below

THIjPHQ.jpg?3

4 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

Lumion is very easy and quick.  I am still running 6

I don't doubt that but to be fair, you have also been using it since AT LEAST version 6. 

To be clear, there is no doubt in my mind that Lumion is easy to use, intuitive, and a better rendering program than Chief.  I mean for $1,800-$3,600 it freakin' better be.  My comments were just a jab at the " Open, Load, and push the button" type comments.  If it was that easy we wouldn't need guys like you or Jintu now would we?

Michael,

For me, the bottom line is how straight forward and intuitive a program is to use. Some people catch on quickly to many challenging applications. Hell, I've been drawing with Chief since X5 but only in the past 2 years have I really started to seriously focus on it. You know, we've spoken, you and I. I am not and will never be the kind of user like you and many other power dudes are, and that's okay. I'm glad guys like you give us the time of day and guide us along the way through Chief! Funny, I can still see and hear my brother when I got the first Commodor 64. 5-1/4 floppies and all, he looked at me as said, "When you can tell that thing what you want and it does it, I'll buy one!"  Well, he's come around since and is an avid user. My point...Software needs to be intuitive enough for the mass audience a company needs to grow and prosper. You, my friend, are not the one to comment here because what comes easy and ho hum (because that's how you think and that's cool - I envy you!) but for many others, what you do in your sleep we have to struggle with for days. It's programs like Lumion that are doing it right, and that is why I did not hesitate to get onboard. I just wish I wasn't fighting Chief so much to get what I want done so I could spend time in Lumion, Where lumber need to go on plan by the CPU should not drive how we look at it. If I am on level 1 (first floor) then I want to draw and view everything that is associated with the 1st Floor on the 1st Floor. What's wrong with that? Let the computer figure out the best and correct place to print it and order it to the layout. All I want to do is sort by layer for the first floor. I know that was very simple and probably lame to all you construction gurus out there. I do understand a good bit about the process but!  The avg Joe just wants to draw a correct set of plans then move onto construction, and maybe make it pretty and realistic looking in the process to attract a potential buyer, Okay, I've gone on too long again, sorry. Perhaps I need to sit with someone does 400 plans a year that has a system of spiting these things out. Then maybe I'll get a system down. Chief is a LOVE HATE relationship for me. I will continue to renew my SSA each year and support those who are true guides and mentors. Speaking of...There is only one person I have met that has been a true inspiration and an honest help in me getting organize with Chief. Cudos to Jared Baehmer. His template work is amazing, straight forward and as help me more in the last few months than I have through all other channels combined. He takes his and is patient in explaining and work through areas until you get it. If someone needs REAL help getting established with Chief He's there man! I could rattle of a number of others, like yourself, that have helped and been and inspiration along the way, but I will probably forget someone so I will not try.

BTW, I will get a Lumion video done :-)

• Upvote 1

it was pretty easy first time I used it frankly.   I was shocked at how easy it was.   It is expensive and their upgrades are nuts.  1000euros for one version behind and almost full cost for 2 versions.

If photorealistic was a big part of what I did, I would make the leap in a second.   I find that for what i do, Chief WC with line drawings work AWESOME.   I wish I could find clients who wanted to pay a good amount for better 3d but that is not what I find. 

I am pretty busy doing plan work, and it would be hard to justify pulling off that to do work that effectively did not make as much.  I while Lumion is very fast, (as fast as I can picture anything could be), it still does take the time to be picky and get the whole scene set up.  It takes a long time "decorating" a model to where when you go photo realistic, it looks nice.   The better the quality of the image, and then you are worried about things that would never show on a lower quality render.   

This is off topic, but 3d rendering in general....There seems to be people in the rendering business who I could probably pay to do it rather then justify my time screwing around getting a perfect looking scene.   Dont get me wrong, I LOVE playing with it and generating the images....but for what the market will pay for it, I think I am better off just drawing plans.

Lately I have been providing my builders with the ability to work direct with their clients.  I create sketchup models and stylize them and set up scenes for my builders.  I have them buy a 3d mouse and they have instant presentations!  That way they give off the impression of being more a "design build".   I let the builder handle all the headache of dealing with the client, and I get a very streamlined process which goes about 4 times faster.  (and I dont have to meet them).   I still have individual clients, but they take MUCH more hand holding, and my bread and butter are smaller builders doing 10-15/ year without in-house design.

