Help w/Plot

mrrozhall

Hello everyone.  I have tried for hours to create a plot with the following measurements, and had zero success.  Attached is a pic of the plot w/dimensions.

I use X8.  I'm hoping someone can plug these numbers in to see what I'm doing wrong.  I really hoping I don't have incorrect measurements from the Surveyor.

1. 328.66' (N 32 06 29 W)
2. 357.36' (N 31 29 59 E)
3. 215.55' (S 75 08 45 E)
4. 34.59' (N 72 08 36 W)
5. 30.20' (S 76 15 03 W)

6. 126.16' (S 49 36 16 W)

Thanks always.

Roz

Lot Info.PNG

No, they are NOT the chord measurements. Your problem (I think) is that you are entering straight line distances (chords) when these are actually arc distances. For example, the 126.16' dimension is the arc length, NOT the chord length. You will need to know the radius of the arc, probably listed in a table.

Sorry to laugh a bit but I gave up on that method as soon as I did my first complicated survey.  I plot my surveys out with individual cad lines now and don't even use the input method for easy stuff that it likely would work for.  Ahhh...  Richard agrees but I have only reduced the gap to 60 13/16" with the new data.   There may in fact be an issue with the survey but I usually plot out some of the surrounding lines first to see if I have made any errors before contacting the surveyor.   Would you be able to share the whole survey.

Take a look and see what you think.  I have found several problems with surveys in my area using Chief so it is possible that the surveyor has made and error but I can't really say without the survey.  Sometimes an error will become very evident when the survey is scaled and usually it is just the result of a recording error of something being written down incorrectly or plotted out wrong.

Roz Survey 2.jpg

Roz Survey.plan

just draw a bunch of single lines and use point-to-point to move them into place. Should take about 5-10 min. max

I only did a few plots because I hated the input method

it should be "easy" to enter this data and get a plot

I stopped doing them and gave them to my partner to do

he has more patience than I do :(

CA needs to make the input method MUCH easier

Lew

Thanks everyone for your help.  I'm almost there.  I was able to use Chopsaw's plan as a "good enough" plot plan. 

I now want to bring in my house plan footprint onto this plot plan (named KIDD RAMBLE in CAD Detail Mgt).  However, when I do so CA brings in my house footprint but WITH ANOTHER previously drawn plot plan associated with it.  I don't know how to "dissociate" my house plan with the other plot plan.  In other words, I want to bring in my house plan footprint onto the "KIDD RAMBLE" plot plan.  But when I do this, I get another plot plan in addition to my house plan. So confusing!!!!

My X8 plan is attached.

Thanks again ya'll.  Much appreciated.

Roz

KIDD_RAMBLERIDGE_REDESIGN.plan

For anyone else who finds this thread with a similar problem, I for one LOVE the input method. Works like a charm, and is extremely useful if used correctly.

Yes, use "Chord Length" and their bearings (direction) for entering arcs. Then if you want, you can change the straight line to an arc and approximate the shape. There is a way to input arc data but I haven't been able to get it to work.

A problem I think some people have is not understanding the direction of the bearing angle. The CA input method expects you to go around the lot in one direction, either clockwise or counterclockwise. In the picture above in Post # 1, the surveyor has plotted the bearings going in both directions, so when inputting the data you must convert some of the lines to the other direction, or the resulting drawing will be wrong. This is easily done by exchanging the North/South directions in the bearing angle. For instance, Line #1 is indicated as going "Toward North, To The West":

To reverse this line, simply change its direction 180° this way:

1. 328.66' (S 32 06 29 E)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

For anyone else who finds this thread with a similar problem, I for one LOVE the input method. Works like a charm, and is extremely useful if used correctly.

Yes, use "Chord Length" and their bearings (direction) for entering arcs. Then if you want, you can change the straight line to an arc and approximate the shape. There is a way to input arc data but I haven't been able to get it to work.

A problem I think some people have is not understanding the direction of the bearing angle. The CA input method expects you to go around the lot in one direction, either clockwise or counterclockwise. In the picture above in Post # 1, the surveyor has plotted the bearings going in both directions, so when inputting the data you must convert some of the lines to the other direction, or the resulting drawing will be wrong. This is easily done by exchanging the North/South directions in the bearing angle. For instance, Line #1 is indicated as going "Toward North, To The West":

To reverse this line, simply change its direction 180° this way:

1. 328.66' (S 32 06 29 E)

Good advice, another useful point with input - is a closed polygon at the end that let's one know the survey was good, and is keyed in properly.  I have jurisdictions that kick plot plans out if not properly enumerated.

1 minute ago, Kelly_K said:

I have jurisdictions that kick plot plans out if not properly enumerated.

What do they do with surveys that do not close as I have never had one that does.   The one posted here is likely the closest I have ever seen to closing and it is within 1/16" but is not technically closed.  Also with a closed polygon I am unable to use the automatic line labels because we do not use South bearing on surveys.  I did give the tool another try after Chris posted and it does work but I still don't like it.

11 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

What do they do with surveys that do not close as I have never had one that does.   The one posted here is likely the closest I have ever seen to closing and it is within 1/16" but is not technically closed.  Also with a closed polygon I am unable to use the automatic line labels because we do not use South bearing on surveys.  I did give the tool another try after Chris posted and it does work but I still don't like it.

We must have better surveyors here I can't remember the last time I wasn't able to get one to close.  I am not sure what you are referring to about the automatic labeling not working - sooner or later you got to go south.:)

One more thing on arcs. They do not have to be approximated. Just:

1. Use the chord and continue to close the perimeter.

2. Then, select the arc's chord and change it from a line to a arc using the Change Line/Arc tool and make it arc the correct direction.

3. Then open the arc (if not still open), lock the chord and insert the radius from the survey.

9 minutes ago, Kelly_K said:

We must have better surveyors here I can't remember the last time I wasn't able to get one to close.  I am not sure what you are referring to about the automatic labeling not working - sooner or later you got to go south.:)

I remember seeing a CA training video that the plot line closed but did not display the same angle as the survey and we have to represent what is on the official survey because we are not surveyors.   

Surveyors I have talked to seem to record the actual field data as long as it is within acceptable margins and do not massage the data as some software programs are capable of doing.  They also have to make a special note if they do not agree with the data on the previous survey so they use the original data if it is with acceptable standards. We just don't seem to go South or record it that way and I was talking to Glenn in Australia and I understand they use Azimuth Bearings but have the same problem because they do not use the reverse angles for clarity.

Just wanted to thank everybody again.  You all helped me greatly figure this out.

Chrisbb,  many thanks as well.  I'd never thought to change directions and never knew CA assumed one direction for input.  Makes sense though.

Appreciate you all.

Roz