Lumion 8 rendering teaser video

Charles

Yeah, that really looks amazing.  I am probably going to upgrade, but the only thing holding me back is that Unreal is really pushing for architects to start using their game engine for renderings and walk-thru's and its even better than this.  Oddly, unreal is actually free for architects right now too.  The expense is in buying high res texture packages and resources like furniture and other staging items.

Unreal is much more complicated to learn - but the results are truly way above anything else...even what you see here from Lumion.  I want to make sure this type of quality if actually achievable by Lumion ...  it could be an advertising teaser that is actually impractical to get results similar to.  I just dont know yet.

23 hours ago, johnny said:

Unreal is much more complicated to learn - but the results are truly way above anything else...even what you see here from Lumion.  I want to make sure this type of quality if actually achievable by Lumion ...  it could be an advertising teaser that is actually impractical to get results similar to.  I just dont know yet.

UnlikeTwinmotion, Lumion 8 is certainly closing in on Unreal. The new GI has improved 200% as apparent in teaser 2.

webimage2.png

22 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

UnlikeTwinmotion, Lumion 8 is certainly closing in on Unreal. The new GI has improved 200% as apparent in teaser 2.

webimage2.png

I agree - Twinmotion looked promising and in the end was total garbage.

Learning Unreal isn't easy - and Lumion really has an advantage there.  Also, what I see from Lumion is more direct output of desired media vs Unreal is designed to make games and so getting output the type we want isn't nearly as easy.

All that said, id have to say Unreal is the future.  I believe someone other than Twinmotion is going to come up with a focused architectural module as an overlay to Unreal.  Until that day arrives though I do agree Lumion is probably the most practical if it can really produce results like their demo.  I am a bit skeptical they've only release a couple teasers and the app is supposed to come out tomorrow.

Twinmotion looked like it was going to be awesome until it was actually released.

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

Twinmotion looked like it was going to be awesome until it was actually released.

Amen to that,

In 13 hours Lumion 8 will be released, and like the previous teasers before this, they did not make false claims. So I'm confident it will deliver.

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

Amen to that,

In 13 hours Lumion 8 will be released, and like the previous teasers before this, they did not make false claims. So I'm confident it will deliver.

I think they will deliver too...  Its just im not going to upgrade until I know for sure.  I've been learning Unreal but Lumion would be more practical for the reasons I noted above.

1 minute ago, johnny said:

I think they will deliver too...  Its just im not going to upgrade until I know for sure.  I've been learning Unreal but Lumion would be more practical for the reasons I noted above.

Yes, It's wise to wait...

I cannot, they already gave my L8 badge :lol:

zzz.thumb.jpg.3eff751c9826e6aa97e76b96bc04bd0f.jpg

Guys, what sort of money are we talking for Lumion 8 and or Unreal? I tried the Lumion 6 demo when it first came out for a commercial project I did in Chief X6. Also, would one of you guys be willing to do a short video on Lumion 8 and Unreal showing how you use it with a Chief Model for a basic Home on a lot with landscaping? 

Many Thanks.

35 minutes ago, mrscott said:

Guys, what sort of money are we talking for Lumion 8 and or Unreal? I tried the Lumion 6 demo when it first came out for a commercial project I did in Chief X6. Also, would one of you guys be willing to do a short video on Lumion 8 and Unreal showing how you use it with a Chief Model for a basic Home on a lot with landscaping? 

Many Thanks.

Lumion Pro is about $3400 while Unreal is free,

1 hour ago, mrscott said:

Many Thanks.

Hi Scott, if you wish to see what it really takes to achieve that level of realism check-out the tutorials here.

https://www.ronenbekerman.com/category/tutorials/making-of/

They go through the complete workflow including post production. Also, keep-in-mind that these are being done by the best of the best graphics designers.

Just dropping in our CA model and hitting render is just not going to do it.

Graham,

Thanks for the link and comments. I completely agree. I only wish more folks, like yourself, would be willing to go into more depth on how they achieve the results they post. I look at Forums like this as a place to learn and share the wealth. Not boast about how nice your work is. If one is after business then come out and say..."I can help you achieve results like this, one-on-one". If interested see the link below.

I actually have Lumion 6 Pro but have not had the time to explore it's potential as I need to get a better handle on CX and beyond. It is an income producer. The value highend stuff like Lumion, that could enhance the Chief models, has yet to be explored. First things First. I only wish there was an example video from one of the Lumion user on this site that would be willing to share the basic of how it is done and results achievable without having post production from several ADDITIONAL programs. I also have Photoshop CS5 for my photos but would have not clue what to do with video.

Thanks again,

20 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Lumion Pro is about $3400 while Unreal is free,

"free" is a bit relative.  Yes, Unreal is currently free to use for Architect/Designer.  I suppose that will change once there is a market created - and i've noticed the folks at Unreal really pushing for architects and planners to use their app.  They wouldn't care that much if they simply planned never to have that be an income generator for them.  I expect in the near future they will start to charge for Unreal when used for architecture/planning.

Also, unlike Lumion there aren't really any packaged resources for architectural.  There is a whole sub-industry (like Apple and Windows Store) of selling resources - and the cost adds up quick.  You can create your own, but that is just exchanging time for money - and you all know the saying.

