Where is the trim option?

ED-209

Hi,

I'm trying to trim an imported model so that it doesn't leave gaps in the terrain, but the trim button is hidden too well for me to find.

I've added the pictures of my issue so you can see what I want to avoid.

Thanks.

Bad water.png

Bad water 2.png

I just want to do something like an "object break", if there is such a thing. At the moment it has a lot of protruding faces, and I want to shave those protrusions off to create a cuboid shape with six flat faces.

Once I have this, it will fit inside the terrain hole within the raised terrain region without any white gaps.

Thanks.

Ok this is a bit of a guess as you are not providing a plan file but it looks like maybe you have imported some sort of a Symbol terrain feature that is set to "Insert Into Terrain Hole"

Unfortunately you can only get a square or rectangular terrain hole that way but because you also have an elevation difference with the Symbol it is more of a problem and you might be better to work the terrain a little in combination with a Customized "Terrain Hole" to try and make a good fit.  Simply trimming the Symbol will not solve the whole problem however it is possible using "Uniform Stretch Zones"

Here is a video that Michael made for that process on a Door but it is really the same thing:    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZzdiUV8uo

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok this is a bit of a guess as you are not providing a plan file but it looks like maybe you have imported some sort of a Symbol terrain feature that is set to "Insert Into Terrain Hole"

Unfortunately you can only get a square or rectangular terrain hole that way but because you also have an elevation difference with the Symbol it is more of a problem and you might be better to work the terrain a little in combination with a Customized "Terrain Hole" to try and make a good fit.  Simply trimming the Symbol will not solve the whole problem however it is possible using "Uniform Stretch Zones"

Here is a video that Michael made for that process on a Door but it is really the same thing:    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZzdiUV8uo

That video doesn't apply as the cross section camera doesn't pick up the object I'm trying to trim.

I've added the file for you to look at, plus an image of the bits I want to cut off.

I still can't find the "trim" button.

Also, please add some punctuation in future replies, that was very hard to read.

Thanks.

Shaved water.png

Waterfalls.plan

It does not matter what camera you use to look at the object.  It is how you use the Uniform Stretch Zone controls for the symbol to carefully resize just the ends.  There is no button labeled trim.  If you want to do something big with one click just hit delete.

6 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It does not matter what camera you use to look at the object.  It is how you use the Uniform Stretch Zone controls for the symbol to carefully resize just the ends.  There is no button labeled trim.  If you want to do something big with one click just hit delete.

Something big with one what? That will delete the whole thing.

Also, I learned of the Trim button in the Chief Help Guide (image attached)

Trim button.png

Watch the video again and don't get frustrated.  This is a complicated procedure you are wanting to do.  The Trim tool will not work for this.  I will check back with you this evening if you genuinely can't figure it out.

12 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Watch the video again and don't get frustrated.  This is a complicated procedure you are wanting to do.  The Trim tool will not work for this.  I will check back with you this evening if you genuinely can't figure it out.

I'm not frustrated, I just want to cut/shave/trim/whatever the edges of a 3D model, and I don't understand why they've made that so difficult.

They did not make it difficult on purpose it is just not done very often and the tool is just a general tool.  And yes it could be much easier and likely is in other programs.   I will be free in about 5 hours and could make you a video or connect with you on Skype but I have another job to do right now.  The process will be as Michael describes at the end of the video for trimming the styles of a door.  Practice on a door and it should make sense as to how you could use that method on your symbol.

32 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

They did not make it difficult on purpose it is just not done very often and the tool is just a general tool.  And yes it could be much easier and likely is in other programs.   I will be free in about 5 hours and could make you a video or connect with you on Skype but I have another job to do right now.  The process will be as Michael describes at the end of the video for trimming the styles of a door.  Practice on a door and it should make sense as to how you could use that method on your symbol.

Very nice of you but I'll be in bed by then, plus I can draw lines on it anyway, as it doesn't show up in cross section view.

Thanks though.

22 hours ago, ED-209 said:

I'm not frustrated, I just want to cut/shave/trim/whatever the edges of a 3D model, and I don't understand why they've made that so difficult.

The Trim Tool is basically for CAD based objects and Framing AFAIK , not for cutting off portions of a Symbol ....without trying it I would of assumed the Chief Terrain could be pulled in around the symbol to cover the two ends....

Nice video Chopsaw.....

M.

On 02/11/2017 at 6:05 AM, Chopsaw said:

Good Morning ED,  I am sure Skype would have been more fun but I made a video for you instead to watch while I am sleeping.

Give that a try but if it fails here is the library symbol that I made.  Hope that helps.

Waterfall Fixed.calibz

Mate that's amazing, thanks so much for making that video; I'll be trying that out right now.

Thanks again.