As-built blues: how to best do walls and roofs that get refinished

GeneDavis

I am getting into remodels with as-builts, and it's all new to me.  All has been new construction until now.

This, as a service to a builder, a good friend, who brings me jobs already designed by an architect.  

Archy does floor plans and elevations only.  My scope is to redraw in Chief, focus on structural and details, and get as accurate a material list as possible.

These jobs usually have some parts of the as built getting new siding, or roofing, or drywall and finish.  Maybe new doors or windows.

For as built walls and roofs, I have been making them with one or more layers of insulation air gap materials, only going with "real" materials for the finish that will be done new.

Is there a better way?

I don't think there is any right answer.  I think you're just going to have to figure out what works best for you.  Just a reminder though about one feature we have that may get overlooked pretty easily...

You can always place objects onto their own unique layers and either check or uncheck material list for that particular layer in any given layer set.  Just remember that your material list will generate based on the settings in your current layer set.

Not that this is related to the CA portion but regarding materials lists- I would be careful.

I not only design quite a few remodel but build them out and the one thing I can tell you with 100% certainty is that there is nothing certain about the exact amount of materials required in them.

you can never be sure what's behind those walls- under those floors - above those ceilings- until the demo is done.

I am sure you can get close but a disclaimer to your builder might be a good idea.;)

1 hour ago, RL-inc said:

Not that this is related to the CA portion but regarding materials lists- I would be careful.

I not only design quite a few remodel but build them out and the one thing I can tell you with 100% certainty is that there is nothing certain about the exact amount of materials required in them.

you can never be sure what's behind those walls- under those floors - above those ceilings- until the demo is done.

I am sure you can get close but a disclaimer to your builder might be a good idea.;)

I will 2nd this comment as I do similar Work , the ML only has in it what is modelled , ie no glue, nails, screws, hangers etc on the "hardware side" , and generally allows no waste %, not all calculations are 100% accurate or done the Industry Standard way etc , so be careful.

Unfortunately the ML portion of CA has not been programmed by/with help from a Quantity Surveyor , it only extracts exactly whats in the model , so using workarounds etc can alter quantities or they aren't reported at all.... personally I find CA's ML alot of work and I don't trust it , I wouldn't use it for a fixed priced Contract for sure...

M.

I attach this  note to proposals to do as-built drawings.

( I got most of it from home inspection proposals.)

Feel free to copy and use if needed.

NOTE - As Built Plan Limitations

As built drawings are limited to observable conditions.

All are subject to verification in the field. 

Among things that limit observation are: interiors of finished rooms, floors under covering, interior of hollow walls, space between floor and ceiling or soffits, structural segments to which there is no access without defacing or tearing out lumber/insulation/masonry or finished work, painted surfaces and built in cabinetry.