Anyway....I cant get any of them to bite off on paying me to do the really good looking stuff.  Of course they would love it if I offered to do it for a small amount of money...But I cant justify doing it on the cheap....

Ok,  This might help.   Here is a sequence of my first month with Lumion.   

This is the first thing I tired to do in lumion.(day 2)  Beyond the first few times of opening and just playing around.  

Remember this is an older version and new reflective settings would have really made this jump.

This was my second attempt at something. Day 4  (still had not played with the lumion materials settings hence the bad stainless) O did start to play with reflection planes.  This was two days later.  Newer version do that almost auto now.

This is what I was generating for builders as they wanted more watered down versions.  (this is day 5)

This is day 10.  Learning how to import good earth and terrain into chief and then render in lumion.

This is month in.   I did this vid with all the rendering coming from Lumion.  Modeled all the thing in chief, even builders logo you see in title screen.  Not bad for something I was just playing with in my spare time......

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, mrscott said:

BTW, I will get a Lumion video done :-)

Seriously...PLEASE don't do that for my sake.  I honestly don't need to see one and I don't need to see any proof.  I only asked for a quick rendering because I knew I wouldn't get one that fast.  As you well know, you've found time to submit posts on all sorts of things (some of them rather long) but somehow the time it takes to "open, load, and push the button" is a bit much for you right now ;).   I've just noticed you ripping on Chief a lot lately and so I decided to go ahead and take a shot at your obvious and blatant hyperbole is all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Michael

Definitely not a pissing match, but it really is that easy.  You can even see the upload dates on the videos to verify timeline.  

Dont get me wrong.  I LOVE chief.  I have been using since 97  Ver6 I think.

And tools in general are only as good as you apply them  (you are a great testament to that with your way of finding new ways to do stuff)

Like I said....if one is making money with rendering, Lumion is a no-brainer.   But that is not the base of my work.  My clients are happy with WC and Line which I use liberally!   I love it for the ability to produce the design intent without getting caught up in the little things.  Chief makes that seamless for me.   I could care less about the new PBR....  I want Chief to be more efficient on Construction drawings personally.

Always appreciate your view points.   I love the way you dive into some of the things in Chief.   Cool to see the way other users solve problems.

Here is a very quick demonstration of workflow of chief to lumion.  5 min vid.   You can then start adding more effects and lighting (all in real time where you can see finished look).

Just putting this here as there was some curiosity.  Wish I could justify the upgrade to 8 but I dont often have builders request the 3d stuff.  This was a plan mod for a builder and the client wanted the exterior modeled.  (just quickly)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, Chiefer said:

Hi J,

Did you see the teaser for X10? There is a new rendering technique called Physically-Based Rendering Technique but I like to call it PB Real-Time, Rendering time is less than a second, so much like the Standard Tendering Technique but with a Lumion-like quality...

You need to upgrade,,, or renew your SSA to be able to beta test X10.

Hey Jintu!  Now that you've had X10 for awhile how does the PBR compare to Lumion?  Still quite a distance or is CA closing the gap?

52 minutes ago, Jay_on_Cape said:

Hey Jintu!  Now that you've had X10 for awhile how does the PBR compare to Lumion?  Still quite a distance or is CA closing the gap?

Jay,

Nice video. Couple of points on the sample. I know you're in Lumion 6 and 8 has been updated with nice features worth the upgrade. I also have X10 (SSA is current) but for me the real difference in Lumion vs Chief is not so much the PBR element, Chief is getting better, it's Lumion is much easier to adjust everything in Real-Time vs Chief's still clunky trial and error lighting and texture settings adjustments. Couple of points with Textures in Lumion - I use PURE GLASS on windows as it is just that - Pure Glass and much more realistic. For the floors, I place a Reflection Plane down first, again much more realistic than adjusting Reflections alone, and then adjust the Bump Map settings. If that doesn't yield the result I want then I replace the material with one of Lumions 2, 4 or 8K materials and WOW! What a difference that makes.

So, in summary, I am staying with X10 as I have too much invested in both time and plans, but am keeping my options open. Chief is still too limited or too difficult for me to achieve the results I seek. REVIT, on the other hand, is completely flexible and capable of doing everything I want to do AND it even allows me to place the model in Lumion and make adjustments to every aspect of the model in REAL-TIME so I can watch it unfold Lumion while I am building in REVIT. This, for me, is a real game changer but will take time to get comfortable enough to switch platforms completely.

