Cannot join duncecap turret roof to the intersecting one

GeneDavis

Local Chief user asked for help and I cannot fix this.

A conical staircase turret roof intersects a planar section of roof, and he has not been able to get roofs to intersect there.  Is there known issue with sections of conicals intersecting?  

2017-10-24_1553.png

I cannot post the plan as it is not my work.

Figured it out.  Conical roofs are joined groups of many piecut segments, and each is handled separately.  I had to break the cut in the planar roof into segments to closely match those of the cone, and get the opening close before joining one by one.

Conical roofs.  Why so popular?  Seems like an expensive ornament to me.

Yes Gene 

That is exactly how to go with it. But would like to explain few tips I thought will help speeding up the process, for any one interested.

In general, boolean operation are helpful to practice in manual roofing, I remember a number tips I shared here that I tried to show how booleans help in manual roofing.

Here are the steps for any one that doesn't fully understand Gene's method.

1- draw circle on the main roof where you want to place the cone in plan view.

2- place a point marker by snapping the center of circle

3- convert the circle in to straight segments( say 12 sided polygon that would result 30° strips)

4- draw a roof plne by using one of the 12 segments created in step-3 above and drag it to the center point, then reshape it to the triangular strip as Gene mentioned. Don't forget to adjust its slope to be higher than the main roof.

5 - select the main roof and subtract the cad polygon by using "subtract poly lines" tool)

6- replicate by rotating the roof strip using the current point by inputing 11 as the number of copies created.

Now you are ready to just use join roofs to get where the pieces will join the main roof, use "join roof" one by one (or just half of them and use mirror to produce the rest 6)

6- finally delete polygonal opening and copy all the conical roof strips by marque selecting, and temporarily keep it on to your clipboard to paste it back holding position after doing next step(7) 

7- select all the twelive strips in plan view and unify them using " unify poly lines" command and deduct it from the main roof to create the exact opening in the main roof

8- paste the conical roof back from your clipboard by using paste hold position, view it in 3d.

Done.

conical roof.jpg