Charles

46 minutes ago, Rich_Winsor said:

You guys are killing me. I would hope that that there are

programs out there that can produce outstanding results,

but this is a Chief forum. I am all about achieving the best

possible results using Chief software. If you want to go

somewhere else fine but, let's focus on what's possible

with Chief.

I contributed a lot to the tutorials...Isn't it enough?

2 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

with Chief.

Agree 100%. It's always interesting to see what's going on in the industry but there comes a point where it seems more like a promotional sales pitch for another software company.  Unfortunately this tone, intentional or not, effectively undermines the capabilities of CA. It should be realized that potential purchasers of CA have access to certain parts of this forum as they evaluate CA prior to purchase. Too much of this type of discussion can unintentional and unfairly result in a lost sale and that effects everyone of us. The only way a company can fund it's future is through constant growth and that means more sales every year and when it comes to sales every sale is important.

Rick,

I felt this way on other threads. But I have to disagree with you here. This thread is title Lumion 8 Teaser so it is pretty clear it is not 100% native Chief rendering, there are threads for that and I am 100% in agreement with you on those threads. Here, I would like to see those Chief users using Lumion for rendering, as Graham put it, show us how it is done. Jintu was gracious enough to provide a teaser.  I would very much appreciate a bit more in depth example of importing a Chief Collada model into any version of Lumion or even Unreal Engine. At Jintu’s suggestion, I spent several hours last night getting my bearings with Lumion and am very excited about the possibilities.

Chief is making great progress each year improving their capabilities and I would not be surprised to see some really special things very soon. Will it be to Lumion’s level? Who knows.

Rick, thanks for your feedback. All comments are appreciated as we are an exclusive group we need to support one another.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Really, here's that scene from the Lumion gallery. They don't look anywhere close to me.

5a030dab6a43f_Capture_Lumion8.thumb.PNG.15908a20bea4528a345e02b800d071fc.PNG

Here you are again.

Didn't you read about the custom effect I mentioned?

Why did you not picked this exterior which is also on their website?

Are you questioning my interigity or Lumion's?

daytime.jpg

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Here you are again.

Didn't you read about the custom effect I mentioned?

Why did you not picked this exterior which is also on their website?

Are you questioning my interigity or Lumion's?

daytime.jpg

"In the sample scenes below, I used Daytime Style for both Exterior and Interior. What you see in the Teaser is really what you'll get."

I'm not question your integrity or Lumion's.  I have repeatedly and always stated that this program can deliver exception results, way beyond the capabilities of Ray Trace.

I only choose that one because it was focused on more than the others. I did not state that the rendering was bad, just attempting to get a handle on what it really takes to get those spectacular results. Your demonstration of those new features is valid, but those one-clickers did not produce a truly photo realistic rendering.

Please try not to interpret my questioning as an attempt to undermine your efforts or qualifications, that is not my intention at all; and try not taking such a strong defensive position and I'm certain you would find the conversation to be far more fruitful and beneficial to all.

Jintu,

I, for one, have no doubt you’re a power user and expert. Would it be possible for you to provide a short demo, as you did for me, but with a model of Our chosing? This way people can really see there are not as many steps as one might think to achieve these results.

Thanks for all you do!

2 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Jintu,

I, for one, have no doubt you’re a power user and expert. Would it be possible for you to provide a short demo, as you did for me, but with a model of Our chosing? This way people can really see there are not as many steps as one might think to achieve these results.

Thanks for all you do!

Sure

Please post the plan. Save the camera view as well.

10 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

"In the sample scenes below, I used Daytime Style for both Exterior and Interior. What you see in the Teaser is really what you'll get."

I'm not question your integrity or Lumion's.  I have repeatedly and always stated that this program can deliver exception results, way beyond the capabilities of Ray Trace.

I only choose that one because it was focused on more than the others. I did not state that the rendering was bad, just attempting to get a handle on what it really takes to get those spectacular results. Your demonstration of those new features is valid, but those one-clickers did not produce a truly photo realistic rendering.

Please try not to interpret my questioning as an attempt to undermine your efforts or qualifications, that is not my intention at all; and try not taking such a strong defensive position and I'm certain you would find the conversation to be far more fruitful and beneficial to all.

Lumion is not even a ray tracer to start with,.

53 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Chief is making great progress each year improving their capabilities and I would not be surprised to see some really special things very soon. Will it be to Lumion’s level? Who knows.

I love this! :D

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Sure

Please post the plan. Save the camera view as well.

Sure can but the secondary, and or more importantly is, what will you do to the model prior to exporting it to a Collada file? If you would elaborate on this here, I will attempt to emulate your process and test it in Lumion 6.

One of the things Graham does for us with Ray Tracing, is explains his settings so we can achieve the results he does in his postings. This is really what this forum is all about so, it you would similar, we could all benefit.

Thank you,

5 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

with Chief.

I guess since this is a additional tool (not a replacement) I can't see how this is an issue.  I'm sure Chief would say something if they thought it was a problem, but in the end this is about taking files from Chief Architect (starting point) and making them better.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mrscott said:

One of the things Graham does for us with Ray Tracing, is explains his settings so we can achieve the results he does in his postings. This is really what this forum is all about so, it you would similar, we could all benefit.

Thank you,

Honestly, I'm not convinced of his method. Won't recommend it to new users.

what will you do to the model prior to exporting it to a Collada file?

