New System Seems Slow

thorn-ecoc

Fellow Chief users.

I'm attaching a rough plan that I salvaged from a backup I found. (I posted about my house burning down, losing everything and my dislike for Window 10 on my new system a couple weeks ago)

Anyway... I finally have this new system up and running and trying to get back to work. Please forgive the sloppiness of this very preliminary plan....

On my old system a back clipped cross section or a perspective overview were pretty much instantaneous. On the new system a section takes 4 seconds and a perspective overview takes 3+ seconds.

Can some of you you provide me with your render settings from preferences, or maybe specific NVIDIA  3d settings that you may have set to improve performance.

Thanks10-23-17.plan

Slow Plan.plan

Are you sure Chief is using the Geforce 1060 and not the GPU biult into the i7-7700K ?  cos you plan is fine here.....less than a sec. for sections or overviews on my 980ti.

in Nvidia Control Panel , in manage 3D settings on the Program Tab make sure the 1060 is the GPU chosen not the iGPU  ( intergrated graphics) and see if that helps.....its a common problem on laptops with decicated graphics cards too...

29 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Are you sure Chief is using the Geforce 1060 and not the GPU biult into the i7-7700K ?  cos you plan is fine here.....less than a sec. for sections or overviews on my 980ti.

in Nvidia Control Panel , in manage 3D settings on the Program Tab make sure the 1060 is the GPU chosen not the iGPU  ( intergrated graphics) and see if that helps.....its a common problem on laptops with decicated graphics cards too...

Good point Mick - Also, especially for Laptops, you may need to set your Windows power plan to performance. Many of the newer laptops will flip between the discrete card and the integrated graphics chip as a means to extend battery life. Putting your power plan on performance will override this.

1 minute ago, thorn-ecoc said:

Checked that............disabled the Intel Graphics 630 in device manager also to be sure.

This is really bothering.........just going up and selecting the drop down list for the section view and I get the little blue circle for a couple seconds

I would not recommend disabling the integrated chip via the device menu. If you have any issues with the discrete card you will have no screen at all, even on a reboot. If the cards specific setup is done properly as Mick suggests and you change your power plan to performance then everything should be fine.

6 minutes ago, thorn-ecoc said:

Checked that............disabled the Intel Graphics 630 in device manager also to be sure.

This is really bothering.........just going up and selecting the drop down list for the section view and I get the little blue circle for a couple seconds

I had slow downs yesterday and it was cos win10 was trying to update to Win10 1709 ( Fall Creators edition) , once I allowed it to complete and rebooted everything was back to normal.....

check Settings>Updates and Security>  see if it is waiting for a restart ?

M.

As this is a new computer and if you purchased this complete versus a self -built you may be a victim of "Bloat Ware". Norton and Mcfee trial antivirus software is a great example of this. Best way to find out is open up Task Manager and select the Startup tab.This will show a list of all the programs that are being loaded up upon startup. Find them and check disable and reboot. Personally with windows 10 you really don't need any other antivirus software and the Windows 10 Defender seems to be very low on resource usage.

While in the Task Manger you can also check under the Processes tab, this will show you CPU, disk, memory and network usage of each program. When you are not doing anything the % CPU usage should not be any higher than about 2%. If it's constantly running at say 20% then it's very likely things could feel a bit laggy. Find the one in the list and then you can start to track it down to see if it is needed or not.

I'll check the bloat ware. This is the first desktop computer I've ever bought. With my circumstance I thought it would be quicker to get back up and running.  I am now regretting my decision and should have just built one and installed windows 7...........

yours specs don't seem bad , are you on a SSD or standard hard drive?  been a few years since I ran windows off a HD and now I have a .M2 PCIE SSD things are pretty quick.

You can always reinstall Win10 Clean if you think it is a bloatware issue....

Thorn-ecoc, I just downloaded your plan and it is unlikely to be your computer. There is something in it that is requiring a lengthy model rebuild before the camera view can open. CA must do a lot of computations before the model can be sent to your graphics display card and it seems to be this function that's slowing it down. This happens if there is some very complex modeling to do or something in the model is causing a conflict. Will take a deeper look to see if I can find it.

Unfortunately I can not replicate the lengthy 3D model rebuild I got the first time, maybe just a fluke.

Do you get this lag on all your plans now? Once the view opens does everything seem to be fine form there on, the mouse zooms in & out normally, panning. Does this happen on new plans or just plans prepared before your computer change over?

I am using an SSD drive,

Plan seems to suddenly be working almost at normal speeds. I don't know if, or why it would have anything to do with the slow down, but he place that I am temporarily staying has a very sporadic internet service.

If I do a clean install of anything I'd likely go back to Windows 7, but I guess I should see if I get used to 10

1 hour ago, thorn-ecoc said:

sI am using an SSD drive,

Plan seems to suddenly be working almost at normal speeds. I don't know if, or why it would have anything to do with the slow down, but he place that I am temporarily staying has a very sporadic internet service.

If I do a clean install of anything I'd likely go back to Windows 7, but I guess I should see if I get used to 10

Who knows with these things, sometimes there are little glitches that just seem to be short lived. I would recommend giving Windows 10 a bit of time, it's actually very good. I've been using it since it's inception and would not go back to Windows 7 now that I'm comfortable with it.

7 hours ago, thorn-ecoc said:

If you want to control your operating system then go back

to Windows 7. If you don't care if Microsoft controls every

aspect of your operating system then go with Windows 10.

9 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

If you want to control your operating system then go back

to Windows 7. If you don't care if Microsoft controls every

aspect of your operating system then go with Windows 10.

Not 100% sure what "control" refers to. I'm not aware of any settings that can't be accessed in Windows 10 that can be accessed in Windows 7. In fact Windows 10 has many new features that in my opinion provide greater customization options if one feels the need to do so. What has changed is that in Windows 10 accessing these settings has been shifted down one level, they have a new settings section that addresses the most commonly needed ones. If one feels the need to access these deeper settings on a regular basis then they can be placed on the desktop, taskbar and  other quick access menus.

The only settings that that I'm a ware of that may be different from windows 7 is the Group Policy editor if your version of Windows 10 is the Home edition. It's there in the installation files but is not installed. Not really sure why there would be any real need to access this but it can be done through a third party app that will force those files to be installed or just upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.