New laptop specs?

GeneDavis

I'm thinking something smaller and lighter than the big Asus gamer I got from Joe Carrick a few years ago.  It's been great, but it's a load.

See my specs below for the Asus, and tell me whether a Microsoft Surface Pro might deliver same performance, and of course, which Surface Pro.  Thanks.

Gene:

start with this Surface Pro 5

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?cp=1&searchType=search&id=pcat17071&st=surface pro 5&qp=processormodelsv_facet%3DProcessor Model~Intel 7th Generation Core i7^systemmemoryram_facet%3DRAM~8 gigabytes

add more ram or more SSD if desired

jumpsticks (128 or 256 GB) and external drives (2 TB $79) are easy to add via USB

Surface only has 1 USB  port - but I have a very small hub that gives 4 ports

and has its own power supply if needed

for $80 I bought a CD/DVD/Blue-ray player - to use as needed

I also have the HDMI wireless adapter so I can display Surface on my 60" tv at home

and another for my 42" tv at my musuem

as for running Chief ? - I'm retired and don't use the Surface for that

still run on my old laptop and my old desktop

Lew

Even my Surface 3 will run Chief , I use it if working out of town mostly , but it is no speed demon especially in 3D as it only has the integrated Intel HD Graphics. I use a mini display-port to HDMI adapter to view it on larger screens if needed.

An option maybe a 15.6" gaming laptop for transporting and then connect it to a larger monitor in the Office.... Lenovo, Acer, Asus, MSI, all have options in that category...

a few are mentioned in this thread.....

• 1 month later...

The Specs on your current laptop look pretty good to me ? , that MSI one is a bit over the top for a Laptop IMHO at $3K USD,  like most stuff here it would cost me $5K after taxes ........https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154698

but personally I'd spend on a better desktop and some nice monitors like BenQ's 32" models, I like mine at 2560x1440. ( I found stuff too small at 4K )

Only had 1 17" laptop and it was too heavy to use as a laptop for hauling around , this MSI one is 9lbs , so you will need a good Shoulder....

You could save $900USD ($2100) AND get a free backpack and laptop Cooler:)

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT73VR-TITAN-427-BUNDLE-i7-7820HK/dp/B0721KY2MT

or this one with 32GB RAM + bundle for an extra $100 ($2200)

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT73VR-TITAN-427-BUNDLE-i7-7820HK/dp/B01M0XG3ZA

not sure you really need a 1080 for 3D CAD.....

Be aware there is currently an issue with the Killer NIC/Wifi Cards causing Routers to Fail under heavy loads , I know for instance that TP-Link has several models effected by this issue.

M.

Just got the smaller machine in my sig-runs X9. I only tested a small plan but had sent a 25mb plan to Graham who has the older version and it's just fine. Not going to be Raytracing on it. For what I had in mind it's fine and the price was right last week. If I wanted a better light secondary machine I'd wait for the 8th generation HQ series, will be more video card options when that happens early 2018.

The larger Sager is all else I use with up to 3 external monitors and generally unrestrained bad behavior, If I were getting a new machine now I'd get another- current verison with an 8700k

From what I've seen and checking loads on my machine I'd aim for a 1060 GPU as the most bang for the buck (6BG) and stick the extra $$ somewhere else. I always add in an Intel card, my Sager has both that and the Killer card. For hauling the beast,  I sprung for an Everki Titan a few months back after I checked just about every pack on the market (in another life I was a pattern/sample maker/craftsman/designer in the leather industry). It's almost as nice as my Ospreys.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Be aware there is currently an issue with the Killer NIC/Wifi Cards causing Routers to Fail under heavy loads , I know for instance that TP-Link has several models effected by this issue.

I have that killer card and haven't seen any problems yet, also 1gig speed, maybe I haven't put a heavy load yet.

