Preparing for certification exam

stager386

I just upgraded to Premier and need to begin preparing for the cert exam. There is an outline of what you need to know for the exam, but it's so vague and there isn't a corresponding study/training area so that I can make sure to learn each area specific to what the exam will ask.  Any advice on there on how to study for this?  Thanks.

Question 1: why do you need to be certified ?

Question 2:  have you reviewed the list of videos on CA's website ?

Question 3: can you create models now ?

if not, then create many models of houses first before worrying about certification

Question 4: have you taken any of CA's classes - especially the Intermediate and Advanced ?

Lew

Certification is a great goal as it helps you and others, who may wish to hire you, know you have attained a minimum level of proficiency in the software.

My recommendation would be to take a look at our new tutorial guide which was recently released and provides a good start for learning the program. It is designed to be used as a classroom text and has learning objectives stated at the start of each chapter.

You can download it free or purchase a hard copy here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/documentation.html

Beyond that use the training video, knowledge base, and the very excellent advice you can get from this forum to fill out your knowledge of Chief.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Derek_Ohio said:

Does anyone know what type of exam it is or if it has different sections?  TIA!

There is a PDF linked on the Certification Page ( and below ) but that is all the Help they will give , I inquired last year after seeing this post originally and they do not have Old Tests to Bone up on and find weak Spots etc with.

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/training/certification-competency-matrix.pdf

I assume that was 2003 Scott ? Not sure there were many Users in 1953 :)  bit before I was playing with CA either Way.

M.

• Upvote 1

Haha thanks @dshall!  Definitely one of the reasons I was thinking of taking it soon was to see what I really need to work on (not that I don't already know theres a bunch I could improve...) and then just retake the exam after a bit more practice and experience.  And ya, I don't think I'd include in a signature unless it was very specifically added to an email or two.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

There is a PDF linked on the Certification Page ( and below ) but that is all the Help they will give , I inquired last year after seeing this post originally and they do not have Old Tests to Bone up on and find weak Spots etc with.

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/training/certification-competency-matrix.pdf

I assume that was 2003 Scott ? Not sure there were many Users in 1953 :)  bit before I was playing with CA either Way.

M.

Thanks!  That's quite the list for grading, but it's good to see it all broken down, thanks!  I'm guessing the test is some kind of sample build to test actual working knowledge and not just written?

3 minutes ago, Derek_Ohio said:

Thanks!  That's quite the list for grading, but it's good to see it all broken down, thanks!  I'm guessing the test is some kind of sample build to test actual working knowledge and not just written?

This is the only Info I have , you could try Emailing her and ask more Questions.... I am sure there are Others who would like to know too.

===============================================================================

Hello Mick,

Thank you for your interest in Chief Architect Certification Exam!

You can take the exam whenever you feel ready. We just need about a 2 week window to schedule a time that will work for both us and you. The exam is 4 hours long and is done online. You will need the program too as you will be working in the program and have a plan to you will need to submit at the end. There are no practice exams but if you do not pass the first time included is one free retake with your purchase. The exam can be done in X9 we will not have the X10 exam ready for at least a couple months.

Please let me know if you have any further questions at this time.

Best Regards,

Jessica Beck
Training Services |  Chief Architect® Software
208.292.3400  |  jessica@chiefarchitect.com

Professionals: ChiefArchitect.com
DIY: HomeDesignerSoftware.com
Mobile for As-Builts: RoomPlannerSoftware.com

Join Chief Architect at the
International Builders’ Show & KBIS
January 9-11 in Orlando

This was the first reply I got and I replied with the format question as well, so I'll post that when I get a response again!

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your interest in Chief Architect Certification Exam!

We do not have a set training program to prepare for the exam but we do have many resources available to help get you prepared.

Training Resources available to help you prepare:

·         Training Videos (free for anyone to watch)

·         Online Webinars  - 4-Part Training ($245 or $183.75USD w/SSA discount)

·         Physical Classes – discount available for SSA Members

Ø  Next Available: Boston, MA April 5-6th, 2018 – 2-day (Introductory or Intermediate or Kitchen, Bath & Interiors) training

Ø  St. Louis MO May 17-18th, 2018 – 2-day (Introductory or Intermediate or Kitchen, Bath & Interiors) training

·         Knowledge Base –full of step by step how to’s with pictures

·         Reference Manual & Tutorial Guide

Ø  Available in PDF form thru the program. Physical copies available for purchase.

Ø  Tutorial Guide - Project based, illustrated tutorials with learning objectives and assessment questions. Approximately 600 pages.

·         Online Personal Training – available for training you on your specific plan/questions (paid service; advanced scheduling required)

There are is a list of competency areas on the website.  Cost for the exam $195USD or $97.50USD with the SSA discount if qualify and includes one free retake if you do not pass the first time.

When ready we offer the certification exam over the internet so it can be schedule at any time that works for both you and our proctor. Typically a two week notice is needed. Simply contact us when you are ready via emailtraining@chiefarchitect.com with your requested testing date/time (include time zone) and we can compare against our schedule availability.

Please let me know if you have any further questions at this time.

Best Regards,

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

M.

Mick,  I might be wrong,  it may not of been 1953,  I know it wasn't '49,  Perry is getting old,   I think Lew posted a time line a few years ago on the release dates,  I started in November  '05 with Perry and X-10,  X-12 may of been '08,  if that was the case,  then I took the test in '09 at the UGM,  yep,  that was it,  '09,  my first UGM meeting.

In '11 I attended my second UGM,  I was in Prague that year when they released X-13 and I remember doing a GTM in a little bar in Prague,  or Krakow or Budapest,  whatever city I was in..... I didn't win too many points with Lynn on that trip.

• Upvote 1