KITCHEN - PLACING OVEN INTO CABINET (PROBLEM)

interiorarch

Hello.

Please see attached screenshots & Chief Architect floor plan for reference.

I am currently building a kitchen for a client and am trying to place a steam oven and regular oven into full height base cabinets.  If you look go into the kitchen and look at the cabinetry tucked into the "cubby" made of drywall, on the left you will see a full height cabinet with two areas for appliances.  The ovens are both Sub-Zero/Wolf appliances featuring  dimensions directly from their website.  However,  when I go into my "Full Height Cabinet" Specification box - Front/Sides/Back - 6 Appliance & 8 Appliance - both Item Heights allow me to enter their actual size but the Width is locked out.  How do I unlock the width to make sure everything is as accurate as possible!  

Hopefully this all makes sense. 

Thank You!

(P.S. Happy Hallow's Eve...Watch out for the ghost and goblins creeping inside your cabinets.) 

KITCHEN_STEAM_OVENS_CABINET.png.55d898e5d4e547b8b24804a2fc5eab57.png

KITCHEN_OVENS_CABINET.png.35cd27a85981d21ea0dfc83b971c3f54.png

WOLF_OVENS.png.9fa443a1d38886730adc6e22a00a52e5.png

FLOOR_1_UPDATE_OCTOBER_HALLOWEEN.plan

As the appliance opening is the full available width of the cabinet then the width is determined by the overall width of the cabinet less the left/right style widths. If you wish the opening to be wider then you need to make the cabinet wider. Also, you should download the installation sheets for those appliances, they will give you the actual opening requirements based upon how they are going to be mounted.

If you need a wider opening for your appliance then you need to build a wider cabinet. 

If you need a narrower opening, then you can either use a narrower cabinet or you can build a narrower appliance opening. 

Take a look at the attached plan and picture.  It has a simple full height cabinet but instead of an appliance section stacked vertically, it has a horizontal layout with two extra vertical separations around the appliance section.  You can adjust the width of these separations to create any sized appliance opening you need.

appliance section.png

appliance section.plan

Here's what I personally do FWIW...

I typically check the appliance specs and set up the cabinet and opening(s) accordingly.  Then I place the properly sized appliance manually.  I just personally find that placing the appliance via the cabinet DBX to be less accurate and far more error prone.  

• Upvote 2

I do what Micahel does since I need to order the cabinet with opening sizes correct. For the appliance I usually alter the symbol to be just that part that sticks out and has the correct overall dimensions. It's easier than trying to make the symbol fit into the correct opening size.

In those cases with multiple appliances and different size openings size the cabinet for the widest opening. Split openings that need to be narrower in the DBX and have separations or blank areas to shrink the opeing.