Chief vs, Lumion

• Chief is attempting to put everything in one package, and except for Animating Scenes with WX and Landscaping and Animated Entourage, they are getting close. Still too buggy and lacking in functionality (i,e, Stairs)
  • Lumion is Far and Away more intuitive than Chief in all aspects of Texturing, Materials and Lighting. Add to that the animation capabilities. I am happy with my choices.

Note: My comments are not meant to be entirely negative towards Chief. It's a great platform and value. It's all about choices and what one desires out of their tools. I prefer not to be a slave to my tools.

1 hour ago, Jay_on_Cape said:

PBR is getting there, Lumion is not as good as it is now either,,,

BTW, PBR exterior isn't there yet.

• 1 month later...

I'm very interested in this Lumion 8 Pro. I'm on vacation going through this thread, but when I get back to work I have to seriously sit don and see if the $3g purchase is worth it for the type of work I do. These are the instances where I think it'll help my office:

1. My client types are fine with standard Chief exteriors and Chief PBR interiors.

2. The exteriors with any water, pools, and lakes look amazing. I see a great chance to implement this. I've seen some a pool design program that had amazing moving water rendering,  fountains, etc. But again, how often do I need this.

3. The biggest possibility, if I have a fairy nice job that doesn't get built for any reason, I can only market it on my website as a proposal. No final built pictures. It's a real shame and detracts from the project possibilities. This program is so good that the average client looking at my website wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a rendering or a built final. But is that enough of a reason for a $3g price? Marketing alone? Is that money better off spent on an 11" x 17" color laser printer?

I have to look at this on a "return on investment" perspective. I don't see clients paying anymore than I can charge now. It's a struggle to charge $4 a sf even though towns want more and more info on drawings. I'm trying to implement an additional fee just to make up that wasted time but everyone expects this for free. But if this program makes realistic exterior renders with lavish landscaping very fast, than I love it. If it truly makes interior renderings better than raytraces, that render in just a few seconds, thats another reason to buy.

On a side note, I have the deepest respect for Michael, but I was blown away by the trash talking. I will never understand macros. Its just not my capability. This additional program is a tool, just like any other. If it extends the capabilities of Chief beyond the standard Chief program, whats the problem? I would buy a plugin that makes macros simple and easy for a user like me if it existed. Would that be wrong? I dont think so. Jintu makes a living doing renderings, and charging for it. It's impressive that he would GIVE so much free information. He could just be quiet and tell everyone he can do it for you for a price, rather than trying to be helpful and insightful. Kudos.

Edward, as you indicate that you do not need this level of rendering for your daily activities I would suggest considering to just farm out the couple of projects that you wish to showcase. The issue is not really the time to render, it's the learning curve and graphic design skills needed to obtain those fantastic results. Suggest reviewing some of the postings from Rene as he often mentions the time and effort he puts into his rendering work.

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Edward, as you indicate that you do not need this level of rendering for your daily activities I would suggest considering to just farm out the couple of projects that you wish to showcase. The issue is not really the time to render, it's the learning curve and graphic design skills needed to obtain those fantastic results. Suggest reviewing some of the postings from Rene as he often mentions the time and effort he puts into his rendering work.

Graham,

I respectfully disagree. If anything has a challenging "Learning Curve" it is Chief. I learned more from than anything else I have seen from the MFG. Frankly I am SICK of all the Marketing videos Chief is posting all over YouTube. If you want to see how easy it to use LUMION go to Lynda-dot-com and watch Brian Myers' Lumion Essential Training. Best 4:47 min I have spent on any training product. His courses in REVIT are some of the BEST in the industry, too.

I know Jintu commented that Lumion may not be up with Chief now that Chief has PBR, and that has elevated the product, but there are still far too many issues with Chief that have steered me to seek other products. I only come here a post like this raises my BP. Like you, many have mastered Chief, but for me, I just cannot get my head around this vast number of issues (workarounds) required to accomplish the end result. I have posted videos from my YouTube channel but for some reason they get pulled or rejected. If you want more...call me. you know how to reach me.

All the best,