MSI GT73VR TITAN PRO-872 17.3" 120Hz 5ms Display Extreme Gaming Laptop i7-7820HK GTX 1080 8G 32GB 1TB SSD + 1TB

• Display: 17.3" FHD, Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 120Hz 5ms 94% NTSC 1920 x 1080 | Keyboard: Steel Series Full-color backlight with Anti-Ghost key + silver lining
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7820HK (2.9 - 3.9GHz)
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8G GDDR5X
  • RAM: 32GB (16G*2) DDR4 2400MHz 4 Sockets; Max Memory 64GB | HDD: Super RAID 1TB SSD [512GB*2] M.2 SATA + 1TB (SATA) 7200rpm
  • Special Features: 120Hz 5ms Display | VR Ready | RGB Steel Series Keyboard | Nahimic 2 Audio | Thunderbolt 

I've passed my Laptop onto my wife and I need to have a laptop for field work. I also need this power house (i7-7820HK running 2.9 - 3.9 Ghz boost out of the box) it is overclockable, and the 1080 8gb Titan GTX GPU all to make Lumion 8 Pro sing! My Dual Xeon works okay with Lumion it is only slightly above the acceptable benchmarks recommendation so, it's time to get upgrade. Yes this laptop is bigger and heavier than my current Del (see specs in signature), I will also be able to take advantage of the Thunderbolt 3 port to attached my three external 24" monitors and essentially have a new Workstation all-in-one. Given how I am ranking the value for $2999.00, I'm confident there is little out there that will surpass it at this price point. 

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have that killer card and haven't seen any problems yet, also 1gig speed, maybe I haven't put a heavy load yet.

Usually happens with multiple users on Wifi , or someone is using Bit-torrent or Other P2P software , the Router will lockup after a period and has to be Rebooted , constantly if the offending laptop stays connected.  But there are Beta Router Firmwares' and newer Drivers from Killer Networks which have helped in alot of cases.

The TP-Link Archer C7 V2/V3 , (D7 too) Beta Firmware for example is working great , at least for me , no lockup since installing it last week....

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?94180-Archer-C7-router-crashed-by-Dell-laptop-with-Killer-adapter&p=195886#post195886

The issue is not restricted to TP-Link Routers from what I read though.

M.

Scott-Didn't notice the drives, still the MSI starts with no name drive Sager starts with a Western Digital. (I'm a Samsung fan). the ram can be had no sweat.
I'd still be going for the newer processors (and I'm a hardcore Clevo fan). I'd also aim for a smaller but better SSD for the C drive and a HDD for storage
Might call the folks at XoticPC and talk with them-buncha geeks who use and service the machines they selll (Sevena gaming brand availbale)

33 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

You can get all that and an 8700k for the same money

Mark,

This is what I found.

NP9877 Notebook

$3,713.00      X  UpdateIn stock: 12/19/2017

Remove | Edit

$3,713.00

Components
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor ( 6 Cores, 12MB Smart Cache, 3.70GHz Base / 4.70GHz Max )
- 17.3" 3K QHD, 120Hz 5ms Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (2560 x 1440) Back Order! (ETA: 12/19/2017) 
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU with 8GB GDDR5X Video Memory
- Stock Standard Thermal Compound
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 2400MHz - 2 X 16GB [+$199.00]
- 1TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD - Slot 2 [+$695.00]
- 1TB 5400rpm SATA3 Hard Drive
- Killer Dual Band Wireless-AC 1535 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

Software & Services
- Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

- Close

NP9175-S Notebook

$3,999.00      X  Update

Remove | Edit

$3,999.00

Components
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor ( 6 Cores, 12MB Smart Cache, 3.70GHz Base / 4.70GHz Max )
- 17.3" Full HD IPS Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080)
- 90 days No Dead Pixel Guarantee Screen Calibration
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU with 8GB GDDR5X Video Memory
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 2400MHz - 2 X 16GB
- 2TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- 1TB 5400rpm SATA3 Hard Drive
- Killer Dual Band Wireless-AC 1535 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

Software & Services
- Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty

A 500GB PCIe 960 EVO (vs Pro) should be easily enough ( what I have in my Desktop) , save the money and get a 1 or 2 TB 7200RPM HD instead for Storage ( 5400 slow but ok for just Storage , they use them to keep heat down)

Possibly 2 x 960 EVO 500GB since you have the Budget....( do you need more than a Terabyte Total?) if the Computer is Raid 0 capable , not sure Raid is needed with PCIe .M2 drives though....

