create a raised slab

fgernst

35 minutes ago, fgernst said:

In my area of South East Virginia, builders are going to a raised slab. Usually a footer with 2 or 3 courses of block, then filled with sand, insulation board around the inside edge of block, and a slab on top.  I'm new to Chief Architect, so what is the best way to do this?

Palmer-Turn-6-foundetails1 (1).pdf

If you are asking how Chief might be able to recreate the structure you've defined automatically then it MIGHT be possible, or you could stick bamboo shoots under your fingernails, which would probably be less painful. I would take the route Chris (above) suggests and draw a plan view that represents the floor/foundation plan then add specific details to define the actual construction technique. The details you show, applied to their respective locations are pretty close to enough to complete your working drawings IMO. You will probably need a section to represent the construction but that's not too hard to accomplish with Chief's CAD tools. Again trying to get Chief to recreate that technique could be a very large handful.

44 minutes ago, solver said:

Not exactly sure what you want, but changing the floor structure to concrete and creating a new wall type for your stem wall should get you close.

I've set the slab inside the stem wall, but it could also go on top.

ct2.thumb.jpg.9f4f68cd069c44a0c3951c211ef7c7e3.jpg

Also, posting images and not files containing images is preferred when appropriate.

ct1.thumb.jpg.02cb2ee60d8478ea7a9e654900bee66f.jpg

Nice Eric - I'm going to forego the bamboo shoots. :o

This type of Foundation is the goto Foundation in NZ ( and Oz?) in alot of areas , so the Guys and Gals from Downunder may have some pointers for you but as Eric has shown it can be done , it may just be a PITA 1st time around as you will need a new foundation wall type etc setup.

I haven't tried it but the top block with the inside only 1/2 height/thickness maybe difficult to show but i think you could use a ponywall with 8" thick CMU as the lower wall and 4" thick CMU as the upper wall to get close.

**edit ...the ponywall does work ( set both heights to -8) but the Slab doesn't auto fill the floor to the 4" block but you can always use a custom slab to do that

Capture11.JPG

5 hours ago, solver said:

Not sure what I did differently.

ct1.thumb.jpg.50c50e6e092c064042058e6d73b046d1.jpg

Me either ?  probably I was in too much of a rush to get out of the Office and missed a Setting? .....post you plan and I'll check... I am sure the OP can use it too.

Here we would put the vertical Insul. on the outside of the foundation wall and the whole slab would have 4" of rigid under it. On the inside is better than nothing and means you don't need to protect the Foam from Damage on the exterior though... eg with a cap and Stucco....