Please elaborate.

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Honestly, I'm not convinced of his method. Won't recommend it to new users.

What is it that you are not convinced of? When I make a recommendation I provide a significant degree of supportive evidence to validate what I state. I also attempt to explain in detail my observations and conclusions based upon many test conditions. I rarely if ever state that my recommendations are carved in stone and always welcome being questioned about my results and methods.

If someone can demonstrate a better approach then I could not be happier. The intent is not who is right or wrong, it's to motivate the thinking process so hopefully we will get to the right answer one way or the other. I could care less who comes up with the ultimate answer.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Much more impressive, I'm certain what we all wish to know is was when you choose custom what steps were involved to get it to that level of quality.

Still used a preset, partially. Tweaked the Sun (direction), Color Correction (environment) and the  Depth of Field (for the focal blur)

5a0340d452d05_JintusAH.thumb.jpg.f5b8ce37bd7e5f826ab5819b5dd77c46.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Still used a preset, partially. Tweaked the Sun (direction), Color Correction (environment) and the  Depth of Field (for the focal blur)

5a0340d452d05_JintusAH.thumb.jpg.f5b8ce37bd7e5f826ab5819b5dd77c46.jpg

Thanks Jintu, what's interesting is that many of those functions are similar to some extent as to what one would find in say Photoshop or one of it's plug-ins. Doesn't surprise me as it would be a natural evolution of these rendering programs and certainly advantageous to it's users in reducing the necessity to perform extensive post rendering processing work using other programs. In the tutorial link I sent a few days ago this was often mentioned.

I've been repeating this until I'm blue in the face

(well actually green in the face). All this aftermarket

stuff is great but not germane to a Chief software

forum. What is germane is anything that leads to

improved results with Chief software. I don't think

you can argue the point that starting with the best

possible image from Chief will yield the best results

when taking it to post production software. If I were

a moderator I would remove all these non Chief

type of posts. If you want to see how Chief would

import to a post production software I would suggest

that you log into one of their forums and ask what

is the best way to import a Chief file. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's the Bistro scene rendered via a preset in L8. Credit goes to Open Research Content Archive (ORCA) for the model.

Hope Chief would get inspired by developing similar rendering engine so we wouldn't go thru the usual raytrace

ALBistro.jpg

2 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

I've been repeating this until I'm blue in the face

(well actually green in the face). All this aftermarket

stuff is great but not germane to a Chief software

forum. What is germane is anything that leads to

improved results with Chief software. I don't think

you can argue the point that starting with the best

possible image from Chief will yield the best results

when taking it to post production software. If I were

a moderator I would remove all these non Chief

type of posts. If you want to see how Chief would

import to a post production software I would suggest

that you log into one of their forums and ask what

is the best way to import a Chief file. 

Rich,

I thought you lived in "Heaven on Earth" so what are you getting so stressed out about?  Seriously, posted under false pretenses I completely agree with you. There should be a disclaimer that any posted images showcasing Work on this Forum should be required to state whether or not they were produced 100% with Chief, and if not, provide the applications used to do so. If one is trying to promoted their capabilities for business pursuits their is a Thread for that. I am voting for several focused thread groups on the Forum, based on Chief Architect, of course. One specifically, where when someone posts a video or plan to their thread is automatically gets ported to a specific thread category. But I digress, the very Chief provides a Collada file export features justifies the existence of this very conversation. Will Chief reach this level of sophistication....you might be surprised before you know it.  

Scott - very good point concerning the CA content %. It would also be just as important to know what % of involvement the poster themselves had in this. Just posting other peoples work that was obviously not done in any part using CA, though interesting, is not really relevant to what one can achieve using CA. That would be no different than me showing my clients kitchen designs done by others, they don't need to know what other designers can do, they need to know what I can do.

There is validity in the fact that CA has an export function and as such direct discussion on how to do this is certainly well within the realm of CA. The issue here in this particular posting is that this is not what is being discussed, it's become a meaningless exercise with no productive outcome in sight. It's a bit like arguing over which is better a pickup truck or a Ferrari, it all depends on the context. If I need to drive on the Autobahn at 250 miles an hour then it's the Ferrari, but if I need to go to Home Depot for some drywall then it's the pickup truck.

I believe that 99.9% of CA users are in the pickup truck camp, what's of utmost importance is the ability to generate working drawings suitable for permit submission and the actual construction of a home, pretty pictures will not suffice. That's were CA needs to focus it's attention because that's why we chose it and that's what we need it to do. For those that need a Ferrari then there are lots of those for sale already.

There have been topics exactly like this, about Lumion (and other rendering engines) in the past started by the other users of Chief long before I purchased a copy.

As a professional renderer, I found it interesting. I enjoyed every thread about it. We didn't tell the posters things the way these two are saying now. Respect begets.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

There have been topics exactly like this, about Lumion (and other rendering engines) in the past started by the other users of Chief long before I purchased a copy.

As a professional renderer, I found it interesting. I enjoyed every thread about it. We didn't tell the posters things the way these two are saying now. Respect begets.

Jintu,

I trust are not referring me as one of "These two", I am actually suggesting Rich back off his soap box. With all due respect Rich if you are not interested or don't appreciate what others may about this topic then remove it from your notification list.

Enough said, keep up the good work Jintu. You Rock!

Now, about the file. I will first post the Collada file. Any special requirements? Thanks,