Lastly, to answer Scott a bit - Unreal doesn't currently accept Collada or 3DS files directly.  FBx is emerging as the primary "resource" file type for those engines.  Autodesk makes a converter that is simple enough and free, but one thing that really makes Lumion nice is the ability to update your model file when changes are made.  Unreal you can do similar things but just more steps and adjustments.

Most CAD/BIM apps support Fbx but for some reason Chief hasn't provided this yet.

There are some good reasons to use Unreal over Lumion though.  Right now (pending tomorrows release) Unreal is MUCH better graphically.  Even after tomorrow Unreal will be better but if Lumion is like their demo id say "MUCH" goes to "somewhat".  I guess we will see.

Also, Unreal allows for some very cool additional things like letting future owners tour their home via game machines such as Xbox and Playstation using their game controller to move through the house like a video game.  You can also have interactive elements like turning on/off lights, plumbing fixtures, garage doors, and other cool animations.  Beyond that you can also do things with selection generators which on the fly change materials and colors at the users command though slick pre-built UI.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mrscott said:

I only wish there was an example video from one of the Lumion user on this site that would be willing to share the basic of how it is done

I never do post pro with Lumion and very rarely with Chief renders.

I have prepared a quick no voice-over workflow video of the image below... just for you. :)

Chief to Lumi.jpg

Jintu,

Thank you so much. Fast and quick but awesome. Ahh! The beauty of video...you can watch it over and over. What you did here speaks volumes about your character/. A true mentor willing to share his knowledge with those eager to learn. 

I recognize many of the steps from my limited work in 6 so, I hope the process has not changed from 6 to 7.5. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have inspired me to blow off trying to do a presentable image in Chief. I think I will shift to Lumion 6 until I can afford to upgrade and do all my stills in Lumion - along with a few videos. Seeing the wind blowing and people moving about will blow most people away.

I have photos of my current clients lot and can try to emulate the landscaping currently there. Question: Do you know of way to take a photo of the adjacent home(s) (There is a house on either side of the lot) and incorporate it into the Lumion scene without it looking awkward? It would certainly add to the dynamics of the final image. If not, I can landscape around the property line and  even show people walking in front of the house on the street and the trees blowing in the wind. Very cool and impressive. One more, This client has a golf course behind his house. If I take some photos of the area and send them to you, would it be possible for you to demonstrate, as your did here, how you would emulate the site?

Again, Thank you so much for the inspiring video

P.S. You are the Man! I only wish I could afford your fees BUT, I would be willing to contribute to your Paypal account for more specific tips and guidance. 

Do you know of way to take a photo of the adjacent home(s)

6 hours ago, mrscott said:

Question: Do you know of way to take a photo of the adjacent home(s) (There is a house on either side of the lot) and incorporate it into the Lumion scene without it looking awkward?

Easily done with still images but not if you are going for a flythrough

You may first try it in chief before importing to Lumion.

15 minutes ago, johnny said:

Jintu is Lumion 8 worth it?

One of the post I read said it was not as user friendly as Lumion ( my interpretation). I would like to see a comparison from a Chief user using both and see for myself. I own Lumion 6 Pro but am only not getting into it and it is relatively easy to use.

Any takers to my question?

I don't dispute the capabilities of these specialized renderers, their feature set is way beyond those of our poor little Ray Trace engine, no argument there. I do however feel that the Ray Trace engine is being underestimated and that these specialized renderers are being somewhat misrepresented by some as to what it really takes to obtain results such as that depicted in the Lumion 8 Bistro scene. So far, I have not yet seen any real projects posted by CA users that come anywhere close to this regardless of the rendering software being used, there must be a reason for this. Could it be that the skills and techniques needed only belong to an exclusive group of highly experienced experts, I think so.

I'm not suggesting that one not pursue these programs, just recommending that you do so with a proper understanding as to what is actually involved, especially if one is going to drop $3,000 or more. Just like CA, they way this software works is, "it's not what the software can do for you", "it's what you can do with the software".

Just an example. Here is an exterior Ray Trace with just a few adjustments in Photoshop.

5a02181ea5935_Untitled6_lzn1200sharplightblurMS3PS.thumb.jpg.3d2dc1aaf758ef1c5eeb616833b39c91.jpg

15 hours ago, johnny said:

Jintu is Lumion 8 worth it?

Johnny,

it's safe to say that it is.

Lumion almost completely overhauled the Effects interface for ease of use, especially for the new users.

Attached is the introduction to the new Rendering Styles, click a style and you are ready go., no need to adjust anything, this is most beneficial to new users.

Note: Common Style is the old interface.

In the sample scenes below, I used Daytime Style for both Exterior and Interior. What you see in the Teaser is really what you'll get.

The third interior render is Overcast, (sun brightness=0)

5a02ce0b2de93_renderingstyle.thumb.jpg.9d85e70f075fd27f6aade496169a1732.jpgdaytime.thumb.jpg.ffd9fac9e22a661e83605b9a0d4447a4.jpg5a02ce32b1c1a_daytimeinterior.thumb.jpg.df11bde5aa11206f14acabca708d87ce.jpgovercast.thumb.jpg.97b1d57a06d09a62634eebbd0422d457.jpg

• Upvote 1

You guys are killing me. I would hope that that there are

programs out there that can produce outstanding results,

but this is a Chief forum. I am all about achieving the best

possible results using Chief software. If you want to go

somewhere else fine but, let's focus on what's possible

with Chief.

• Upvote 1