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

A 500GB PCIe 960 EVO (vs Pro) should be easily enough ( what I have in my Desktop) , save the money and get a 1 or 2 TB 7200RPM HD instead for Storage ( 5400 slow but ok for just Storage , they use them to keep heat down)

Possibly 2 x 960 EVO 500GB since you have the Budget....( do you need more than a Terabyte Total?) if the Computer is Raid 0 capable , not sure Raid is needed with PCIe .M2 drives though....

Kbird,

I can't modify the MSI unit so I model the two SAGER offerings as best as I could to mirror their "upgrade offerings"  to get the price as close as possible to the MSI. I agree with Mark as, too, would like the 8700 6 core at 3.7GHz standard clock speeds BUT, SAGER is not a on Lumion 8 recommended list of Gold level Laptops so, I will need to check with them first.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Ahhh ok , thought you were still asking for ideas/recommendations .....Sager has a great name , has for years as Mark said....  but with your budget any laptop should be incredible...

no way I'd go back to 24" monitors after switching to a couple of 32" ones though ...just saying..... but maybe you don't need to save a $1000 to get them too :)

Mick.

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Ahhh ok , thought you were still asking for ideas/recommendations .....Sager has a great name , has for years as Mark said....  but with your budget any laptop should be incredible...

no way I'd go back to 24" monitors after switching to a couple of 32" ones though ...just saying..... but maybe you don't need to save a $1000 to get them too :)

Mick.

Mick,

The external Monitors are part of my Workstation config and don't plan to upgrade those anytime soon. I also have a 46" 1920 x 1080 display as my 4th monitor above the other 3. BUDGET....well, I would like to stay under 3K but as we have all come to learn with technology, Moore's Law is out the Window these days so, it is best to get the Best you can today are risk upgrading soon than expected and well, there goes the any sort of budgeting.

Thanks to Mark I have tabled the MSI unit and am actually looking at this one. 

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP9877-S.html

Start with the NP9175 which is full HD same as the MSI instead of adding in $$QHD.
I configured this at Xotic

Operating System: 1 x Windows® 10 Pro 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled (Clean Install | Drivers Only | No Bloatware) (SKU: SGR6825)
    Graphics Video Card: 1 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (8GB) GDDR5X (Pascal) DX12 (SKU: SGR91721080)
    Ram: 1 x 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory (SKU: SGR8156R32)
    Slot 1 M.2 SATA/PCIe: 1 x 500GB Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD (SKU: SGR1201)
    2.5" Bay 1: 1 x 1TB (7200rpm) (SKU: sgr9643)
    Wireless Networking / Bluetooth:
    1 x Intel® Dual Band AC 8265 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 [M.2 Chip] (SKU: SGR6876)
for $3034, likely the about the same price if you put two 256 in Raid 0.
FWIW they almost always run a sale right around Christmas-New Years. Saves 1-300 bucks. Though the model I listed will be popular with the gamers.

Sager isn't on a lot of places "lists" mostly only find reviews from hardcore gamers or notebook sites. Clevos is the largest laptop maker in the world, maybe the largest gaming maker, there are a lot of boutique brands out there that are nothing more than Clevos with a nice logo. Sager is no BS brand. Before Dell bought them ALL alienware laptopsa were Clevos. I've been running nothing but laptops for about 12 years, on my second Clevo and there is another in my future when the 9th gen CPU and Volta comes out next year.

20 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Usually happens with multiple users on Wifi , or someone is using Bit-torrent or Other P2P software , the Router will lockup after a period and has to be Rebooted , constantly if the offending laptop stays connected.  But there are Beta Router Firmwares' and newer Drivers from Killer Networks which have helped in alot of cases.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out.