Small Dims from '-" to inches

raltd9245

21 minutes ago, raltd9245 said:

I'm not sure how I change one small dimension to inches while leaving the remainder of the string feet and inches. Can anybody help me. Thanks

You can't do that in the one dimension string.

You will need to use 2 dimension strings, each with different formatting.

58 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You can't do it with one dimension line, if the distance you want in inches is over a foot.  In this case, I would use Glenn's method of using more then one dimension line.

mixed dimensions.png

There is no universe in which mixing dimensions over a foot - displayed in inches - with feet and inches in the same dimension string would be considered a good idea.

• Upvote 2

You could also utilise the Blank Segment option to not display the segment where the formatting is changed and then place another dimension line over the Blank Segment.

This has the advantage of keeping the integrity of the original dimension string, so that all the segments can be edited as one dimension string - ie, moved, formatted, etc.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dermot said:

You can't do it with one dimension line, if the distance you want in inches is over a foot.  In this case, I would use Glenn's method of using more then one dimension line.

mixed dimensions.png

Thank you Dermot for your feedback. I my opinion the dimension content is very lacking for this reason. As many of you know I started using CAd in the early days of pc cad., namely VERSACAD in the 80's. That program allowed what I'm asking for back then. Now here I'm going to get in trouble, You people at "ART" have to be more concerned about producing an efficient work product. In my opinion at times you are much more concerened with "colored hangers for 3D. Here is a very short list of missing function in Cheif.

1. Dimensions, just talked about- could be remedied by having a toggle on each dimension with the choise of ft or inches.

2. Metal door bucks and for windows.-  A must now that you are getting into light commercial work.

3. Steel joists. -  already discussed with work-a-rounnds that take time.- It seems if AlaskanSons. can put an elegant solution your programer could do the same.

4. realistic pocket door symbols.- seems like an easy fix that has been discussed for the last four verions or more.

5. Many more production items should be addressed.

I would suggest these items are available in many of your competitors products. You guys have made great strides on the whole in producing a mature product. I'm disapointed that so many of the "small" things fall through the cracks with your programers.

Just the rambelings of an old man interested in saving production time.

8 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Regarding the dimensions, according to Richard, this is a bad idea.  You two should discuss it and then let us know if we really need to change anything.

I'll throw in my two cents, as a home builder actually working in the field. I totally agree with Richard 100%. Most guys working in the trades are alpha males, and I would NOT want to be the designer who used mixed dimension notations, walking up to a framer who just had to rebuild a wall because he mis-read my print. Just sayin' :D

Of course, having the option doesn't force me to use it, so I can't say it's a bad feature for someone who wants to experience alpha rage. :D

I agree with Richard on this issue. 

• Dims 12" or more should be displayed as '-"
  • Dims < 12" should be displayed as "

That's the way I have my defaults set up and it works perfectly.  It would be great if when a specific dimension needed to be moved for graphic clarity that a leader be constructed automatically (option) connect to the dimension line. :wub:

Note that I generally try to limit small dimensions in the plans wherever possible.