interior wall elevations

cjanderson66

I am trying to do some interior elevations and I have a room with a vaulted ceiling.  When I do a wall elevation it is only giving me the lower half of the room and not including any of the vaulted portion.  Am I doing something wrong or does Chief not acknowledge the upper portion for wall elevations?

Hey Chris,

I do this all the time and would recommend a section view that is back clipped, and clipped to the sides so that the display goes just slightly beyond the wall you want to detail. Add a breakline to each side of the view and/or the top and bottom as needed. You can't clip the height of the camera ( that I know of ), however a white CAD box covering the floor below works well. Or the view can be cropped in layout.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I have been trying to find an acceptable work around as well. I tried the "balloon through ceiling" with no luck. I'm not satisfied with having to do a back-clipped cross section or CAD detail to get a wall elevation of a room with a vaulted ceiling.  I think if the ceiling is higher than the wall top plate then it should be shown in a standard wall elevation (but who cares what I think lol). I did find a work-around that was semi-acceptable but it wouldn't allow my rafters to be shown the way I wanted them...I forget exactly what I did but I wasn't crazy about the solution.

On 11/3/2017 at 4:02 PM, cjanderson66 said:

I am trying to do some interior elevations and I have a room with a vaulted ceiling.  When I do a wall elevation it is only giving me the lower half of the room and not including any of the vaulted portion.  Am I doing something wrong or does Chief not acknowledge the upper portion for wall elevations?

Well...I think you can get it to work.  Not sure if this process creates other problems...but, give it a try and see what you think.

OK...so the one caveat is that this method changes the ceiling height of the room...so, may not be a good solution. 

Step 1: Take a "Wall Elevation" Cameral view

Step 2: Click on the Wall

Step 3: Hit "TAB"...the selection nodes change to "small nodes"

Step 4: Drag this camera view "box" upward to reveal the entire wall. 

See pics below;

Step 1:  2020-02-04_16-39-14.thumb.png.782b481eb563e97c89fbb0ddf5ab30ce.png 

Step 2:2020-02-04_16-39-31.thumb.png.a8d9bd905379465eeb6836a795ef2324.png

Step 3: 2020-02-04_16-39-45.thumb.png.81e1211c38ebae8caa469bfae4308742.png

Step 4: 2020-02-04_16-44-10.thumb.png.dbeb0e0b1b0efa4f2e42814a1d87872c.png