HELP - 1 story ranch house w/ a raised entry landing

DMIAF1

Hi all, 

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple days now. I'm sure it's an easy solution that I just can't find the answer to.

I have a one story ranch-style home that has an elevated landing at the front entry. Does anyone know how to raise the walls to the top of the landing just for this small area at the front?

I've attached a photo below so you can see what I'm working with. I appreciate any help!

59fb4a973614c_entrylanding.thumb.JPG.e6a96be8f276f2036a9c1b97489e5aa5.JPG

3 minutes ago, solver said:

To get any help, you will need to describe what you want.

Chief creates .plan files, which is what you should attach -- make sure the plan is not open in Chief. But we need to know what you are trying to model.

It helps if we know what title (Premier or Interiors) and version (X8, X9 etc) you are using. You can add this info to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. Doing so makes it always available, and this info is often key to providing a good suggestion

We are using Chief Architecture Interiors x9. I have attached the DWG file for your viewing. 

My goal is to raise that small area where the front door entry is located. Once you enter the front door of the house there is a landing that is higher than the rest of the house, you will go down the three stairs and the remainder of the house is on the same "lower" lever. Does this make sense?

Boyett.dwg

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Chief creates .plan files, which is what you should attach -- make sure the plan is not open in Chief.

So, don't attach a .dwg file.

Okay, I wasn't able to attach the .plan file because it was too large which is why I exported it to a .dwg file. Not sure where to go from here. 

Raise how? It's already raised.

Raise the wall at the front and the front door so that it is even with the landing. There is a pony wall that is dividing the dining room from the entry. But as it stands now if you were to open the front door to go inside, you would walk right into the landing at your knee caps.

Think about floor and ceiling heights. In Chief, walls just (mostly) fill in between them.

So are you suggesting I raise the ceiling height and adjust where the door starts on this part of the wall and fill it in that way?

So, where do the floor and ceilings need to be?

1 hour ago, DavidJames said:

Create a room for that entryway that you want raised via invisible walls or the room divider tool. 

Once created, you can open up the Room Specification DBX and, under the structure tab, raise the floor and ceiling height to whatever you want. 

RAISED ENTRY 2.PNG

Thank you so much!!! This was most helpful. I am still playing with the details a bit so I may have some follow up question for you in the next day or two. I really appreciate your help, thanks David! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David, 

Your advise to create the raised entry was very helpful. Just a few follow up questions as I am just getting back around to working on this project. I feel like I've done trial and error for every setting but just keep getting the same results or worse! 

1. Do you know how to edit the exposed wall that is showing the studs? I need a half wall to divide the space from the dining room.

2. I am also not sure how to get the foundation slab to become invisible. 

If you are able to help, thank you! 

Also, Happy Thanksgiving! boyet.thumb.JPG.93d3e4513059126d15fa17854bc762af.JPG

It says the file is too large! Do you know a way around this? 

I've attached a photo but am unsure if I am able to attach the entire file... 

I am heading out of town, if I cant get back with you in a timely manner today I will reach back out on Monday. 

Thanks again! 

I ended up changing your railing to a half-height wall and using polyline solids to cover up the areas that were displaying concrete. 

I also made a room molding polyline in the raised area so that I could control where the molding was going/displaying (unfortunately I didn't have your baseboard profile in my library so you'll have to change it back). 

Entry Revised.jpg

Boyett_ProjectR1.zip

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DMIAF1 said:

Did you have official training on this software or are you self taught? I am trying to expand my knowledge and the chief arch videos are the best for me in terms of learning the program. 

I'm self-taught. Much like yourself, I found that the videos that Chief Architect has online, as well as the knowledgeable people in this forum is more than enough help. 

You're clearly utilizing both options so you're on the right path. Keep it up :)

• Upvote 1